• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland Return to Aviemore 2024 - (Pictures and write-ups).

Trip report :thumbsup:

Friday evening ... Jono arived at mine for an overnight stay before departure day ...

Saturday was spent loading the Landrover and the trailer with all kit required ..

7pm we set sail for Aviemore ..the trip up was somewhat uneventful and we arrived on site at 7am Sunday only to find the pitch (the quarry ) was a tad under water ...so when reception opened they gave me a few options to choose from. One of them was to use other pitches which were meant for people with motor homes. Went back to the guys and they agreed it was a good option. So off we went and set up ...

First night ... Well you all know what happened, we had one of the biggest storms to hit the area and my tent didn't fare well with the winds and I had to abandon ship at arount 2am and retreat to the safety of my Landrover ... When it got light I could see what had happened to my shelter .. the tension part of the ridge line had pulled from the shelter (stitching gave way ) so there was no way of holding the ridge tight .. So plan b was hatched and with the help of Jono we jury rigged it to hang off the back of the landy which then gave me an admin area to cook and keep warm in ..

Next problem to deal with was how to dry all my kit ... the site maintenance guys heard of my woes and promptly gave me free access to the site tumble dryers to get my sleeping bags dry (good lads).

Oot was kind enough to lend me one of his fan heaters from his van so I could dry the contents of the landy over the next few days ..

The weather battered us on and off for the next few days but then we had a few nice evenings and days which we made use of by sitting by the fire pit. We went off on a few wanders, checking out wild camping spots and also a trip up the mountain and to Loch Morlich ( thanks Paul - the driver )

We were sat around the fire on Wednesday evening and we caught a glimse of the northern lights. Needless to say everyone scattered for cameras .. luckily there was someone on the Elive estate ready for them and they took this picture.
northen lights Aviemore.jpg

I've been going to Scotland for a good few years now and this is the first time I've seen them ... this made the trip for me and made the weather woes worth it .

So pack up day came and we headed home ... we got to just north of Liverpool and the new bearings gave up on the trailer a quick pit stop to try and fit a spare bearing but the hub was damaged and I did what I could to keep us rolling. Next stop was Bristol train station to drop Jono off for his train .. quick inspection showed the new bearing was not happy .. without much choice I decided to press on and run for Bill's house. As expected the bearing expired 50 miles from Exeter. So, in spectaculur fashion we filled the M5 motorway with the biggest light show (sparks) from the axle stub as the wheel departed never to be seen again. The decision was made to decant all kit into thr landy and we had and to leave the trailer on the side of the motorway on a patch of grass (off the hard sholder )

We then made tracks home for the last 100 miles which was uneventfull (thank f*ck )

Kit is now unloaded and drying. The tent will be taken out to mother's house for remedial repairs and a few extra lines of stitching ..

Would like to thank @cuckoo996 @CaveDweller @G1ZmO and @Oot for their company and the banter - it was an interesting week weather wise, which was made bearable by the great guys I shared it with :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Five Days of Wild Wonders (and Wild Weather) in Aviemore

My five-day wild camping adventure in Aviemore wasn't your typical postcard panorama. It was a rollercoaster of weather, a masterclass in resilience, and a testament to the enduring power of combined knowledge, teamwork, and a joint love of Nature and the wild.

My journey started with a rumbling train ride from West Wales, weaving through the rolling valleys until it coughed me out in Pontyclun. There, my adventurous comrade @CaveDweller awaited. Filled with excitement and grinning like bandits, we loaded up piled into his car and headed to Plymouth to meet @Matt. After an over night stay with my host and his family, we piled into Matt's trusty
Land Rover – our chariot for the night.
The long dark journey to the highlands began, an exciting, but gladly uneventful trip.

As we left the hypnotising motorway behind, plunging into the wilderness, headlights slicing through the inky darkness, until at day break, we arrived at Dalraddy and Alvie estate, our base camp for the next 5 days. I was, filled with the promise of starry skies and crisp mountain air.

The first night, however, proved that the Highlands play by their own rules!
Storm, "Isha" came at us. Teeth bared and howling like a banshee, she descended upon the camp.
Matt's tent, sadly, lost the battle, its fabric flapping in defeat. He retreated to the Land Rover, his new home for the rest of the trip, having no choice but to leave me and Glenn to hunker down in our shelters. All of us hoping for dawn, sleeping by the drumming rain and the wind's angry symphony.
Early the next morning, we clubbed together and fasioned Matt's shelter into an admin area, that thankfully even after the 2nd storm, "Jaqueline" stood to last the rest of our trip.

Next came three days of meteorological mayhem. Rain, wind and sleet became our constant companion, turning paths into icy rivulets and testing our morale. But within the cold and soggy confines of our tents, laughter still erupted, stories were spun, and plans for sunnier days were hatched.

Day four, finally, brought a break in the clouds. We clambered out, stiff-limbed but spirits soaring, and set off with our chauffer, @G1ZmO , for the Cairngorm summit. As Paul drove us towards our destination, jagged, snow dappled peaks pierced the azure, and the exhilarating sight of the mountains and crisp bite of fresh air – pure Highland magic!
We arrived at the summit car park, and WOW! The jaw dropping view, whipping wind, and expanse of Nature before me, just erased the dreariness of the past days.

After our trip to the mountains, we descended back down to the Queens Forest where we walked around looking for possible camp sites for our next adventure.
Another awesome sight, the expanse and majesty of the forest, the roar of the burn in its midst. I walked through the trees out into mossy Heather covered tussocks, and the backdrop of the mountains and blue sky; it was like I was in a landscape painting, painted by Mother Nature, the greatest of all artists.

Our troop then carried on to Loch Morlich,
Where we walked through a sea of green giants, Scots pine, descending into birch and willow in the valley, the odd juniper dotted beneath the canopy, crushing the berries between my fingers, the sweet, spice like smell filled the air around me.

Walking on, we reached the shores of the Loch. I sat in awe of the beauty of the rugged wilderness before me. I'm not an emotional person, but I tell you the experience of the Highlands will break the hardest of hearts.

We continued on to a lovely little tea rooms where we all stopped for a well deserved cuppa and replenishment. ( Matt sat next to me with a quiet grin while eating his slice of lemon cake)
Later returning to camp I felt a lot better for our excursion.

On day five, @G1ZmO and myself took a trip to Loch An eilein. As we walked the path from the carpark, passing an old croft that was now a museum, the loch unfolded its mirror-like surface before us.
The air was filled with the scent of pine and peat, walking amongst ancient giants that had watched over the loch for centuries like sentinels, I felt a little jealous of the trees and how lucky they were to be in this paradise.

I was awe-struck by its serene expanse, marveling at the snow-capped giants reflected in its depths. Dreaming of days when the ruined building perched in its midst was once again complete and inhabited. The walk was welcomed, as was talking and getting to know paul a little as we walked in search of the elusive red squirrel.
We saw the little blighter, stalked and waited to snap a picture of him, but alas all we caught was a blurry image of his tail!

Later that evening as we sat around the campfire, our final evening in this majestical wilderness, a little downhearted that the following morning would be my return to everyday life, like a celestial whisper, the Aurora Borealis shimmered into existence!
Emerald and amethyst ribbons danced across the moon, an ethereal spectacle that left me speechless.

That was the most heart-rendering moment in the trip for me. I remembered the stories my late father used to tell me of him seeing the Aurora himself back in the 60's when he was in the army. In those 5 maybe 10 minutes I stood gazing, it was like for the first time in 24 years he was there with me. A moment I shall never forget !

The morning of day six found us bidding farewell to Paul, his son Daniel ( who sadly, had only been able to arrive late the evening before) and Dalraddy.

The journey south was long, started off in snow and ice, then eventually reaching sun-warmed asphalt, the emerald hills of Lancashire replacing the rugged charms of the Highlands.

Just north of Liverpool, however, fate threw another curveball. The trailer's wheel bearings surrendered, But Matt, the resident MacGyver, conjured up some running repairs, and we limped on, camaraderie and half a set of bearings, holding us together until we finally reached Bristol.

There, with a tired smile and my heart full of wild memories, I bid my companions farewell before setting off for my train home.
6 hours later, I was back in Wales, the wind whispering tales in my ear of, snow capped, mountains, crystal clear lochs, never ending evergreen forests and dancing celestial lights.

It wasn't the wild camping, bushcraft, trip I had envisioned, but it was an adventure etched in wilderness, laughter, and a shared defiance against the elements. A reminder that sometimes, the best stories are forged in the stormiest weather!

I took loads of pictures, but it won't let me upload them, file size too big or something?

I'd like to thank:
@Matt for driving me all the way to the highlands and back, a very kind deed to allow me to make the trip of a lifetime.
@G1ZmO for being camp taxi, and for taking me to some wonderful places.
@CaveDweller for your company, generosity, and for taking me to Plymouth, without which I wouldnt have been able to start this adventure.

I'd like to also thank everyone on this forum for being a part of awakening my once lost adventurous spirit, love of nature, and lust for life. Which is slowly but surely returning.

Your presence and input on this forum, no matter how small, matters.

To the next adventure, it awaits!

*UPDATE*
thanks to @Paul N for showing me how to re-jig some of the photos to share

20240126_145859.jpg 20240126_101021.jpg 20240126_094508.jpg 20240126_092623.jpg 20240126_092530.jpg 20240126_092007.jpg 20240125_171521.jpg 20240125_140227.jpg 20240125_134529.jpg 20240125_134519.jpg 20240125_134050.jpg 20240125_130924.jpg 20240125_130900.jpg 20240125_130857.jpg 20240125_125924.jpg 20240125_125911.jpg 20240125_125427.jpg 20240125_125441.jpg 20240125_124910.jpg 20240125_124857.jpg 20240125_124840.jpg 20240124_135140.jpg 20240124_135137.jpg 20240124_135119.jpg 20240124_135130.jpg 20240124_135112.jpg 20240124_135019.jpg 20240124_135008.jpg 20240124_131904.jpg 20240124_131850.jpg

My five-day wild camping adventure in Aviemore wasn't your typical postcard panorama. It was a rollercoaster of weather, a masterclass in resilience, and a testament to the enduring power of combined knowledge, teamwork, and a joint love of Nature and the wild.

My journey started with a rumbling train ride from West Wales, weaving through the rolling valleys until it coughed me out in Pontyclun. There, my adventurous comrade @CaveDweller awaited. Filled with excitement and grinning like bandits, we loaded up piled into his car and headed to Plymouth to meet @Matt. After an over night stay with my host and his family, we piled into Matt's trusty
The long dark journey to the highlands began, an exciting, but gladly uneventful trip.

As we left the hypnotising motorway behind, plunging into the wilderness, headlights slicing through the inky darkness, until at day break, we arrived at Dalraddy and Alvie estate, our base camp for the next 5 days. I was, filled with the promise of starry skies and crisp mountain air.

Storm, "Isha" came at us. Teeth bared and howling like a banshee, she descended upon the camp.
Matt's tent, sadly, lost the battle, its fabric flapping in defeat. He retreated to the Land Rover, his new home for the rest of the trip, having no choice but to leave me and Glenn to hunker down in our shelters. All of us hoping for dawn, sleeping by the drumming rain and the wind's angry symphony.
Early the next morning, we clubbed together and fasioned Matt's shelter into an admin area, that thankfully even after the 2nd storm, "Jaqueline" stood to last the rest of our trip.

Next came three days of meteorological mayhem. Rain, wind and sleet became our constant companion, turning paths into icy rivulets and testing our morale. But within the cold and soggy confines of our tents, laughter still erupted, stories were spun, and plans for sunnier days were hatched.

Day four, finally, brought a break in the clouds. We clambered out, stiff-limbed but spirits soaring, and set off with our chauffer, @G1ZmO , for the Cairngorm summit. As Paul drove us towards our destination, jagged, snow dappled peaks pierced the azure, and the exhilarating sight of the mountains and crisp bite of fresh air – pure Highland magic!
We arrived at the summit car park, and WOW! The jaw dropping view, whipping wind, and expanse of Nature before me, just erased the dreariness of the past days.

After our trip to the mountains, we descended back down to the Queens Forest where we walked around looking for possible camp sites for our next adventure.
Another awesome sight, the expanse and majesty of the forest, the roar of the burn in its midst. I walked through the trees out into mossy Heather covered tussocks, and the backdrop of the mountains and blue sky; it was like I was in a landscape painting, painted by Mother Nature, the greatest of all artists.

Where we walked through a sea of green giants, Scots pine, descending into birch and willow in the valley, the odd juniper dotted beneath the canopy, crushing the berries between my fingers, the sweet, spice like smell filled the air around me.

Walking on, we reached the shores of the Loch. I sat in awe of the beauty of the rugged wilderness before me. I'm not an emotional person, but I tell you the experience of the Highlands will break the hardest of hearts.

We continued on to a lovely little tea rooms where we all stopped for a well deserved cuppa and replenishment. ( Matt sat next to me with a quiet grin while eating his slice of lemon cake)

On day five, @G1ZmO and myself took a trip to Loch An eilein. As we walked the path from the carpark, passing an old croft that was now a museum, the loch unfolded its mirror-like surface before us.
The air was filled with the scent of pine and peat, walking amongst ancient giants that had watched over the loch for centuries like sentinels, I felt a little jealous of the trees and how lucky they were to be in this paradise.

I was awe-struck by its serene expanse, marveling at the snow-capped giants reflected in its depths. Dreaming of days when the ruined building perched in its midst was once again complete and inhabited. The walk was welcomed, as was talking and getting to know paul a little as we walked in search of the elusive red squirrel.
We saw the little blighter, stalked and waited to snap a picture of him, but alas all we caught was a blurry image of his tail!

Later that evening as we sat around the campfire, our final evening in this majestical wilderness, a little downhearted that the following morning would be my return to everyday life, like a celestial whisper, the Aurora Borealis shimmered into existence!
Emerald and amethyst ribbons danced across the moon, an ethereal spectacle that left me speechless.

That was the most heart-rendering moment in the trip for me. I remembered the stories my late father used to tell me of him seeing the Aurora himself back in the 60's when he was in the army. In those 5 maybe 10 minutes I stood gazing, it was like for the first time in 24 years he was there with me. A moment I shall never forget !

The morning of day six found us bidding farewell to Paul, his son Daniel ( who sadly, had only been able to arrive late the evening before) and Dalraddy.

The journey south was long, started off in snow and ice, then eventually reaching sun-warmed asphalt, the emerald hills of Lancashire replacing the rugged charms of the Highlands.

Just north of Liverpool, however, fate threw another curveball. The trailer's wheel bearings surrendered, But Matt, the resident MacGyver, conjured up some running repairs, and we limped on, camaraderie and half a set of bearings, holding us together until we finally reached Bristol.

There, with a tired smile and my heart full of wild memories, I bid my companions farewell before setting off for my train home.
6 hours later, I was back in Wales, the wind whispering tales in my ear of, snow capped, mountains, crystal clear lochs, never ending evergreen forests and dancing celestial lights.

It wasn't the wild camping, bushcraft, trip I had envisioned, but it was an adventure etched in wilderness, laughter, and a shared defiance against the elements. A reminder that sometimes, the best stories are forged in the stormiest weather!

I took loads of pictures, but it won't let me upload them, file size too big or something?

I'd like to thank:
@Matt for driving me all the way to the highlands and back, a very kind deed to allow me to make the trip of a lifetime.
@CaveDweller for your company, generosity, and for taking me to Plymouth, without which I wouldnt have been able to start this adventure.

I'd like to also thank everyone on this forum for being a part of awakening my once lost adventurous spirit, love of nature, and lust for life. Which is slowly but surely returning.

Spoken like a true Bard Jono 🥲, it sounds awesone. 👍

I'd like to thank:

*UPDATE*
thanks to @paulfor showing me how to re jig some of the photos to share

View attachment 159228View attachment 159229View attachment 159230View attachment 159231View attachment 159232View attachment 159233View attachment 159234View attachment 159235View attachment 159236View attachment 159237View attachment 159238View attachment 159239View attachment 159240View attachment 159241View attachment 159242View attachment 159243View attachment 159244View attachment 159245View attachment 159246View attachment 159247View attachment 159248View attachment 159249View attachment 159250View attachment 159251View attachment 159252View attachment 159253View attachment 159254View attachment 159255View attachment 159256View attachment 159257
To add to updated post
20240124_131847.jpg 20240124_131706.jpg 20240124_131655.jpg 20240124_131547.jpg 20240124_130828.jpg 20240124_130811.jpg 20240124_130343.jpg 20240124_124931.jpg 20240124_124655.jpg 20240124_124358.jpg 20240124_124353.jpg 20240124_123615.jpg 20240124_123206.jpg 20240124_121919.jpg 20240124_120729.jpg 20240124_115919.jpg 20240124_114939.jpg 20240124_114817.jpg 20240124_114603.jpg

So much happened that I completely forgot to mention Clyde and his pet Scotsman @Oot 🤣🤣

Was really nice to meet you Clyde, your human wasnt too badly behaved neither, although I think you should restrict his treats for that naughty trick he played, getting me to wake up and run out to see the deer! Willing to throw the ball anytime for you mate. 😉

All joking aside, it was great to meet you Ricky, nice to meet a fellow farm hand, and you got a wicked sense of humour on you and I only hope to see you again one day.

And thank you for the rucksack, genuinely appreciate and will look after it.

We now have his and hers matching set! Yay! 🙄
20240128_171028.jpg

Great pics and write up,just wish I could see it all again with fresh eyes like the others,but done it seen it got the teashirt ...the Joy's of living in scotland....anyway good to meet you guys....already been oot with Paul few times so knew his big ugly mush😁.......maybe join you again some time .....over and OOT😁👍

My brief write up:

What to say about this winter's forum camp.... wet, windy, challenging and a great experience.

I was called by Matt on Sunday morning as I was about to leave to say that our booked area was flooded from the snow melt and Dalraddy had relocated us. I duly arrived later in a hire car, since my old Sorento is on its last legs, and I got set up with my OneTigris Rock Fortress tipi and got my 4K Eco Chill stove.

Matt, Jono, Ricky (with Clyde) and Glen were all set up when I arrived.

The first few days were somewhat of a challenge with howling gales and driving rain pretty constantly.
We made use of the wooden shelter a few times to get out of the torrent.

20240123_203355.jpg

We managed to get some clear skies for a while on a couple of nights and I got some pics of us at the communal fire pit and the starry skies.

20240122-IMG_1001.jpg

My son, Daniel, arrived on Thursday night but unfortunately the rest of the guys were leaving on Friday morning so we only had time for brief intros and a quick picture.

20240126-IMG_1134.jpg

Daniel and I stayed until Sunday and we toured around including Cairngorm, Loch an Eilean and Loch Morlich.
On the Saturday we went on the treetop trek at Rothiemurchus and went out for pizza for dinner.
20240127_123554.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 13.09.38_c978104d.jpg

Daniel and I stopped in at Ruthven Barracks on the way home.
All in all it was a great week, if somewhat challenging at times.

Thanks for your company gents :)

Some more photos. Video to come later.

20240122_154549.jpg 20240122_154718.jpg 20240124_125643.jpg 20240124-IMG_1013.jpg 20240124-IMG_1016.jpg 20240124-IMG_1017.jpg 20240124-IMG_1042.jpg 20240124-IMG_1046.jpg 20240124-IMG_1049.jpg 20240124-IMG_1052.jpg 20240124-IMG_1060.jpg 20240124-IMG_1062.jpg 20240124-IMG_1066.jpg 20240124-IMG_1067.jpg 20240124-IMG_1068.jpg 20240124-IMG_1069.jpg 20240124-IMG_1074.jpg 20240125-IMG_1091.jpg 20240125-IMG_1097.jpg 20240125-IMG_1116.jpg 20240125-IMG_1124.jpg 20240125-IMG_1132.jpg 20240125-IMG_1133.jpg 20240126_112415.jpg 20240126-IMG_1138.jpg

Back