• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new toys...

Non of the stuff that either of my Grandads had came down to me apart from a signed Japanese officers sword which my Father made me sell. (Still a matter of contention between us 35 years later.)

I never got anything handed down to me, at least not by my parents, but I've got a knife that my late older Brother gave me just before he died.

He was an NCO Royal Fusiliers in the 1950's. He was serving in Kenya, East Africa during what was known as the Mau Mau Emergency. Seeking independence various locals were butchering white farmers and their workers. Isolated Missionary stations and the like were also targeted.
The drill was for British Army patrols to go out into the countryside and round up the armed Mau Mau gangs. Each patrol had a local tracker attached and the patrol my brother led had a Kikuyu tracker attached. My brother said he was an excellent bloke who hated any Mau Mau anyway (a tribal thing as well)'

Patrolling close to the Somali border on one occasion the patrol came under fire, usual thing, quick ambush hit and run. The tracker was wounded and unable to walk. Standing orders were that he should have been taken to the nearest Missionary run aid station and left there temporarily until Casevac by the Army later ( Helicopters not readily available out there in those days ) Brother thought leaving him would get out on the local "Grape vine" and probably result in the Aid Station, Doctor, Nurses (Nuns) and the Tracker being massacred, so he went against orders. The lads in the patrol made up a litter and they carried the wounded man 40 odd miles to a rail junction where he was put on a train back to Mombasa.

Six weeks or so later, the Tracker and his wives.... turned up at my brother's base, and the friendship between him and his old patrol was renewed.
Brother had received a reprimand to comply with regulations and then a nod 'well done' from his CO.
The Tracker got some compensation and an army job, but posted to a safe area.
He gave my brother this knife.

DSCF5248.jpg

Made from a piece of vehicle spring it is razor sharp. The sheath is beautifully made of quite soft leather. The Tracker wore it tucked in the waist band of his army issue shorts. It was his prized possession apparently, but gave it to my brother in gratitude.
DSCF5247.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF5248.jpg
    DSCF5248.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF5247.jpg
    DSCF5247.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 22
Well that's the '41 Rodgers & Sons sold already, some people are just so impatient. I barely had time to clean it properly.

Just on the way out and got collared by the Postie...A little BCB Fire Dragon stove and fuel and an axe.

Not being an expert on axes, I've been looking around, as I have the chance of free access to some woodland. One of the owner's comments was, " There's a lot of dead stuff in there that could do with clearing"...So the axe hunt began.

I saw a local estate worker using an axe which I liked the look of and spoke to him, seeking advice. His comment was, " One of these will do you, they're a really good tool "...Which is recommendation enough for me.

So, a Hultafors 0.85 Kg 60cm handle was my choice. Not the high price of some well known axes, but nice straight grain in the handle and muchco sharp out of the wrapping! I'll oil the wood later.

P1050528.jpg

Attachments

• P1050528.jpg
    P1050528.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 21
That should do pretty much everything and it's light enough not to be a pain in the backside...a nice bit of linseed oil will give that helve a lovely feel and repel water and muck.

For the longest time I have carried a Swiss Army, they get rather battered. Since I also had a bit of spare wood, I decided to replace the plastic sides (forgot the name) with the wood. Cut to size, gorilla glue, file, done. It's now about one and a bit years later and I love how the wood has changed colour and the feel of it.

OKGxv_gRRxCYfYcSUfGdrUCumqU3utAqvUIxPP09PlhE=w2400.jpg

I'm gutted that I binned my Grandpa's knife years ago, one large blade and small blade. If only I had known how easy and much I loved the feel of the wooden sides. He too would have loved it, cause he was a carpenter. The "plastic" pearl sides with a golden inlay had broken off on one side and the other side was just a sharp shard. But back then I wasn't into DIY or had seen others do such things.

I'm wondering if I should have a look in the local antique shops to see if I can find one like it, mend it and pretend it is my grandpa's :)

Attachments

• OKGxv_gRRxCYfYcSUfGdrUCumqU3utAqvUIxPP09PlhE=w2400.jpg
    OKGxv_gRRxCYfYcSUfGdrUCumqU3utAqvUIxPP09PlhE=w2400.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 20
" That should do pretty much everything and it's light enough not to be a pain in the backside "

I hope so, I'm not very experienced with an axe. I watched the chap using exactly the same axe one handed, just clearing small branches to allow room to get at a fallen Ash with his chain saw.

He asked what I would be doing and when I explained he said basically what you have just written, Ystranc. The thing he said when I told him I only had limited experience was, " Don't be in a rush, think before you swing" Which I most definitely will...:)

Yup, that sounds about right Sax...remember that you're in the countryside now and everything moves at it's own pace...especially the ambulances.
Using an axe is also a bit like shooting, when you plan your shots you think of back stops... You have to think about where the axe will end up if it strikes a hard knotty bit and glances off, that's why it's always best to be working away from yourself or on the opposite side of the trunk to where you're standing.

Last edited:
Back