• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Old axe still "Cuts it"

humperdingle

Slightly Addicted
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=v...-HANDLED-FIREMANS-AXE-%2F291135776704;300;225

So i've had this old axe (axehead/spike) sitting in my shed for about 20 years, before which, it had been in my dad's garage for gawd knows how long...

The story, as I recall, is that it was my uncle's old firemans' axe. Given that my uncle has been dead for about 30 years and retired long before that, it is a decent age :)

Anyway, looks exactly like the one above.

Sharpened it up today for the first time in living memory... what an edge it takes! This will be my new kindling axe :D

Nice find! I found an old hatchet head in my dad's old shed a few years ago, maybe I should dig that out and practice my sharpening skills on it. It will probably be better quality steel than a lot of this modern rubbish.

Smashing!!! Looks like it's come full circle then...from helping to stop fires to helping to start them ;)

Regards Mello.

Back