• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Make your own knife challenge 2017

lee

Slightly Obsessed
Make your own Bushcraft knife and sheath challenge 2017.

A lot of us have been watching forged in fire and enjoying it and a few of us have been having a good go at making a knife so let's have a challenge for both the guys that have made a knife before and those who have yet to. The challenge is to make your own knife this year and post your progress as you go, the challenge is to make a working knife that you would use in the bush, you can use any old or broken knife parts in your build or convert one of your current knife blades to your personal design, you can use a raw blank blade, a finished blade blank or you can forge your own blade, there are no rules on the size or type of knife other than it must have a sheath made by yourself.
I enjoyed converting a short katana sword to a bush knife last year but for this challenge I will be making a stag handle Sami knife with matching fire strike and a rabbit or squirrel skin sheath
:D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a year long project for me, I have been wanting to do one for a while so I suppose now there is an incentive.

I've got the stag for the handle, the fire strike blank, leather and skins for the sheath, I need to order a pre made matching finger guard and pommel set and a blade blank then I'm ready to make a start.

Been some good knives made on here by members :thumbsup:

Look forward to seeing the end products of the challenge..:thumbsup:

So guys do you have ideas yet for your build?

I suggest we can help each other out on this challenge as well, I can help anyone out that needs antler, I can also put a good cutting edge on any finished knife builds if you've not got the kit to sort it.

So guys do you have ideas yet for your build?

I suggest we can help each other out on this challenge as well, I can help anyone out that needs antler, I can also put a good cutting edge on any finished knife builds if you've not got the kit to sort it.

Not decided yet lee but it will be my main knife when out and about so...some research needed a think maby half camp knife half Bowie.

@ mark. I'm also making a everyday knife that I will enjoy using, I'm going to order a Damascus finished blank (Sami Scandi grind knife) as I don't have the belt sander, grinder etc to finish a raw blade.

image.gif

@ joe have you seen them out at boot sales before?

Back