• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New boots.

divebuddy

Staff member
Having used Scarpa boots for many years for general walking and Jack Pyke Hunter boots for the last ten for camping I decided to try something slightly different. I have purchased a pair of Miltec German Army Mountain boots. Interesting that the same boots are £64.95 from one supplier and £84.95 from another. They appear to be reasonable quality although not up to the standard of Haix or Lowa. Time will tell!
IMG_20201219_165559.jpg
IMG_20201219_165606.jpg

I've lost the thread of this thread, was it about boots, or cake? :whistle: On the subject of boots: I've bought quite a lot of things from Miltec, all nice shiny stuff that seemed to be a bargain. It all fell apart or failed prematurely. The same with Jack Pike stuff! I bought some Jack Pike boots and they were the most comfortable boots ever, they looked the dog's danglies and were a bargain. They fell apart after a year! Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I bought another pair - same thing happened. The lesson I've learned, after many burnt fingers, is that buying quality is the way to go. Yeah, you have to pay more, but you get better value for money in the end. I hope I'm wrong in this case but I have a baaad feeling!

@Ichneumon

The thread is definitely about "Boots" Paul :xmas-smilie:

I suppose choice boils down to budget and just how much use the boots will get.....and where.
By that I mean......if your outdoor time involves yomping over rough boggy ground..... or along rough tracks for miles and miles....then it would pay to invest well and heavily in the more expensive brands....kind of makes good sense......especially if carrying a load where good support and durability become more important.
But.....if you are not into...... nor able to..... walk greater distances and tend to camp out of the back of the car mostly.....or potter about in the garden........there may not be a justifiable need to splash out on more expensive options.

I think if you can find a personal balance between use..... and budget.........you have the......"icing on the caaaaake" 🤭

I always have great success with some of the cheap brands of kit, Euro Hike, Highlander and especially Miltec.
2 years old and worn almost every day including walks in the woods ( in dry weather) Miltec Boots £45 and probably the most comfortable boots, straight out of the box I've ever owned.
DSC00251.JPG

DSC00252.JPG

Back in the day the go-to place for outdoor gear, boots and sleeping bags for example, was the Ex-Army store - quality gear at an affordable price. Most large towns had one, mine was in Newton Abbot. Sadly they all dried up and now we are left with just a few, such as Military Mart. This seems to have ushered in the era of the cheap knock-off brands from the Far East, similar prices but the quality wasn't there. I bought a lot of this stuff because it was all I could afford, and sometimes, as Sax has said, I got lucky. I used to watch the lucky bar-stewards, who could afford the quality gear, and think 'What a poser'! Then the sole of my boot would start laughing at me as it flapped when I walked. Later in life, when I could afford the pukka gear, I realised what I had been missing - waterproofs that were waterproof, boots that stayed in one (or is the two?) piece(s), warm coats that were actually warm, tents that would stay put in anything more than a strong breeze. Bill's right, it depends what you want it for, but I still wear my Lowa boots and very warm coat just to nip to my local shop for my beer rations. :)

I'm with you on quality kit, Mil-Tec for easy going suits me, but Winter and anything serious like hard ground and hills and it's back to my Danners. Issued long ago and re-treaded many times but still going strong
P1040802.JPG

Personally i have 4 types of boot :/
Goretex boots like the danners mentioned i reckon i was issued them 24 years ago for Bosnia still going strong.
American jungle boots are durable, comfortable in summer had them also for 24 years for a wee military trip to Canada and still going strong.
I use Saloman boots for trekking only had them for 6 years and they are wrecked really. Gonna but a new pair of something soon.
And for work i wear RAF Pilot boots because they are like foot gloves :)

Back