• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

November over-nighter in our local glen.

Spot on Paul :thumbsup::thumbsup: Best video yet mate. And the coffee...well it was nice to see you remembered :rofl: Enjoyed watching mate.

Skim read it on my phone, I'll read it and watch the vid on the pc, one point re hammock, to avoid ending up in a bunch it's best to pitch the foot end slightly higher than the head end, problem solved, look forward to watching the video later :)

have a practice at home mate, the initial scrape should be a pile of brown dusty material

I will do that Joe. I find it odd that I managed fine plenty times in the summer but I did break a ferro rod so maybe the one I'm using currently is of lower quality. It was one of a set of 10 from China. Got one of the 6" x 1/2" thick ones on my wish list for Christmas though. :)

I will do that Joe. I find it odd that I managed fine plenty times in the summer but I did break a ferro rod so maybe the one I'm using currently is of lower quality. It was one of a set of 10 from China. Got one of the 6" x 1/2" thick ones on my wish list for Christmas though. :)
It looked to have been throwing good sparks Paul but not consistently. I got several of the 6x1/2 rods from ebay which are very good.I'll go through my box and see if I have any left. I think the reason birch bark works better in the summer is that the warmth better releases the volatiles

Nice write-up mate......and your camera work is going from strength to strength.....excellent video well put together.
What a great overnighter......even more lessons learnt.....we never stop learning Paul:D
You will soon fine tune the pack kit and weight to how you want it:thumbsup:
Regards fire in the Winter months....no shame in taking along some fire biscuits just in case......could not do without the cup of tea/coffee mate:);)

Nice post.....thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I had a Facebook conversation with our local historian. Interesting eh?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historian: "Did you build the big hut overlooking the Woodside Burn shortly north by north-west of the point in question?"
Calderglen stick hut.jpg

Me: "No, not me. I just had a tarp and hammock. Heard of a guy who used to live down there years ago. Maybe him?"

Historian: "There is somebody living down there but he is a total enigma. He has been resident for 25-30 years, and although now surely an old man he is very robust and agile.
He has attacked people and there have been four accounts of finding his abodes lined with varying furs and dead domestic dogs. I think he eats a lot of things that others would never dare! The Police know about him too. He wanders between Rigmuir to Crutherland, and up to Stoneymeadow. Seems to be an early morning character.
I have only caught two glimpses of him, but he seems to know more about me than I do him - as a hunter who happened upon him whilst cooking was only too happy to relate the story - to my peril! I am apparently the guy who goes about crawling through bushes getting all mawkit while taking notes...." enough said. He also said he was lucky that the hunter caught him when he was unaware or he would have been a gonner.
He terrorises walkers to. Although I have never been targeted ...yet. Police do not enter the glen for 'Fear of officer safety in unknown terrain'... which I find rather unbelievable. We need a suburban police force!"

Me: "Wow. Well that gives my wife something to worry about now LOL
I thought I heard something/someone wading in the river in the evening but shone the torch but couldnt see anything. Assumed it was maybe a deer. I'll certainly be on my guard"
I'm going back down there today to look for my knife which I must have dropped and to take some pics as it's such a nice day. I'll take the zoom lens in case I see him :)

Wow that's a story and a half, makes you wonder about the police being hesitant to go in, maybe fearing traps ? Hope you find your knife.

Historian: "Did you build the big hut overlooking the Woodside Burn shortly north by north-west of the point in question?"
View attachment 11676

Me: "No, not me. I just had a tarp and hammock. Heard of a guy who used to live down there years ago. Maybe him?"

Historian: "There is somebody living down there but he is a total enigma. He has been resident for 25-30 years, and although now surely an old man he is very robust and agile.
He has attacked people and there have been four accounts of finding his abodes lined with varying furs and dead domestic dogs. I think he eats a lot of things that others would never dare! The Police know about him too. He wanders between Rigmuir to Crutherland, and up to Stoneymeadow. Seems to be an early morning character.
I have only caught two glimpses of him, but he seems to know more about me than I do him - as a hunter who happened upon him whilst cooking was only too happy to relate the story - to my peril! I am apparently the guy who goes about crawling through bushes getting all mawkit while taking notes...." enough said. He also said he was lucky that the hunter caught him when he was unaware or he would have been a gonner.
He terrorises walkers to. Although I have never been targeted ...yet. Police do not enter the glen for 'Fear of officer safety in unknown terrain'... which I find rather unbelievable. We need a suburban police force!"

I thought I heard something/someone wading in the river in the evening but shone the torch but couldnt see anything. Assumed it was maybe a deer. I'll certainly be on my guard"
I'm going back down there today to look for my knife which I must have dropped and to take some pics as it's such a nice day. I'll take the zoom lens in case I see him :)
I just love tales like that one Paul, myth mixed with legend

btw Joe, I've been using the Map My Walk app you recommended. It's great for reviewing exactly where and how far you've hiked. I've found that the MapOptions/OpenStreet layer option sometimes gives more historical and geological information than the standard map. Thanks

btw Joe, I've been using the Map My Walk app you recommended. It's great for reviewing exactly where and how far you've hiked. I've found that the MapOptions/OpenStreet layer option sometimes gives more historical and geological information than the standard map. Thanks
Yes Paul it' s a useful app

Hi Paul, i am also using the map my walk app when walking the dog. Excellent app.

View attachment 11676

Well Paul......after that conversation with the historian......and the response from the police......I can see how much easier you will sleep now when there.

At least you now know it is a real sychopath stalking the woods......and not some silly ghost.
Might pay to pack extra toilet roll and underwear :eek::D

Well Paul......after that conversation with the historian......and the response from the police......I can see how much easier you will sleep now when there.
At least you now know it is a real sychopath stalking the woods......and not some silly ghost.
Might pay to pack extra toilet roll and underwear :eek::D

To be frank I don't know how much of that is true or just exaggerated rumour. Maybe the guy just doesn't want people down there messing up his historical/geological site?
Maybe I should ask the police's opinion on it? (doubt that I'd get far with that though)

Rather than just keeping the morning fire fuel under the tarp worth almost baking it in the fire the night before to properly dry it out, making it much easier to get he fire going.

Now there's a very good idea! Thanks 38

Back