• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Petition Dartmoor

I have set up a petition myself, itā€™s to stop Bill from telling his jokes. We must stop this, so please sign as soon as you can, we have suffered enough.
I'll sign it! I like jokes but not when the subject is serious.

Both work fine for me Paul........good and interesting link,......... liking the poem :thumbsup:

The only link I can find for petitions on wild camping is an old one, which closed early due to a general election so I can't tell if it was ever submitted. It's on a different domain, but It has the same number as the one linked in the OP. Legalise Wild Camping in the UK . Looks like a refresh might be in order, it must have been done around 2015!

There don't appear to be any current government petitions regarding camping on Dartmoor
There is now!

Sorry, but this Petition is very badly worded, ā€œthe recent overturning of peopleā€™s right to roamā€ is NOT what has happened! Totally wrong.

Saying that people should not own land in National Parks is just pure balderdash, there are many hardworking farmers within the National Parks, who, surely have the right to do what generations of their family have done to earn a living. These people are the guardians of the National Parks, not the enemy, and they were there way before these places were granted National Park status.

I have already stated my feelings on the recent judgement, but this whole issue has been highjacked by the ā€œRight to Roamā€ brigade, who are putting an erroneous spin on it.

As someone who has been associated with Dartmoor for over 50 years, and worked for an Authority in the Park for over 30 years, the Right to Roam would be an unmitigated disaster for most people who call National Parks home. For goodness sake, there is enough space to roam without settling the family down for a picnic in a farmers field! There is enough trouble from those who leave gates open, leave litter, run their dogs and kill stock as it is, without giving them the ā€œRightā€ to roam over private property.

I donā€™t own land, apart from my curtilage, but I do rent an acre of woodland for MY basecamp. If anyone wishes to gatecrash when I am there, especially with my Grandkids, because they think they have the ā€œRight to Roamā€ā€¦ā€¦..Then good luck, because they will bloody need it if they donā€™t heed my initial polite request to leave.

This is not a petition I would give my name to, I speak as a very informed personā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.Sorry. šŸ¤·

Edit: I have just read that petition againā€¦ā€¦ā€¦Absolute rubbish and incorrect.

It will be interesting to hear what our Scottish contingent have to say, where the 'right to roam, and 'wild camp' has been enshrined in the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003. Problems, advantages, disadvantages, abuses etc. @Ark79 @G1ZmO Are you laughing at us Sassanachs?

Often the term right right to roam is misused by people who donā€™t confine their activities to ā€œunenclosed land.ā€ Iā€™ve had tourists wander across my paddocks and follow the path into my garden before now, only to become abusive declaring that they didnā€™t see any signs saying it was private and resent being asked to turn back (Though they must have passed at least two signs or climbed fences) There is often a wilful assumption that the right to roam applies to the entire countryside rather than land which is designated as open access by the shaded orange boundary on an OS map...that is without starting on the more furtive types like poachers and doggers that used to frequent the place before we bought it off the 72 year old man who owned it before us.
The thing is that Iā€™m happy for people to enjoy the countryside, even on my land but I do expect them to respect the land, our rights to property as well as my and my partnerā€™s right to privacy.

Last edited:
Back