• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Natural hair products

cuckoo996

Staff member
As I'm such a dapper looking fella 🙄🤢🤣
( I'm about as good looking as Shrek's hairy arse)
I like to try and be presentable when in public.
( couldnt care at home )
I've always used good old fashioned Brylcreem, like my Dad and Grandad, but lately I've been having a really nasty skin reaction to the stuff. So I've been researching into natural versions, and of the little I could find it was expensive.

So after a lot of research, I made my own.

20231221_133933.jpg 20231221_135016.jpg

3 Tablespoons of Coconut oil
2 Tablespoons or ½ a block of Beeswax
2 Tablespoons of Arrowroot
10-20 drops of essential oil ( I chose Cedar)

Melt wax and coconut oil in a double boiler,
(Tin can in a pot of simmering water)
Once melted take off heat, add arrowroot, mix in thoroughly, add essential oil.

Pour into a small glass jar, make sure the jar is warm first, as the heat shock may shatter the jar.

Just rub a finger tip full into your hands and rub through your hair, style as usual.
(Different length hair will need differing amounts)

Works well, smells nice And costs about £1.50p to make enough for approx 6 months.

See what else I can make at home now🤔

that’s impressive jono👍🏻

if I didn’t have a big hole in my wig I would makes some 👍🏻

Hair grow formula next please jono 😂

I use a natural olive oil plant based product that does it all, shaving soap/shampoo/soap that has a very low environmental impact,

that’s impressive jono👍🏻

if I didn’t have a big hole in my wig I would makes some 👍🏻

Hair grow formula next please jono 😂
I use this......

20231221_200706.jpg 20231221_200710.jpg

My father, all 5 of his brothers, and both of my brothers were bald by their mid 20s.
I'm not, and I did start about 5 years back.
But this stopped it and I got what I lost on the crown to grow back.

I use a natural olive oil plant based product that does it all, shaving soap/shampoo/soap that has a very low environmental impact,
I'm looking at getting hold of some lye and olive oil to make my own. Going down the cold cure route. Takes 4 to 6 weeks after making before you can use it, but I think it will be better for my health and the environment.
Thinking trying 1 bar of birch tar oil 🤔

I'm looking at getting hold of some lye and olive oil to make my own. Going down the cold cure route. Takes 4 to 6 weeks after making before you can use it, but I think it will be better for my health and the environment.
I buy one called Dalān, it works well but smells….🤔…unusual

Last edited:
I'm not vain, just enjoy winding my brothers up :sneaky: :rofl:

Years ago I worked with a guy we called "lousy Ted" . Lousy because he never swore and that was the word he used instead and Ted because , well , that was his name. Nice chap but as is common with older guys a bit thin up top. I remember him trying various "remedies" one of which involved burnt boots and another dried cow muck all rubbed into the scalp. Surprise surprise they didn't work.
Also many moons ago I tried ditching any shampoo or other products and just used water and a comb. I'm not one of those people who wash their hair every day so it never felt bad for the first week , perhaps a little riffy the following but in a pretty short time it felt great with that sort of freshly washed silky feel to it. There was no smell or irritation whatsoever . However , a few months into the "experiment" I had a ceiling come down on me and was picking lumps of old lime plaster out of my hair and thought "perhaps I'd better actually use something " and thus proceded to wash it with shampoo. It itched like buggery for a little while straight afterwards.

Back