• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

It’s been a while

I wasn't aware that you could have even a rimfire short firearm (even if if has a fixed brace)...I've learned something new today... Is it for target/club use only? How long is it over all? How long is the barrel.
I do a fair bit of trapping and have requested a limited capacity pistol for humane dispatch but was turned down flat by Powys. I was told to use an air pistol for rats or small game and a shotgun for dispatching foxes.

I thought it was illegal to hunt/kill with an air pistol?

No, I don't think so......... but it is definitely illegal to cause unnecessary suffering hence only using an air pistol on rats and small game when clearing live capture traps. Hunting would be another matter as shot placement of a sub 6 f/lb pellet would have to be consistently perfect which would be beyond most people and a cause of unnecessary suffering. Most police authorities will allow a handgun under section 3 exemption to clear traps or snares of difficult to handle animals like fox or mink caught in humane box traps.
I've used a .22 lr rifle to clear traps in the past and I have to say it was less than ideal, very unwieldy and inaccurate at close range. The best air pistol that I've used was a Crosman 2240 with a nice narrow barrel that could fit through the bars of the cage.

Last edited:
I used to trap squirrels as part of a research programme up here in Scotland and we were instructed to use an air pistol for trapped squirrels and mink.
The revolver is a .22 Taurus and has a barrel length of 300 mm and to be legal the whole gun must be at least 600 mm overall.
It’s going to be used for target and one of my clubs hopes to do 3 gun comps at a future date, all you would need to have one is be a member of a club that you can shoot it.

Attachments

• BEC593A3-DF02-4CC2-B669-398BBD1E606A.jpeg
    BEC593A3-DF02-4CC2-B669-398BBD1E606A.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 153
Interestingly you can buy one of these,no long barrel and no brace this belongs to a friend of mine!

Attachments

• 570348C9-0145-4097-B545-01488F5DD19B.jpeg
    570348C9-0145-4097-B545-01488F5DD19B.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 143
For got to say that you load powder into the detatched cylinder press the lead bullet heads in and use shotgun primers on the back of the cylinder and away you go.Made in the uk by Westlake eng.

There is an Italian copy of the black powder Colt navy revolver that is also percussion with drop out cylinders that are interchangeable.

Last edited:
Going back a bit, I used to carry a .22 Webley Tempest on the tractor , when corn carting. At night tipping in the barn, the beams were alive with them. 10' - 20' away, so would sit there knocking them off....... still have it and use as a priest.

Going back a bit, I used to carry a .22 Webley Tempest on the tractor , when corn carting. At night tipping in the barn, the beams were alive with them. 10' - 20' away, so would sit there knocking them off....... still have it and use as a priest.

I've got a Tempest, great fun although I've not fired it for a few years now.

Reactions: lol
Supposed to be going to an improv. range this afternoon,,,might take it up there for a bit of fun!

Ranges are all shut now due to covid but pest control is still a legitimate reason to get out and about with a gun.

I must say pest control is what’s keeping me sane at the moment. We’ve got crows hammering the drilling at the back of the village every afternoon without fail so perfect excuse to drag out the hmr :)

Reactions: Bam
Must admit, won't shoot crows. Can't eat them, so I don't shoot them. They also take a lot of leatherjackets out the spud fields. It won't be many years before ploughing is a rarity, then the crows will be stuffed!! lol!

Must admit, won't shoot crows. Can't eat them, so I don't shoot them. They also take a lot of leatherjackets out the spud fields. It won't be many years before ploughing is a rarity, then the crows will be stuffed!! lol!
I have nothing but contempt for anyone who intentionally goes out of their way to murder innocent birds and animals which reminds me I've got to dispatch a few more pigeons tomorrow

Back