• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Next knife - recommendations?

@Banzaibrothers

We also have a friend of the the forum who donated a knife for us to review and raffle a while back.
They also offer a discount to forum members.......good company and service.

Just another option to look at?
Hi willie,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently bought a knife from huntingandknives.co.uk, and although I received an order confirmation email the day of purchase, I have not heard anything further from them after over 2 weeks.

Is huntingandknives.co.uk still a legit website / business? Do you have experience buying from there recently? I'm just wondering when I can expect to receive my knife. I have made payment via PayPal, but it seems as though the business is Spain-based, despite having a UK admin office.

I guess I'm just worried that my money is gone and I won't receive anything :p If you have any info on huntingandknives, that would be greatly appreciated :D

- LL

If you paid via PayPal your money is safe :thumbsup:

As I said in the other post......give them a ring and speak to "Jorge" :)
I would think this is just a glitch somewhere that will be sorted out for you by them.

Last edited:
Further to my last......I have tried to ring and speak to "Jorge"......answer phone :)
I have asked him to pop on the forum to clear up this for you.
You could also try yourself the number is....07541 253986.

Aye Up,

I know you are sorted now Banzai, just thought I’d prop this one up for reference and future consideration re ‘private’ knife makers.

This was custom made about 6/7 years ago by an ‘amateur’ knife maker. Nowt amateur about the quality though!

It’s made from RWL34 stainless and hardened to 61 HRC.
Handles are olive micarta with brass pins.
Total length is 24.5cms.
Blade length is 12.5cms.
Blade thickness is 4mm.
Sabre grind with micro bevel?
Back spines are flat sanded for striking a ferro rod. (I haven’t)

It looks very similar to the TBS Boar (Military)

The maker hadn’t intended to sell it so I had to prize it out of his hands for £150!

It’s proven to be a superb piece of kit.

I’m sure you’ll find that TBS the same.

Incidentally, some time later the maker knocked up some folding every day carry versions but with an optional locking pin. I lost touch before I’d saved up enough to buy one.☹️

PS
I too am a fan of Mora. A Mora Black Survival has been a trusty companion for several years in one of my kits.
I think that I would probably upgrade that with the full tang Garberg (when funds are available/wifey isn’t looking!😆).
5C09596E-8DA4-43AF-A91A-51D5FD1DA9DC.jpeg

4EC31E2C-C88E-402B-B44B-C06F653E2B62.jpeg

I remember that red dot 🔴 makers mark but can’t remember his name … lovely knife 👍
Thanks, yes it comes to hand nicely nice weight/balance and the handle sits just right for me.
I‘m not an edge fanatic, as long as it cuts fairly easily I’m happy.
I usually just run a slip stone along the edge briefly when I‘m finished with it before resheathing.

I think his first name was Mark.

I

Thanks, yes it comes to hand nicely nice weight/balance and the handle sits just right for me.
I‘m not an edge fanatic, as long as it cuts fairly easily I’m happy.
I usually just run a slip stone along the edge briefly when I‘m finished with it before resheathing.

I think his first name was Mark.

I

Mark Jacob from Cornwall .... Think he has a facebook page

mark.177 over on Bushcraftuk .... Last active October 2020

Mark Jacob from Cornwall .... Think he has a facebook page

mark.177 over on Bushcraftuk .... Last active October 2020

That sounds like the man. I had it at the back of my mind that he came from the SW, I would have guessed Devon but yeah Cornwall. Thanks for that.

When I‘ve finished ~spending~ wasting money on me Disco, if he’s still making I might pursue him for one on those folders.

I have one of Mark Jacobs' knives, made for me some years ago when I was a more frequent visitor to BCUK.
I'm not a carver or whittler and I don't think I have a fixed blade under 4.5 inches. This one He made for me has a 6 inch x 1/4 inch blade. He's a fine Craftsman.:thumbsup:

DSC00665.JPG

Alongside my EDC Victorinox Trail Master, I think? Like the Forester model but without the curly corkscrew..:D

DSC00666.JPG

My research earlier seemed to suggest he may not be making any more but as I don't do Facebook I didn't check that line of enquiry .....

I have one of Mark Jacobs' knives, made for me some years ago when I was a more frequent visitor to BCUK.
I'm not a carver or whittler and I don't think I have a fixed blade under 4.5 inches. This one He made for me has a 6 inch x 1/4 inch blade. He's a fine Craftsman.:thumbsup:

View attachment 33942

Alongside my EDC Victorinox Trail Master, I think? Like the Forester model but without the curly corkscrew..:D

View attachment 33943
Nice knives Saxonaxe

I agree, he is very, very good.

I often wondered if his skills have been taken up by a commercial retailer and some of the alternate branded knives are his doing?

" I often wondered if his skills have been taken up by a commercial retailer and some of the alternate branded knives are his doing? "

I'm not sure Sharpfinger, but I have a feeling that even with his skills the whole knife making process perhaps became almost an expensive past time for him and others. I recall that 10+ years ago there seemed to be a knife maker round every corner but slowly the numbers have decreased to the present level. Well known names no longer seem to be offering knives for sale.
Personally I think the Wild Camping era is with us now and knives are way down the fashionable required kit list. Gucci tents, and feather light kit s the New Order. Bush Craft is now practically 'Cooking in the Woods' judging by the output on You Tube, cast Iron pots and Titanium Mugs rule...Ah! Don't forget yer Trivet and spice rack...:rofl:

" I often wondered if his skills have been taken up by a commercial retailer and some of the alternate branded knives are his doing? "

I'm not sure Sharpfinger, but I have a feeling that even with his skills the whole knife making process perhaps became almost an expensive past time for him and others. I recall that 10+ years ago there seemed to be a knife maker round every corner but slowly the numbers have decreased to the present level. Well known names no longer seem to be offering knives for sale.
Personally I think the Wild Camping era is with us now and knives are way down the fashionable required kit list. Gucci tents, and feather light kit s the New Order. Bush Craft is now practically 'Cooking in the Woods' judging by the output on You Tube, cast Iron pots and Titanium Mugs rule...Ah! Don't forget yer Trivet and spice rack...:rofl:
You may be right Sax. And of course as time marches on people age/retire/feel less inclined etc.

‘New Order’ - I like that. Ranks alongside ‘Generation X‘ and ‘Millennials’. 🤣

... Bush Craft is now practically 'Cooking in the Woods' judging by the output on You Tube ...
yup, sad but true. makes one want to shoot some footage eating raw weiners and Koolaid mix out of the package -- or uncooked frozen peas and chips for the veggie crowd -- with night footage of the endless fart sack symphony that would inevitably follow. come to think of it Blazing Saddles pretty much did that already, wonder if they were spoofing an outdoor "gourmet" rage of their day.

Back