• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Marino wool base layers

Should you own Swandri middle layer clothing too, shirts and jackets, please open an own thread about it and tell us something about them, with pictures and so on, a really review.

I find that stuff very interesting.

Big fan of merino; got a number of base layers from Aldi, a random sailing shop and a Lowe alpine set (bought cheep in an American PX).

All at least 5-10 years old and still going strong. I’d disagree about cotton as find it unpleasant when sweaty next to the skin.

For summer ware the British army wicking t shirts are good; available in green black and brown.

I wrote, I would find the Decathlon merino 190 Trekking long johns uncomfortable somehow.

I have to correct myself:

This kit is perfectly comfortable!

And you can wash it in a modern washing machine together with the other out door clothing at 30*C in the normal program without any problems or special powder.
That's very nice for longer travels.

(Of course it is recommended to close all zippers before washing.

Why did I change my opinion about it?

Before I used breefs under it.
It's far more comfortable to wear the merino long johns directly on the skin.

I made the fault to pull the long johns to far down, or the socks to high.

It is better to pull the long johns as high as possible if you put them on, than to pull them high over the knees, that the tension leave the fabric.
In the end socks and long johns overlap only 2,5 cm and that is PERFECT.

I find this Decathlon 190 kit with zipper at the color (from 2019) far better than the Aldi kit from 2017.

Far better in every point!

I discovered that they sell a very similar green merino shirt with grey applications as well between the hunting equipment.

But I didn't buy it.

Currently I have enough of that stuff.

Big fan of merino; got a number of base layers from Aldi, a random sailing shop and a Lowe alpine set (bought cheep in an American PX).

All at least 5-10 years old and still going strong. I’d disagree about cotton as find it unpleasant when sweaty next to the skin.

For summer ware the British army wicking t shirts are good; available in green black and brown.

I've only got the one left, they are really good. Even in winter I'll tend to have a long sleeve nylon as a base with this or something similar over the top. As a fat sweaty git that's usually enough when on the hoof but as soon as I stop I'll put a fleece over it. You also have the option of taking off the short sleeve top if you're sweating like a marine in a spelling test.

You find out what works for YOU though.

While I was in Cuzco, I used my friend's merino wool base layer from Icebreaker. The fabric was very thin and light which i really enjoyed. But the fabric wasn't soft or warm which made the thin benefit useless because i had to use more layers. What I'm wondering is why does everyone use merino when there's other better wools? Maybe I'm missing something?

While I was in Cuzco, I used my friend's merino wool base layer from Icebreaker. The fabric was very thin and light which i really enjoyed. But the fabric wasn't soft or warm which made the thin benefit useless because i had to use more layers. What I'm wondering is why does everyone use merino when there's other better wools? Maybe I'm missing something?

Not sure about anyone else but the reason I use merino is because normal wool makes me itchy

I can't speak for the Icebreaker as I haven't tried them, my Aldi ones kept and are still keeping me warm.

I got some from Aldi in the autumn 2017 if I am right. In my experience to thin. (In one layer.)
And I managed to make holes in it by pulling it down. Even after I understood the problem. One moment dreaming and I got the next one. A bit itchy.

Now I use the currently sold 190 g Decathlon Trekking base layers with zipp collar the whole winter and while moving in conditions around 0 to -5*C they are comfortable. Non itchy!
I wear a thick military cotton shirt over it, sometimes a cotton T-shirt under it, and a thin woolen pullover with V-collar over it and a 450g quilted plastic filled plastic Jacket on top. Over it a light water proof jacket.
At the legs Decathlon 190g merino base layer and normal polyester cotton mix trousers over it, Decathlon Steppe 300.

I think the more expensive Icebreaker base layers are meant to use like that. I have the impression that you can wear them under normal clothing in heated rooms and on the way to the office with additional layers.
I have no problem to sit around in a heated room with it.
In one youth hostel this winter there was a problem with the heating in my room, what I discovered late in the night. My clothing where OK to sit around at perhaps 5 *C. But this was the comfort border I guess with that layer system. And don't forget: I am working every day outside! I am used to cold weather!

If I would like to walk between -5C and -10C I would think about to invest in Ulfrotte Woolpower 200g base layers.
Hunters who usually sit around use Ulfrotte Woolpower 400g base layers. That would be perhaps a nice thing for your next year winter camping meeting. But I guess if you can't open it, it would become to warm for normal use and times if you are hiking.

I have a contact to a young man in Hamburg, I guess nearly southern british weather, but always windy, who uses the 200g base layers and the 600g Cardigan and is very convinced about it.

Woolpower 200, 400 and 600 has instead of the competition a sling inner side that traps more air in.
But it is ment to wear it under something else. In the bush you can pull threads out of it, if you don't pay attention.

Unfortunately I couldn't reach my Aldi base layers when it was cold. It would have been interesting to pull it under the Decathlon base layers instead of the cotton T-shirt to see, what's going on, if the merino weight over all is warmer.
Currently I have the impression, that winter in Germany is over, 15*C in Colone???

Let's discuss swimming breefs, please!

Just a personal thing.... I would not wear a cotton T-shirt under or over a Marino wool base layer.....nor synthetic.
Cotton holds on to moisture during hard activity producing sweat...salt....and odour...... Which defeats the wicking properties of the wool.
Carful layering...... temperature control..... and awareness of your layering system will add to overall comfort and well being.

Each to their own though..... If it works for you.

Last edited:
That point really seems to depend on the person. I have no problem with it.

But what you wrote I hear every where.

But I pay attention that I do not overheat.
I avoid to become really sweaty.

does this merino wool is usually the go-to wool for hiking? I was under the impression merino was itchy because it naturally contains lanolin

Usually I am able to run around in sub zero temperatures in clothing other people use in spring and autumn.
When I was young, we wear leather shorts until -5*C.
German boy scouts are a relatively hard community.
The body reacts in this, I became unsensible.
(Said my ex girl friend, when she left me. ;0)

In the last years I simply pulled several summer layers over each other, from -10C on I used the rain trousers over the polycotton trousers. Currently temperatures lower than -5C we do not have often and only for short times in the most parts of Germany.

I started to experiment with merino layers mainly to support my light sleeping bag to make it usable in sub zero conditions.

My Aldi base layers are itchy. I feel it if I sweat or try to sleep, but usually not in the day. My Decathlon layers aren't itchy. Absolutely not!
They had been more expensive, and usually Decathlon offers very good quality for very very low prices.

Because I do not really need merino layers, I didn't invest in Icebraker or Ullfrotte /Woolpower layers so I don't know if they are itchy or not.

Surely not itchy is the cashmere goat hair.
When I last winter had to buy during a travel some warm clothing, I stopped in front of the cashmere shawls and remembered my old white shawl, I had loved so much.

Cashmere is expensive and very fine in Germany. Something I think about, but because I don't know if it's strong enough for outdoor use, I didn't buy it.
I could buy a cashmere base layer suit, shawl and pullover. Or simply keep what I use and buy a semi professional Stil motor chain saw...
500€ in one rush is even in richy Germany something we think about for a minute!

A pair of the best handmade in Germany or Austria boots in individual measures costs round about that amount!

Or the Hilleberg Akto tent, the best one man tent of the world market.

Interesting options, if you have got 500€ to much!

Last edited:
Back