• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Natural hair products

Years ago I worked with a guy we called "lousy Ted" . Lousy because he never swore and that was the word he used instead and Ted because , well , that was his name. Nice chap but as is common with older guys a bit thin up top. I remember him trying various "remedies" one of which involved burnt boots and another dried cow muck all rubbed into the scalp. Surprise surprise they didn't work.
Also many moons ago I tried ditching any shampoo or other products and just used water and a comb. I'm not one of those people who wash their hair every day so it never felt bad for the first week , perhaps a little riffy the following but in a pretty short time it felt great with that sort of freshly washed silky feel to it. There was no smell or irritation whatsoever . However , a few months into the "experiment" I had a ceiling come down on me and was picking lumps of old lime plaster out of my hair and thought "perhaps I'd better actually use something " and thus proceded to wash it with shampoo. It itched like buggery for a little while straight afterwards.
I know a few people who’ve re balanced their oils and ph for natural hair condition like that, it really does work….right up until you’re covered in something that ordinary water won’t shift.

Going slightly off topic but one thing that always irritated me was the instruction on shampoo bottles "wash hair , rinse and repeat" . I always felt that was simply nothing more than a ploy to get people to use twice as much product as they really need to...
My sister in lard is one of those people who "has" to wash her hair every day. If she worked in a dusty factory I could understand it but she has worked in a bank and now has been at home for some time. I've completely failed to convince her on a more simpler approach.
Now going back to my late teens /early 20's I lived with my parents and we didn't have a shower just a bath. I worked in the building so my hair picked up some dirt and I'd wash it in the bath. I don't know if it sounds odd but what I would do is wash the hair and pull some of it forward into a sort of point or horn. Then , while sitting in the bath , I'd lean forward and let drops of dirty water drip from the horn and I'd get a sort of simple pleasure watching the drops disperse in the bath water. ...

Going slightly off topic but one thing that always irritated me was the instruction on shampoo bottles "wash hair , rinse and repeat" . I always felt that was simply nothing more than a ploy to get people to use twice as much product as they really need to...
My sister in lard is one of those people who "has" to wash her hair every day. If she worked in a dusty factory I could understand it but she has worked in a bank and now has been at home for some time. I've completely failed to convince her on a more simpler approach.
Now going back to my late teens /early 20's I lived with my parents and we didn't have a shower just a bath. I worked in the building so my hair picked up some dirt and I'd wash it in the bath. I don't know if it sounds odd but what I would do is wash the hair and pull some of it forward into a sort of point or horn. Then , while sitting in the bath , I'd lean forward and let drops of dirty water drip from the horn and I'd get a sort of simple pleasure watching the drops disperse in the bath water. ...
I agree but more from an environmental point of view rather than just excess. We regularly see lumps of foam or soap scum floating in rivers and can only wonder at the volume of detergent that is being flushed down drains. People use way more than is needed when washing their hair, it is only necessary to reduce the surface tension of water. So much unnecessary “product” finds its way into our waste water and from there into our rivers.

Most will probably think me disgusting
But I only shower twice a week.
I rarely sweat, (glandular issue)
I never smell of BO, I don't use deodorant or sprays.
I use good old fashioned castille soap to shower, and I use essential oils diluted in grapeseed or almond oil for "aftershave"
I wash my hair once a month with same soap as the rest of me.

Back