• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Smurf and Bam's Overnight Sausage Fest

Bam

Extremely Addicted
Just in from a wee overnighter, the plan was to head out to a bit of the Ochil's that we weren't familiar with. Forest Wanderer wasn't able to make it but hopefully we'll get out another time. We were struggling to find a decent site for ground camping and as time was marching on we decided to cut our loses and head to our regular spot about half an hour away in Devilla forest.

We set up the usual shelter in the usual spot, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it I guess.

IMG_20190609_095905.jpg

Then set about getting scran on, unlike some despotic wild campers, we run a very egalitarian (some might say slipshod) routine. One will do evening scran, the other does breakfast. As it turned out we both went for the sausage option, Smurf knocked up a great veggie sausage casserole with tatties and peas. Then it was fire time, more for our own amusement although it helped with the midgies (along with the intermittent light rain).

IMG_20190608_203257.jpg

IMG_20190608_233941.jpg

Smurf racked out about midnight and was running the diesels within 10 minutes, I sat up with the fire and the remains of my rouge flavoured 'loud mouth soup' for another hour or so, well, no point carrying it back out was there....

We both seem to get a better kip out there, I surfaced about half nine and started getting ready for my turn to do breakfast, coffee and veggie sausage, mushroom and scrambled egg wraps.

IMG_20190609_100016.jpg

IMG_20190609_102724.jpg

Doesn't look too braw but it hit the spot. Then time to pack up and head off.

A bit disappointing that we didn't get somewhere new but its handy having the 'go to' spot and hopefully we will for a while yet, its on the edge of a plantation but with outlying trees that give concealment. The fear is that at some point, it will be harvested. More phots to follow......

Some phots of our getaway spot.

IMG_20190609_103145.jpg

Here's Smurf's best side as we're heading off, its about a 20 minute walk to the car park so not too bad if you want to go in 'heavy'. If you fancy it give one of us a shout and we'll give you the guided tour.

IMG_20190609_111215.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_103151.jpg
    IMG_20190609_103151.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20190609_103216.jpg
    IMG_20190609_103216.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 106
Excellent stuff lads. Looks like a good go-to spot. :)

It is, we're lucky to have it, there's a seasonal watercourse about a hundred and fifty yards away but we take our own in generally. A good mix of open space and trees, we've had different set ups over the last few years, plenty room for a few more small ones. ;)

Just a quick addition to the other week, me and Smurf were out on saturday night again.

Had a wee bbq. One interesting point was that we found some 'normal' looking mushrooms growing, one right where we do the cooking under the tarp and a small cluster not far away, we weren't brave enough to try them but I wonder if they were 'spawned' by stuff we'd brought in and been careless with. Anyhoo.... a few more phots.

IMG_20190623_110224.jpg

Here's a few of the wee portable barby

IMG_20190622_200413.jpg

IMG_20190622_223805.jpg

Nice simple and compact set up, Amazon lured me into buying, the swines.

Just a quick addition to the other week, me and Smurf were out on saturday night again.

Had a wee bbq. One interesting point was that we found some 'normal' looking mushrooms growing, one right where we do the cooking under the tarp and a small cluster not far away, we weren't brave enough to try them but I wonder if they were 'spawned' by stuff we'd brought in and been careless with. Anyhoo.... a few more phots.

View attachment 17965

Here's a few of the wee portable barby

View attachment 17966
View attachment 17967

Nice simple and compact set up, Amazon lured me into buying, the swines.
It was a good night, I enjoyed it. The Mossies got me though, I need to wear a hat with the headnet so they can't get close as my eyebrows are all swollen and red like I've had a punch in the heid! The folks at work are looking at me suspiciously like and asking if I had a good weekend...

It was a good night, I enjoyed it. The Mossies got me though, I need to wear a hat with the headnet so they can't get close as my eyebrows are all swollen and red like I've had a punch in the heid! The folks at work are looking at me suspiciously like and asking if I had a good weekend...

Funnily enough, I've also suffered despite both of us not noticing at the time and becoming smug. Its annoying that we got complacent but its a reminder that the wee buggers are smarter than us.

Back