• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New summer bag and winter modular bonus

ScottE

Extremely Talkative
I've been scouting for a summer sleeping bag for a little while, I wanted a stand alone decent summer bag but also one that'd fit inside my carinthia defence 4 to give me a super cold option......the carinthia tropen is designed to fit the defence 4 and while investigating the tropen I realised that the latest Brit issue lightweight sleeping bag is part of a modular system and had some similarities to the tropen....in fact identical! Mossie net, 200 sized, zip across bottom to blanket out. A tropen at a fraction of the price.....
The tie outs don't all match up but the Brit issue light bag is a fecsa (fecsa is a military gear contractor that shares many designs with carinthia) version of the tropen and fits in my defence 4 perfect.
Sorted. A full on 5 season system.
Looking forward to summer wild camps with the tropen lookalike/Brit issue lightweight bag, but I'm really looking forward to some super cold camps.....some snowy freezing conditions that I may end up traveling for. (Is it weird to desire hard conditions?)
Pictures:

IMG_3425.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3429.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG

There's some good ex military gear around Scott, only problem you have is that you don't know how many times bag has been laundered

There's some good ex military gear around Scott, only problem you have is that you don't know how many times bag has been laundered
The lightweight is brand new unissued Joe

Use the same bags myself Scottie.......they work very well together and individually.
Every time I climb in to the D4 I say to myself....."Must do something about the blasted toggles around the snorkle"........still not done that job yet :rolleyes: :D:whistle:

Good to know, I'm looking at a new ECW sleep system for 2018/19 but I'm looking at Wiggy's nesting system at the moment.

@Bopdude

Hey Bop.

Just had a look at the wiggys......like the look of the Walk around suit:thumbsup:......no restriction and snug too:thumbsup:

There are a couple of good video's on Youtube, they get great reviews, one of the lads on the Swedish trip had the modular system and he bivvied for about 4 nights, always warm :)

We discussed the Carinthia Defence 4 in a long thread in the Forum "Bushcraft Deutschland". This bag nowadays is as Bundeswehr sleeping bag Allgemein 2 a well known System in Germany, as well as the Tropen.

We came to the result, that for use in tents the sleeping bags from Ajungilak are a far better deal.

And we came to the result, that the Snugpack special forces system now a days is the state of the art in systems with bivi bag, summer sleeping bag and winter sleeping bag.

Carinthia does not offer anything on this level.

And on top of this, the snugpack SF system is cheaper.

Thanks for your reply Erbswurst, I don't have endless money to punt on various sleeping bags, so go with issue gear normally, as to be issued I'd assume some competence?
I used the defence 4 Saturday night and woke up to -4C on Sunday morning, the bag performed well...and although I had cold feet from not having sufficient socks fitted my core was toasty.
I buried myself inside and cinched the face hole up to just a couple of inches to breathe through....it did condensate around the 'breather' hole but soon dried.
Thinking if I'd have used the tropen inside the d4 as required I'd have been super snug, feet included......it'll have to wait until my next free night and hope for colder conditions!!
What extremes of temps do you get out in ?

We came to the result, that the lowest comfort temperatur vor the Defence 4 is negativ 6 Degrees. For this it is far too bulky and heavy.
The plastik strings in the filling are breaking faster than in Ajungilak and better Snugpack sleeping bags with the swiss filling.
The Carinthia sleeping bag is loosing loft and insolation within a couple of WEEKS !
(A used army sleeping bag is seldom a good deal in cause of this.)

That issued Material is nice to have in boats, cars and hunting cottages. Its simply heavy, bulky and cold, if you carry it in a rucksack.

Even cheap civil products like Decathlon sleeping bags, which are available in three sizes , so that they can fit together well, would be a better cheap solution.

Here you see the summer sleeping bag Snugpack Special Forces 1 in its bivi bag in the Snugpack dry sack M, without use of the compression bag.

Together It works well till plus 5 Degrees Celsius. Using it while wearing normal Polycotyon clothing and light fleece jacket in it, it works till 0*C, what is the ultimativ border of the SF1.

WP_20171115_22_04_26_Pro.jpg WP_20171115_21_47_18_Pro.jpg WP_20171116_13_40_46_Pro.jpg

That's the bivi alone.

The SF1 reaches about negativ 10 *C, in Clothing of the Day negativ 12*C.

The complete system should reach negativ 15*C with Clothing of the Day negativ 20*C.

But unfortunately since I own it, we had no hard frost in Germany, so I could not test it really. In negativ 12*C the complete System is a sauna.

(If you look for the prices: Oliv green is far cheaper than camouflage patterns!)

But of course, if you get the CarinthiaDefence 4 cheap, don't want to carry it for long Distances and have to save money, it works. Even a Couple of woolen blankets should work.

WP_20171216_08_55_57_Pro.jpg

Oh, other Layout now!

It is the bivi alone on the balance!!

It is Sleeping bag SF1 and bivi bag together in the Drysack!!!!

That system together isn't really larger than a Goretex MOD bivi alone!!!;

Oh shit!
I have to correct:
The SF 2 reaches negativ 10*C /12*C
The SF1 reaches plus 5*C /0*C
Together negativ 15*C/20*C (SF 1 plus SF2)

That all counted in the bivi bag.

sorry! My fault!

I like wool blankets too:).....there's more to a good bushcrafty outing than lightweight gear :thumbsup:

If you sleep under a lean to shelter next to a fire they are working well in 3 seasons surely.

Back