• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New? Useful Gadget

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Aye Up,

I’m recently new to the site and not sure if this item has featured previously, nowt’s coming up on the searches I’ve done.

I picked this up on Ebabe for about 7 quid earlier in the year and it’s come in handy several times already as an impromptu pot and an iPhone support.

It‘s so small, and relatively lightweight it’s worth carrying as a just in case item in yer ruck.
The plate is ali and the chain and hooks are steel.

I did take some phots of it being used in anger but I’ve changed phones since so had to demo it’s use in the back yard using some shelter support poles from me self reliance stores.

When the pole feet are set into the terrain and the poles are adjusted correctly it makes for a very stable tripod.
7A80F0EC-F674-4C8E-97F9-D9A859A7BEAF.jpeg
0CD786A5-95B4-4A77-BB07-A226F605F962.jpeg

When I first saw them advertised I thought about making one with some 3mm ali plate which I’ve got in the garage and which would be quite suitable. I then thought that at 7 quid it wouldn’t break the bank (just!)
The one in the phot is 2mm ali plate. The chain length is 42 cms. I doubt that there would be any meaningful weight difference if the plate was steel.

I was being thick as 2 short planks, couldn't make it out until I looked again, I like it 👍

Link in case anyone was looking at getting one

Last edited:
Setting it up as I did in the garden for the OP, it dawned on me that as well as using it for a camera/phone/cooking support it might also be possible with appropriately longer poles to use it for a small improvised teepee type shelter frame and be worthwhile carrying it as part of a ‘survival’ kit.

Take it a stage further and increase the size of the plate and holes so that it is still ruck portable, say A4 size for example, and it might work specifically for a larger teepee type shelter framework! In the quick pattern shown the poles could be up to 4 inches in diameter offering scope for a fairly substantial and robust improvised teepee shelter.
You could still have a drop chain to cater for hanging pots over a central (Dakota type?) fire pit.

Ive just used my last piece of 3mm ali plate on me truck. ☹️

Over to you! 😆

08ADBC64-F491-44BC-8DF5-A2FDB0D20D35.jpeg

good idea....................but the name .........................nope just does not work for me

"hi have you got a sundick"

say that in a pub

wakes up in
A n E!!!

guys, forgive my ignorance but why wouldn't i just use a bit of cordage to do my tripod? is it just the modern aversion to knowing a few knots?

the gizmo seems nice and all -- and trust me, i'm not trying to come off as the smart guy in the room here because i almost bought one a few months ago -- but isn't it maybe overthinking the problem a bit?

Well teef, as a former Sapper where the bread and butter of military engineering was knots and lashings I certainly have no aversion to knowing ’a few’ knots, in fact I still regularly use several of the ones not only from that side of that career but also those from extensive mountaineering experience - timber hitches; square lashings; fisherman's bend; round turn and two half hitches; prussik loop; figure of eight; bowline etc etc
And my absolute favourite - the clove hitch.

I would defo recommend knowing knots and lashings as a fundamental basic of self reliance activities and liken it to knowing how to accurately navigate by dead reckoning with a map and magnetic compass before operating with GPS. (But I do love GPS!).

My take on it is that if there is quick, simple and effective way to achieve a task it has to be worth a look at.
I reckon that using the ‘recognised’ cordage solution to create a sturdy tripod will take somewhat longer than using that plate.
Plus - it won’t tighten up if it gets saturated and dries out. (think de-struction as well as construction);
Plus - the hanging chain won’t catch light above a fire;
Plus - I won’t have to keep picking up metres of knotted/shredded discarded paracord left behind by ‘stealth campers’ who thought they knew (or didn’t bother to learn) a few knots and lashings! 🤣🤣

fair play. as i recall i had thought about that gizmo pretty much the same as you chaps are now, and then i talked myself out of it. not saying that was the right thing to do, just the way it went for me. i'm still not sure either way TBH, but my personal lifelong preoccupation with knots and knotwork probably had something to do with my decision to "pass" for the time being.

fwiw i wasn't trying to cast aspersions on anyone's knotting skills. i've just come to accept that your average person -- even your average outdoors person -- knows frightfully little about ropes and cordage and what to do with them. the things i've seen pass for a "knot" would chill your blood, says the guy with Ashley's Book of Knots on his desktop, two hard-covers on his bookshelf and one on every mobile device i've owned that had the space for the PDF.

guys, forgive my ignorance but why wouldn't i just use a bit of cordage to do my tripod? is it just the modern aversion to knowing a few knots?

the gizmo seems nice and all -- and trust me, i'm not trying to come off as the smart guy in the room here because i almost bought one a few months ago -- but isn't it maybe overthinking the problem a bit?
You're quite right Teef but for the ease of being able to knock together a tripod with adjustable height pot hanger in no time at all...plus I think it probably could be used in a lavvu/tipee if you layed 4 additional supporting poles in the v formed where the poles join leaving a gap at the door way.
Anyway, it wasn't me that bought it, it was the cider.

Aye Up teef,

As we are probably all aware, on the (digital screen) face of it the one dimensional aspect of digital forums doesn’t always convey sentiment or the attitude of a comment/question/response made by a person and so sometimes a little additional text might be needed to qualify the feeling behind a post - hence my paragraph 2 in post #14 Of this thread.

I for one didn‘t read anything negative into your initial post re casting aspersions.
If we can’t challenge things that are propped up/be prepared to defend them when they are, we might all end up less well informed than we could be. 🙂

A hint for anyone out there who follows the old roman philosophy of Titus Aduxas. When on eBay, never, never pay the asking price. Research the competition and ask the seller to price match, it may save a couple of quid on everything that you buy.
It was only a small reduction but instead of £7.95 I paid £6.95, still with free p&p for the sake of being shamelessly tight fisted.

Last edited:
A hint for anyone out there who follows the old roman philosophy of Titus Aduxas. When on eBay, never, never pay the asking price. Research the competition and ask the seller to price match, it may save a couple of quid on everything that you buy.
It was only a small reduction but instead of £7.95 I paid £6.95, still with free p&p for the sake of being shamelessly tight fisted.
😆 brilliant. Consider yersen an ‘onerary Yorksherman!

Back