• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New block for roughing out spoonage and other treen.

cuckoo996

Staff member
Nothing special to most, it's a log.

But to me it makes life a lot easier, I've been putting off carving for the best part of a year now as I have been struggling with roughing out on a piece of 12"ร—12"x 3/4" ply on the floor. Anyone who carves will know this isn't easy and takes the pleasure out of the process.

So up at my mates farm today, and he had some trees that needed the limbs pruning
(@Ystranc You'll be glad to know I wasn't on the saw, but the digger with grab arm ๐Ÿ˜†)

And in return for my assistance I could take whatever wood I wanted. So amongst several pieces I also took this:

20240226_203649.jpg 20240226_203654.jpg 20240226_203727.jpg 20240226_203734.jpg 20240226_203749.jpg 20240226_203755.jpg

Back to carving in the next week!
Now who can tell me what the wood is?

The wood is approximately 50% carbon, 42% oxygen, 6% hydrogen, 1% nitrogen, and 1% other elements (mainly calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, iron, and manganese) :rofl:
Always one ain't there ๐Ÿ™„
Fairplay Paul that was a cracker, had me giggling anyway ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† I needed that laugh this evening ๐Ÿ‘

But to me it makes life a lot easier, I've been putting off carving for the best part of a year now as I have been struggling with roughing out on a piece of 12"ร—12"x 3/4" ply on the floor. Anyone who carves will know this isn't easy and takes the pleasure out of the process.

So up at my mates farm today, and he had some trees that needed the limbs pruning
(@Ystranc You'll be glad to know I wasn't on the saw, but the digger with grab arm ๐Ÿ˜†)

And in return for my assistance I could take whatever wood I wanted. So amongst several pieces I also took this:

View attachment 159942View attachment 159943View attachment 159944View attachment 159945View attachment 159946View attachment 159947

I have no issue with you using a chainsaw Jono, as long as youโ€™re safe and wearing PPE. It was the situation at the B2B camp that freaked me out a little. It was not meant as a criticism.

I have no issue with you using a chainsaw Jono, as long as youโ€™re safe and wearing PPE. It was the situation at the B2B camp that freaked me out a little. It was not meant as a criticism.
It wasn't taken as criticism, I was sharing a joke between us ๐Ÿ˜‰, no need to worry mate, all is well with me on that one.

View attachment 159942View attachment 159943View attachment 159944View attachment 159945View attachment 159946View attachment 159947

That looks like a piece of oak cut from a tree that had been leaning for several years. Knowing roughly from where you live I would suggest that the original tree had been exposed to winds from the West South West hence the un even ring growth

That looks like a piece of oak cut from a tree that had been leaning for several years. Knowing roughly from where you live I would suggest that the original tree had been exposed to winds from the West South West hence the un even ring growth
Lower branch of a large tree that had overgrown in a line of farm hedge. Branch was cracked and endangering the goose house below.

I've edit this screenshot of the fields to show North, the tree and its position.
You will have to work out from there if you are right @Joecole. I have no clue.
The blue circle is around the tree, the bold arrow is the location of the branch and the angle at which it was growing out of the tree.

Screenshot_20240229_191147_Maps.jpg

Lower branch of a large tree that had overgrown in a line of farm hedge. Branch was cracked and endangering the goose house below.

I've edit this screenshot of the fields to show North, the tree and its position.
You will have to work out from there if you are right @Joecole. I have no clue.
The blue circle is around the tree, the bold arrow is the location of the branch and the angle at which it was growing out of the tree.

View attachment 159975
Morning Jonnno the hedge is running Northwest so the tree in question would have been exposes to the prevailing weather which is usually from Southwest or West so my observation wasn't that far out:)

Since the location of the tree is known why not go there for a good look around. It shouldn't be too hard to match the bark to siblings. As they say... the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.
Just my two cents ;)

Since the location of the tree is known why not go there for a good look around. It shouldn't be too hard to match the bark to siblings. As they say... the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.
Just my two cents ;)
This thread got dragged off course by @Joecole . ๐Ÿ˜„ Jono set us a challenge, ID the species of the piece of wood he had collected - he knew the answer - Oak. Joe saw that the growth rings were asymmetrical and hypothesised that the tree was leaning, or exposed to high winds. In fact it was a limb from the tree, so he was half-right. You'll get used to our fuzzy-logic after a bit Bob! ๐Ÿ˜†

Back