• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Return to Aviemore 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is aimed primarily at @Matt but I'm interested in any replies. I have been thinking about the log/firewood situation for my stove - to say nothing of the firepit. I was up there at the end of September for three days/two nights and I got through quite a few logs. So I'm thinking that in January, particularly if we get the blizzards that some of you crazy bar-stewards want, we will get through quite a bit of firewood. My car is going to be quite well stacked, just with the equipment that I will need, so I don't want to be hauling half-a-ton of logs up there. What's the answer? Is it possible to get hold of logs there? Will I have to bite the bullet and take them with me? Any other solutions?

This is aimed primarily at @Matt but I'm interested in any replies. I have been thinking about the log/firewood situation for my stove - to say nothing of the firepit. I was up there at the end of September for three days/two nights and I got through quite a few logs. So I'm thinking that in January, particularly if we get the blizzards that some of you crazy bar-stewards want, we will get through quite a bit of firewood. My car is going to be quite well stacked, just with the equipment that I will need, so I don't want to be hauling half-a-ton of logs up there. What's the answer? Is it possible to get hold of logs there? Will I have to bite the bullet and take them with me? Any other solutions?
I seem to remember from past Aviemore (Jan ‘22) write ups that fuel was available at the site courtesy of the maintenance guys but it came in in big pieces. I think you would need to be able to cut and split it quite a lot smaller for your tent stove. Do you have room for an axe and bow saw?

While the maintenance guys did leave us a load of wood, we can't really rely on that. There's a B&M store in Aviemore which sells bags of kiln dried birch logs at about £4/5 each and the onsite shop does sell them too but I think they were a bit more expensive.
I'll bring as many bags as I can fit in the car anyway since I will have loads of room.

It might be worth a shot to give the site reception a ring and ask if there is a dedicated fuel/log suppliers near by?
Possibilities of getting couple of dumpy bags delivered to site....might work out cheaper in the end?

Might also be worth a thought to take a Brazier along.....or buy a cheapie there..... instead of using the large fire pit where most of the heat is lost to the breeze.
Brazier not so hungry and a more efficient use of the heat with a tarp strung around.

As a few of the other guys have said logs are cheap enough to buy when we land on site ... id take a nights worth with you just to keep you going till we hit the local shops @Paul N

While the maintenance guys did leave us a load of wood, we can't really rely on that. There's a B&M store in Aviemore which sells bags of kiln dried birch logs at about £4/5 each and the onsite shop does sell them too but I think they were a bit more expensive.
I'll bring as many bags as I can fit in the car anyway since I will have loads of room.
part of the deal with using the site is that they supply the fire wood needed for the fire pit mate :)

guys when you know the days you will be joining us please let us know arrival date and your planned depart date :)

Sorry to hear that Ricky....hope they get better soon 👍.......I bet your Grandson is nipping your heels to get out again🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back