• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My first rucksack load out?

lol

Extremely Addicted
After SOOOO long, I am getting to wild camp, but am carrying, so need to go light, as have to carry canoe too, all in one.
So one bag, all went into my LK35, sleeping bag on top.

It includes:
All food
Cooker (Army trangia), knives, saw, cutlery?, folding shovel, fuel
Change of clothes and wash gear/brush cotton towel
Tarp tent and ground sheet (luxury)

Sleeping mat is also chair, kneeling mat for canoe (mechanics closed cell foam jobby)
Tent poles are the paddles

Anything I've forgotton?

All up weight 14 kg, which is nothing for a short walk with a canoe on your head!!

You may have just missed it off the list, but if you're taking knives and a saw, small first aid kit and a head torch?
Can you leave the folding shovel and just cut a digging stick when you need it? Might save a few ounces.

Reactions: lol
As a paramedic...for one night I was going to skip the 1st aid kit......but I have put in one or two small bits now....
I wasn't including water, sorry. Am taking 6 litres...........Yup I have the head torch!
Re the shovel is a thought.....but really for portages, 15 odd kilos (inc pack) is as nothing. I've chosen to use instead the ALICE as there are pockets I can access from the canoe, without digging around in the main pack.

Managed to get the tarp tent to work in the garden, and was very impressed, much as I hate sleeping under plastic. So impressed in fact, I've ordered a proper 9sq metre tarp from DD, for future occasions......

As a paramedic...for one night I was going to skip the 1st aid kit......but I have put in one or two small bits now....
I wasn't including water, sorry. Am taking 6 litres...........Yup I have the head torch!
Re the shovel is a thought.....but really for portages, 15 odd kilos (inc pack) is as nothing. I've chosen to use instead the ALICE as there are pockets I can access from the canoe, without digging around in the main pack.

Managed to get the tarp tent to work in the garden, and was very impressed, much as I hate sleeping under plastic. So impressed in fact, I've ordered a proper 9sq metre tarp from DD, for future occasions......

Ha, weird, as an ex matelot I always take an anchor with me when on the hills..... :rolleyes:

Nah, while I always have a few bits and bobs of first aid in my wallet, I always take a fairly robust FAK with me when out, very rarely have I had to use it and thankfully never the field dressing or toothy peg but they're there anyway.

Reactions: lol
As someone who uses chainsaws, winches, pto driven tools etc on a daily basis I have to carry the whole kit from dressings to eye bath. Strangely I would be carrying far less first aid supplies in a bush crafting situation by comparison to every day.

Ha, weird, as an ex matelot I always take an anchor with me when on the hills..... :rolleyes:

Nah, while I always have a few bits and bobs of first aid in my wallet, I always take a fairly robust FAK with me when out, very rarely have I had to use it and thankfully never the field dressing or toothy peg but they're there anyway.
What I was getting at, is there are many ways of skinning a cat, for minor injuries etc....one has most of what's needed in any case for one night.........short of suture needles and resus. drugs and equipment :eek: :thumbsup:

Must go check the ground tackle on the boat....you've got me thinking now....:(

Back