• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Preference

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Any time out in the wilds and enjoying nature is a good thing.
Unwinding and enjoying the company of like minded people and friends.

As far as the seasons go.....I much prefer the Autumn and Winter months.....and the extra challenges that they bring.

How about you?......do you have a preference.......and why? :)

Having a fire is definitely the focal point and will draw a group together and around it.
Nice for group cooking too.....chuck it in a big pot......give it a stir and get stuck in :)

For individual cooking....what is your go to stove?

Twas very hot last night, bit uncomfortable but I kinda expected it.
I'm using an alcohol stove which I like all beit a bit slow but always used to use the fire or on rare occasions a hexamine stove (bloody orrible things).

I also love Springtime for camping, it’s great to watch everything coming back to life around you and the undergrowth hasn’t yet reached gargantuan proportions. Fresh leaves to forage, a little bunny bashing, warm days and cool restful nights. Unless you’re sorted out with the right amount of insulation the winter/spring camping in my neck of the woods can get unpleasantly cold (the last spring meet at my place had several sub zero nights and Winter was long, cold and wet)
My go to stoves are the Kelly kettle trekker and the Trangia 27ul.
I love to have a fire when I’m on my own ground but it draws too much attention when I’m elsewhere. There is a new spot near to my home that I’m hoping to try soon...it’s called the sugarloaf and it’s roughly 6miles easy walk in from a rural railway station of the same name. It’s open access but fires are definitely not allowed (52.13447° N, 3.67104° W)

Last edited:
To be honest I like all season, back in the day when I lived over Essex way I used to send a lot of time in Scandinavia and loved the snow and winter seasons best there. Now I tend to spend most of my time on the Moors I prefer the drier seasons as the Moors are rather soggy most of the year. That said I go out all year round come rain or shine as it's really the only way to test kit and learn new skills.

One good thing is the crappier the weather the less you need to worry about the public

I have to admit, that after 3 decades working on Dartmoor in all weathers, getting soaked to the pants, or that cold I would stand next to my oven with the door open at 5 in the morning to warm up after a night on the Moor checking on spawning Salmon. I am now a bit of a fair weather camper, hiker, fisherman.

We have just spent four nights at, what we call, Basecamp. Lovely warm evenings, amazing birdsong, lots of activity in the wood, including being woken by a Roe barking, Bats having a feast. It was heavenly, and certainly good for the soul. 👍
IMG_4926.jpeg

Winter months for me when Bushcrafting or hiking in the woods for a camp or just a brew and something to eat 👍🏻 the cold and snow add to the escape imo, less bugs and everything seems quieter and fresh. Summer months for the fishing tho 😁

Back