• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Life's little lessons...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
My Mrs always said that she worried more when I was in the kitchen.....unsupervised ! ...than if the kids were playing with a hammer and nails.

Instant Porridge..Right it says on the packet, Micro wave bowl..milk to level of marked line on packet..2.5 minutes. Easy...

It didn't say anything about a lid on the pot, so I put a lid on it but left the air vent open..press timer button.
Two minutes...Ker-Boom...........
DSCF6246.jpg

Nothing in the pot...all splattered around the inside of the Microwave...Took me 20 minutes to clean the Microwave out....Ok, Sod it...I'll have Cornflakes then..much safer.....:lol:....:lol:.

Attachments

• DSCF6246.jpg
    DSCF6246.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 11
My Mrs always said that she worried more when I was in the kitchen.....unsupervised ! ...than if the kids were playing with a hammer and nails.

Instant Porridge..Right it says on the packet, Micro wave bowl..milk to level of marked line on packet..2.5 minutes. Easy...

It didn't say anything about a lid on the pot, so I put a lid on it but left the air vent open..press timer button.
DSCF6246.jpg

Nothing in the pot...all splattered around the inside of the Microwave...Took me 20 minutes to clean the Microwave out....Ok, Sod it...I'll have Cornflakes then..much safer.....:lol:....:lol:.

Sounds just like the kind of thing I would do ! :D

Each morning I make normal, ordinary and profoundly boring porridge with water and a touch of salt. It takes around 5-7 minutes. While it cooks on the hob I have just enough time to get a spoon of honey and microwave some frozen fruit to go in the other half's bowl then brew a tea for her as well as a decent cup of coffee for myself. All while watching the birds on the feeder outside the window.
Not a second wasted.
Edit; If you wash the pan before it cools you save yet more time because the starch in the porridge hasn't had time to set.

Last edited:
Each morning I make normal, ordinary and profoundly boring porridge with water and a touch of salt. It takes around 5-7 minutes. While it cooks on the hob I have just enough time to get a spoon of honey and microwave some frozen fruit to go in the other half's bowl then brew a tea for her as well as a decent cup of coffee for myself. All while watching the birds on the feeder outside the window.
Not a second wasted.
Edit; If you wash the pan before it cools you save yet more time because the starch in the porridge hasn't had time to set.

I'm a reluctant porridge eater these days, I scunnered myself with it years ago, as I was having that same boring porridge as you every morning. I don't mind the wee sachets that Sax managed to explode, I always have some in my bag when I'm away, even if I'm planning something more substantial. Cheap and easy but...... I prefer a roll for my brekky these days.

" I always have some in my bag when I'm away, "

Same here Bam, I dump them with some milk and water in my mess tin over the fire and never have a problem. It's just when I add technology in the shape of a Microwave that things go wobbly.....:lol:

Rain never reappeared, sunny and warm now, puddles all gone.. :thumbsup:

Not a second wasted.

The kids think am made for making porridge with water and salt 🤷🏼‍♂️ Best way imo 👍🏻

DSCF6246.jpg

Life’s little lessons right enough 😂

I was brought up in a Children's Home and porridge was the staple breakfast. The Oats came in Linen bags, about 3Lbs in each, and was tipped into a big aluminium pot with water...the night before! It would sit at the back of the big Aga Cooker slowly bubbling like some evil grey swamp all night. The next morning the Staff would chuck in a small amount of sugar and give it a brief stir. If you were lucky you got a ladle full which had at least some sugar in, if not...unlucky. If you were really unlucky or late, you got the bottom of the pot, definitely no sugar and sometimes burnt tasting where they scraped the pot out onto your bowl.

It was years before I ever ate Porridge again..the modern instant stuff is nice, the real stuff had husks in it and had to be eaten quickly because when cold it would set like concrete. :D

I was brought up in a Children's Home and porridge was the staple breakfast. The Oats came in Linen bags, about 3Lbs in each, and was tipped into a big aluminium pot with water...the night before! It would sit at the back of the big Aga Cooker slowly bubbling like some evil grey swamp all night. The next morning the Staff would chuck in a small amount of sugar and give it a brief stir. If you were lucky you got a ladle full which had at least some sugar in, if not...unlucky. If you were really unlucky or late, you got the bottom of the pot, definitely no sugar and sometimes burnt tasting where they scraped the pot out onto your bowl.

It was years before I ever ate Porridge again..the modern instant stuff is nice, the real stuff had husks in it and had to be eaten quickly because when cold it would set like concrete. :D
Reminds me of a bed and breakfast i was put up in while working in Windermere. The guy running the place wasn't the worlds best cook and after a while of his full english with the eggs anywhere between yellow rubber and grey mush we asked if he could do porridge . First day it wasn't too bad but by the end of the week it was another grey mush. We discovered that he just left it in the pot all week reheating each morning and just adding a bit more water if it got too stiff.
I have a box of that instant stuff. My sister in law gave it to us as it was "out of date " and she couldn't eat it. Seems to believe anything going past t's best before date instantly becomes inedible poison but we don't so took it off her. I've done it in the microwave without a problem and in just an open bowl. I always tend to think covering it just allows pressure to build up.

Quakers golden syrup instant porridge (made with milk) is for winners.

And you can make it one handed with your other stupid arm in a sling.

How are you coming along mate, you bearing up ?

Can't remember if its Quakers, but there's quite a nice apple and cinnamon one out there too.

" apparently it explodes in the microwave to sax "...............

Yep, I can vouch for that...I left the air vent in the pot lid open too, obviously there was more pressure than hole...:lol:

It's very exciting having your very own IED on a Sunday morning.....:rofl:

How are you coming along mate, you bearing up ?

Can't remember if its Quakers, but there's quite a nice apple and cinnamon one out there too.

About a third of my body is covered in bruises; every so often I get blindingly painful muscle spasms that tweak the break and I’ve gone from doing two lots of PE a day to random inactivity! Apart from that it’s great😃

However as with all things it could be worse, took the Mrs up to collect my bike from the helpful farmers barn and examined the scene of the crash; I may have been going a bit faster than I thought so I could have injured myself a lot more.

About a third of my body is covered in bruises; every so often I get blindingly painful muscle spasms that tweak the break and I’ve gone from doing two lots of PE a day to random inactivity! Apart from that it’s great😃

However as with all things it could be worse, took the Mrs up to collect my bike from the helpful farmers barn and examined the scene of the crash; I may have been going a bit faster than I thought so I could have injured myself a lot more.

Glad you're on the mend, it sounds like a sore one, its frustrating eh ? The bad news is you don't mend as quick as you did when you were 21. :(

You're alive and walking, that counts as a win.

Back