• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Opinel

lol

Extremely Addicted
Surprised to not see anything about these general purpose/camp kitchen blades, as often well thought of and cheap?

I think, it is like with the right hand.

Nobody writes about it.
Everybody has one
and knows how useful it is.

Everyone except me! And yet I have just last night recommended them to a friend :)……..need to correct that and get one, possibly a No 8?

In my opinion the Opinel Nr 8 Carbone is one of the best outdoor knives of the world market.
Perfectly light, perfect for kitchen and carving, easy to sharpen. Gets razor sharp.

No problem if you should loose it. It is incredibly cheap for an European product.

Every German former or actual boy Scout owns one.
Every French citizen owns two or three.

I think, they get it with the baptism.

In my opinion this knives are better than the Moras for trekking.

Reactions: lol

I think I'll get a No 8 in stainless as soon as I find one!

No!

Take the original!

Opinel No 8 Carbone

That you will get sharper.

It is the better choice for normal use.

The handle sucks away moisture.

Never used one, never even SEEN one 😅... only knew about their existance, elegant poking devices 😆. 12€ For a no 8 Carbone, didn't know they were that cheap. I'm getting one asap 😁

I keep an Opinel (9 I think) in my mess tin set up as a cooking knife. Great knives but unfortunately not a good pocket knife in the UK.

As I wrote somewhere else before:

Should you get problems with sand in the ring, you can take it away easily, if you close the blade and secure it with the ring and than open it with pliers.

The ring will jump away. You later can press it back.

That's a good option to make it UK legal for daily carry. But for daily carry and seldom use for a minute the Opinel No7 is the better choice, because it fits better in the pocket.

But for bushcraft the No8 fits better in the hand of adult men.
If you don't pay attention, its possible to cut yourself a bit in the finger of the holding hand, if you use a No7 as adult man.

That are pictures of a No7 in a hand of glove size No 10,5.

Buy the way:
In France you can get every size without the blocking ring. That stuff exists on the market too.

Had one briefly years ago. If memory serves me right I swapped it for a slingshot.....must get another one. Can’t remember the size tho.

How long may be the non locking blade for legal carry in UK, without special reason to use it?

Extracted from Wikipedia ......

Sizes and variations[edit]
Opinel knives are currently offered in eleven numbered sizes: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 13. The No. 1 Opinel was discontinued in 1932.[13] With its tiny 2 cm (0.787-inch) blade and boxwood handle, it was meant to be attached to a key fob or watch chain and used as a tobacco pipe cleaner[13][14] or nail cleaner,[14] but was judged to be too small.[13] The No. 11 Opinel was discontinued in 1935, its size being considered too similar to Opinels Nos. 10 and 12.[13]

With its 8.5 cm blade, the No. 8 Opinel is perhaps the most widely used size, though Nos. 4, 6, and 10 are consistent sellers. There is a considerable difference in size between No. 12 (12 cm blade) and the recently-added novelty No. 13, Le Géant ("the Giant") with its 22 cm blade. There is now a No. 7 round-ended knife without the sharp point, intended for children and others as "My first Opinel".

A variety of different Opinels have been offered over the years. A few are sold more for their novelty value than for practical purposes, such as Le Géant. Besides the Slim Effile series and the Couteau du Jardin, Opinel also offers a hawkbill-bladed pruning knife designed for use in the garden or vineyard, and a large folding wood saw with locking blade using the same Virobloc mechanism as found on large Opinel knives. For the kitchen, the company sells vegetable peelers, chefs knives, paring knives, knives with corkscrews (couteau tire-bouchon), and prep knives for the kitchen, including a mushroom knife (couteau à champignon), with an integral boar's hair cleaning brush.[13] In 2014, Opinel released again new varieties of knives for cooking.[15]

No!

Take the original!

Opinel No 8 Carbone

That you will get sharper.

It is the better choice for normal use.

The handle sucks away moisture.
I may, but initially I prefer the idea of stainless, for general sharpening, and I do a lot(?) of canoeing...it WILL get wet

So I recommend to buy the Opinel No7 Carbone for daily carry and seldom short use.

Remove the ring.
(And put it in the other pocket. :D)

And take away a bit of the tip.

The original blade is 7,7 cm.

The Opinel No6 is constructed for children's hands. It is to small for adult people.

Every smaller model is a joke, no tool.

I think in the boat a stainless No 8 is a good choice and legal reason.

Back