• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Night Vision......."Fire Wolf"

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
A bit sceptical at first when looking at this little cheap and cheerful add on unit.
But decided to have a punt anyway......in mind for use on my B.S.A. Scultra.
I was pleasantly surprised with the build quality.....all aluminium.....apart from the battery box.
The scope attachment ring is machined well.... and works smoothly when wound up against the shims.....holding the unit firmly in position on the scope......solid.
The unit has brightness and contrast control buttons.
The I.R. is supposed to work well out to 50 metres.......ample for night time 12ftlb use.
But I may try adding a more powerful I.R. torch at some point after trying it out.... as is.
I mounted it on the rifle and it sits well...... and is not too intrusive.......and NO wires or separate battery housing to clamp on.

The unit is not waterproof.....I think that would be expecting a lot from such a basic uncomplicated and cheap unit.
Gone are the days of laying in the wet and rain anyway.

Although it will be used for Rabbiting in the main......I think the Fire Wolf would be perfect for Ratting work.

Looking forward to getting out with it for trials in the field.......when we get some better weather.

Last edited:
A few pictures.

Attachments

• 20210311_133840.jpg
    20210311_133840.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 294
  • 20210311_133901.jpg
    20210311_133901.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 20210311_133954.jpg
    20210311_133954.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 20210311_152440.jpg
    20210311_152440.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 20210311_152457.jpg
    20210311_152457.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 20210311_152557.jpg
    20210311_152557.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 210
@Matt found a bit more about the unit here mate.

Maybe of interest to @gavin and maybe @divebuddy too?

Had a play when it got dark......looking out of a bedroom window.........quite impressed with it.........clear picture.
The I.R. is not too bad at all......but I will try a stronger one while experimenting and playing with it when the weather clears up a bit :thumbsup:

This rough weather spell has put the brakes on any further trials with the "Fire Wolf"........... for the moment :rolleyes:
Forecast is for better conditions next week.......so......hopefully??

Need to get in the cover of one of the barns to check the zero and mapping of the scope :thumbsup:

Was giving some thought to the reach of the I.R. on the unit.
It will actually act as a kind of range finder.....knowing it reaches out to about 50 yds will help with judging target distances........at 50 and in between :)
Well.....thats the theory anyway.

.177 users should not have to many problems with holdover anyway.

Looking forward to getting out proper with it soon.

will prob hit the button on one of these next weekend :whistle:

For the price it is a pretty good little unit Matt for 12ftlb use.......be good at the Golf course buddy :thumbsup:
Be good for Gavin to when he is out with you.....theres one :eek:......theres another one:eek::rofl:

I was hoping to get out with the unit last night......but it was blowing a hoolie...........and the particular permission I had in mind is very exposed......so gave it a body swerve in the end.

I did however try the unit for fit and security on the MTC Connect scope which is fitted on the FAC Pulsar.......I had my doubts.
The reason for the doubt is.......the Connect has a very short and stubby ocular lens tube.....but.... the unit went on a treat and was a solid fit.....so well happy with that result......opens up the options a tad :)

Hopefully get some calmer weather soon......its on its way :)

I bought one and it works really well. Managed to shoot a small rat in the garden last week using infra red. The colour setting is good in daylight. For the money I think it is good value. Only problem has been the on/off switch which has been a bit sticky.

Any more to say about how you went on with this night vision unit Bill?

Hi Mike.

Had a couple of trips out with it a while back.......not been out shooting for a while.
As Dick says above its good value for money and such a simple unit to use.
Only problem I had was with the Ocular lens fine adjustment ring.......it is quite easy to move so the unit could be knocked out of alignment very easily and focus would be lost.
A wraparound with a piece of electrical tape cured that.....no problems now :thumbsup:

Worth a punt :)

How about the batteries? There seem to be a few reviews that mention it needing higher than normal output.

Back