• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Purchasing Outside Of The UK After Brexit

MickyD

Slightly Talkative
Hi All,

I am new to air pistols and have recently been looking into buying "some more" after I made a couple of purchases from Crawley Surplus Store, and yesterday from Pellpax.

I have read about SWS Sportwaffen Schneider as the place to go, but has anyone had an experience recently, since Jan 1, 2021, buying outside the UK? Any issues with Brexit, taxes, delivery, customs etc?

I've also read some people have had their guns destroyed at customs, even though they are legal to own. Does this still happen?

Thanks

Michael

Hi All,

I am new to air pistols and have recently been looking into buying "some more" after I made a couple of purchases from Crawley Surplus Store, and yesterday from Pellpax.

I have read about SWS Sportwaffen Schneider as the place to go, but has anyone had an experience recently, since Jan 1, 2021, buying outside the UK? Any issues with Brexit, taxes, delivery, customs etc?

I've also read some people have had their guns destroyed at customs, even though they are legal to own. Does this still happen?

Thanks

Michael
Welcome aboard. Why don't you take a minute to introduce yourself in the Welcome section?

I've not heard of any air rifles being destroyed at customs. Post Brexshit, any items over 135€ in value that cross from the UK to the EU or vice-versa are subject to VAT being paid in the sending country in advance, plus any customs duties that the receiving authorities see fit to apply. There may also be a charge from the shipping company, since they have more paperwork to fill out.

A reliable supplier who's set up to export will take care of all these charges when quoting you for an airgun, and make the necessary payments to the local authorities. Companies that haven't taken account of these changed regulations may leave you open to hefty import and VAT charges before your parcel can be delivered.

Check with the supplier direct before ordering, to make sure that they're charging you the right amount and will handle all the admin with and payments to the local authorities.

Hi Coypu,

Thanks, yes, I just posted an intro too. I jumped the gun so to speak with a question first.

I was reading somewhere a few days ago that some people had had their airguns destroyed at customs and also had been questions by police etc, re licensing and all that, so just wanted to check if anyone else recently had experienced something similar.

Over 135 Euro? Interesting, I haven't heard or read that number anywhere, so will check into that too. Great to know that the suppliers would be the ones that would do that side of things making the process a lot easier, but makes sense to reach out to them too.

Are there any recommended online retailers outside of the UK and delivery service of choice?

Thanks

I think there's a first step at 45€, above which value VAT may be charged at point of origin.

Not all sellers will do the admin for you, and some will charge an admin fee since they have to fill out a customs declaration, collect the VAT and send it on.

I've used the Silesia shop in Poland for pistols, DB Schietsport in the Netherlands and Carabinas y Pistolas in Spain for rifles in the past, good service and quick delivery from all three. These were used a while back however, so I don't know if they are set up to export to the UK under the new regs.

Oh right, interesting info. I've not bought anything outside the UK yet so don't quite know all the costs etc involved. I did hear a lot of companies struggled with things between the UK and EU.

Nice, thanks for the names. I will check them out and see what they are like. I will keep my purchases within the UK for the moment unless there is something that pops up.

I will keep my purchases within the UK for the moment unless there is something that pops up.
If you donate any amount towards the upkeep of this forum, you gain access to a 5% discount code valid for all Pellpax products. Jes' sayin'... :whistle:

Oh cool. That would have helped yesterday when I placed my order with them 😅 So you click the donate button top right and then it shows a discount code or something? Could be a good option for next time.

Oh cool. That would have helped yesterday when I placed my order with them 😅 So you click the donate button top right and then it shows a discount code or something? Could be a good option for next time.
Shoulda joined yesterday. :p

Click the donate button, make your PayPal donation, then you will be able to access the Donors' Den section of the site, where various discount codes are available.

I recently purchased the Artemis PP800 from Crawley Surplus Store, although I did try to purchase from EU, Krale I seem to recall, but my memory isn't what it was, they weren't posting to UK at the time.

Talking of the Artemis PP800, my shooting buddy is going to pull the pistol through on Saturday for me and we going to chronograph it too, along with a ratcatcher he was given by his late brothers wife. He's also been given back a rifle he gave to his son, so going to be a busy afternoon for my buddy. ;)

His SIL also gave him 3 of his late brothers rifles and he insisted on me having one. :D:cool:

20210708_124738.jpg

Just to clarify, the UK's new import VAT rules are that everything is liable for import vat. The old £15 minimum order value has gone. If its between £0 and £135, the foreign seller is supposed to charge you vat and hand it to the UK Government. If it's over £135, you're supposed to pay import vat when it arrives in the UK (via Royal Mail, UPS etc). However, many foreign retailers quite understandably do not want the hassle or expense of registering with HMRC in the UK and collecting taxes on behalf of the UK Government, so they are simply no longer accepting orders under £135. Brexit is the gift that just keeps on giving...unless you're in Northern Ireland, of course, because they get special treatment and are still in the EU customs Union.

Back