• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Overnighter deep in the Australian Bush

Tobias

Slightly Talkative
Hey everyone! I just uploaded a video of my most recent trip, where I set up camp by a river, explore the area, and spend the night. I truly hope you enjoy it.

Hi Tobias.

Please take a minute to introduce yourself in the "Welcome Section" gives members the chance to welcome you to the forum properly:thumbsup:

Hi Tobias.

Thanks for sharing that video footage with us....very well put together:thumbsup:

The stunning location you picked...everything you could possibly wish for.
Some amazing wildlife in the video.
Liking your backpack looks to be very well made.

Where about's in Austrailia are you?

Be good to see some more videos of your outings:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Tobias.

Please take a minute to introduce yourself

Will do, mate!

Hi Tobias.

Thanks for sharing that video footage with us....very well put together:thumbsup:

The stunning location you picked...everything you could possibly wish for.
Some amazing wildlife in the video.
Liking your backpack looks to be very well made.

Where about's in Austrailia are you?

Be good to see some more videos of your outings:thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. I'm based in New South Wales in Australia, but hope to branch out to other areas on future trips. Cheers!

Pleasure mate....always nice to see good videos of trips out:thumbsup:

In the video, you used a tent is this your normal shelter choice or do you mix it up a bit using a tarp or hammock sometimes?
It was nice to see you had left no trace by hiding the fire scar:thumbsup:
I expect Bushcraft is quite big in Austrailia.....was it a family interest....or did you take it up yourself.

Nice first post:thumbsup:

Nice vid mate...top place to do a spot of bush craft:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do you catch your food when out and about?

is this your normal shelter choice or do you mix it up a bit using a tarp or hammock sometimes?

I usually go with the tent, although it is a bit of a pain to set up sometimes. I have been wanting to try out using just a tarp, but Australia tends to provide plenty of visitors during the night. I often have giant ants, spiders, and snakes in and around my camp, so I might hold off on using a tarp for safety's sake. What do you use?

It was nice to see you had left no trace by hiding the fire scar:thumbsup:

Leaving no trace is a core element to my beliefs! Thanks for noticing.

I expect Bushcraft is quite big in Austrailia.....was it a family interest....or did you take it up yourself.

I took it up myself. I feel out of place in the city, and growing up in and around the bush has made it my home. And yourself?

Nice vid mate...top place to do a spot of bush craft:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do you catch your food when out and about?

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Most times I bring food with me, because the water sources near me often do not have sizeable fish in them. All other animals are off limits to me, as I don't hunt native Australian marsupials/reptiles/birds for obvious reasons. However, I do munch on some bush tucker here and there.

I'd like to do a fishing trip soon though! Do you catch your food when out and about?

In reply to many of your questions Tobias many of us over here use a 3x3 metre tarp setup but a tent is optional depending on the weather conditions. As regards hunting our own food most of us don't and most of the forum members here also work on the leave no trace policy.

Last edited:
@Tobias

I understand your GOOD reasons and thinking using a tent where you are.....and the need for enclosed protection.
We are lucky here in the U.K. as we do not have the nasties here that you have there.....thank goodness :D....so there are other and more shelter options open to us...including tarps and hammocks also debris shelters if you feel the need.

The only threat we have here is a possible visit during the night from @Matt :sneaky: he gets lonely :rofl:

"What do you use?"......A lot of us use tarps mostly....but hammocks and tents are also on the list...depends on where we are and for how long...weather etc.
I must admit....I'm liking the tent more and more at the moment.

My go to tent is a Slummit Gobi 3

" and yourself ".......I was pretty much raised by my grandparents who lived in the countryside.
My Grandfather (bless him)....loved to walk in the woods with the dog...we would make rope swings and build shelters together and had some great fun and fond memories...the seed was planted back then I think :)

Nothing like being out and about mate:thumbsup:

In reply to may of your questions Tobias many of us over here use a 3x3 metre tarp setup but a tent is optional depending on the weather conditions. As regards hunting our own food most of us don't and most of the forum members here also work on the leave no trace policy.
Great to know. Thanks for the response, Joe. I might have to take a trip over there to have a proper go at tarp camping!

The only threat we have here is a possible visit during the night from @Matt :sneaky: he gets lonely :rofl:

Hahahahah very glad we don't have any of those in Aus!

My go to tent is a Slummit Gobi 3

Looks like quite a good tent, I'm a big fan of that colour. What is it like in cold weather? Good insulation?

I was pretty much raised by my grandparents who lived in the countryside.
My Grandfather (bless him)....loved to walk in the woods with the dog...we would make rope swings and build shelters together and had some great fun and fond memories...the seed was planted back then I think :)

That is an absolutely lovely story. Thank you so much for sharing.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Most times I bring food with me, because the water sources near me often do not have sizeable fish in them. All other animals are off limits to me, as I don't hunt native Australian marsupials/reptiles/birds for obvious reasons. However, I do munch on some bush tucker here and there.

I'd like to do a fishing trip soon though! Do you catch your food when out and about?

No worries m8 the vid was worth a watch a will subscribe to your channel :thumbsup:

Sometimes a try to catch my own food but it's to fast :rofl:..... always take food with me :rofl:

Av watched a few vid's on YouTube about Australia and they catch and eat..a think they called them mud crab..they look tasty:thumbsup:

20161029_191054.jpg
20161029_191042.jpg

Hi Tobias, I thought I'd post a couple of pics from our October meet last year, Matt our administrator on the left and divebuddy one of the moderators
Bottom pic Neil and oneshot willie (Bill) one of the managers

Hi Tobias.

"Looks like quite a good tent, I'm a big fan of that colour. What is it like in cold weather? Good insulation?"

It's a nylon tent so it won't offer the same insulation values as a canvas one......but not as heavy :D
I have used it in some fairly cold weather in Scotland....close the vents up and it's quite snug in there.
Not bad in the wind either... with good pegs....stayed in one piece during 40/50 mph winds at a Lochside.
Never had a drop of water pass through it:thumbsup:
Condensation is minimal......and very easy to dry.

Here's a picture of it in the cold and snow.....not the best picture.

dsc_0096-jpg.8706

It is sat on a footprint and I use a Xped down mattress to sleep on....toasty warm.

Hi Tobias, I thought I'd post a couple of pics from our October meet last year, Matt our administrator on the left and divebuddy one of the moderators
Bottom pic Neil and oneshot willie (Bill) one of the managers

Looks like a great camp - how often does this forum have a meet?

....stayed in one piece during 40/50 mph winds at a Lochside.
Never had a drop of water pass through it:thumbsup:

That would have been quite an experience! Seems like a perfect tent for cold weather. I have never been able to camp in snow like that because of the conditions in Australia, but it is certainly on my bucket list.

Looks like a great camp - how often does this forum have a meet?
Usually two main get togethers mate though where there are several members in a close geographic area such as Devon a few smaller impromptu meets do take place

Back