• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

moley moley moooole!

RunSilentRunDeep

Extremely Talkative
hi everyone,
at one of my permissions theyre having a serious mole problem and have asked me to see if i can try and get rid of them. using the 12 gauge or digging the place up isnt really an option due to it being a golf course so another method is needed, so i was wondering whether any of you had any experience in this matter and could offer me some sound advice!
many thanks

Dan

hi everyone,
at one of my permissions theyre having a serious mole problem and have asked me to see if i can try and get rid of them. using the 12 gauge or digging the place up isnt really an option due to it being a golf course so another method is needed, so i was wondering whether any of you had any experience in this matter and could offer me some sound advice!
many thanks

Dan

Take along a small Jerrican of petrol, a plastic cup, a trowel, a bucket and a funnel with a one-foot length of garden hose stuck over the pointy end. Use the trowel to move the molehill soil aside to expose the hole at the centre. Insert funnel (the foot-long hosepipe prevents the petrol from burning the grass or its roots). Pour one cup of petrol carefully into the funnel. Push soil back into the hole until it's rammed. Repeat for each molehill. Use the bucket to take away any left-over soil.

This has worked perfectly for me. The petrol fumes suffocate the little beggars. :)

That's one way to do it. I'm too tight to waste fuel.
Too many tunnels too.
I'm under severe attack and can TELL you, there defo is a knack to setting a mole trap, if only I knew what it was.
It must not smell of oil or hands, it has to be perfectly set, cat food does attract, I know that's not the idea but it makes them Purr and be clumsy feeding because they like it. Now if you do catch a mole, which I did last week. Dig the mole hole a bit deeper and leave the dead Mole down the Mole hole. They ain't never coming back to that Mole Hole, would you?

That's one way to do it. I'm too tight to waste fuel.
Too many tunnels too.
I'm under severe attack and can TELL you, there defo is a knack to setting a mole trap, if only I knew what it was.
It must not smell of oil or hands, it has to be perfectly set, cat food does attract, I know that's not the idea but it makes them Purr and be clumsy feeding because they like it. Now if you do catch a mole, which I did last week. Dig the mole hole a bit deeper and leave the dead Mole down the Mole hole. They ain't never coming back to that Mole Hole, would you?

He can't dig up the golf course to insert traps in the runs, Wilhelmina... :rolleyes:

Take along a small Jerrican of petrol, a plastic cup, a trowel, a bucket and a funnel with a one-foot length of garden hose stuck over the pointy end. Use the trowel to move the molehill soil aside to expose the hole at the centre. Insert funnel (the foot-long hosepipe prevents the petrol from burning the grass or its roots). Pour one cup of petrol carefully into the funnel. Push soil back into the hole until it's rammed. Repeat for each molehill. Use the bucket to take away any left-over soil.

This has worked perfectly for me. The petrol fumes suffocate the little beggars. :)

That's a wonderful idea! I can imagine some posh toff on the first tee throwing his fag-end away before taking the shot....... :eek:

I insert traps in my Mole runs without digging a hole.
You have to remove the debris anyway, which in itself is a mound.. It depends upon how deep the hole is.. You do have to put a bucket over the top to keep the daylight out. So a good target.
I use the mole holes in my garden as targets to drop the ball into when I play golf here. In fact Horse is here now, I think we'll have a go. Time for T.

There is a bloke on here who is a mole catcher, so I'd ask him, he goes by the handle moletraper/ or catcher. Can you get those traps over here that you can get in France that work with an empty shotgun cartridge?

If it were only one Hole.

Runs like escapee's from Colditz surround the entire hedge row.
Did find one thing quite interesting, I know I have some Roman footings beneath the surface of my garden I dug them up a while back. Anyway in this one spot I found some time ago,when I dug down the Mole Hole I found an entire open space that fell into nothingness.Well, I never!!
I think I've mentioned this afore, a few years aback when clearing off the surface Mole Hole Soul amongst the sods was a "Gold and Ruby Ring" the heavy blokey type, probably warn over a glove. It's mine and a secret Ring. The One Ring!!

I'm sure I've heard summat about noise disturbance deters wee moley?

Feck nose, me? I use my lawnmower tae chop their heids offski when I'm cutting the grass. :mad:

Seriously though, I don't suffer much from moley due to the very stoney ground up here, but if I do have the odd one I just stick a wee sign beside the hole telling them to feck orf or I'll make a pair o' trousers oot o' them...got to be huge letters though cos the wee bazzas are nearly blind! :D

Seems to work too. :cool:

Attachments

• 1433230183376.jpg
    1433230183376.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 36
Back