• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Spud advice needed (and more)

Woodlander

Very Addicted
I've always been a hobby grower but this year, I want to make a proper go of it.
I know there are a few growers on here and I'm seeking your advice.
I have some desiree seed spuds, how do I get them to start shooting? ( I know, buy them a potato gun! Groan ☺) how does the ground need to be prepared and do I need some form of fertiliser? Also got some carrot seed on the way from DT Brown, I know they need fine well draining soil, when I have grown carrots in the past, they have always been either tiny or roots have rotted? What am I doing wrong?
Plan to also grow leeks, chard, Swede, beetroot, amongst other things. Any and all advice welcome. One side of the garden is heavy clay soil, other side is what I was taught to call loam. Made two cloches yesterday and apart from salad, don't know what to put under them.
20200326_163608.jpg

Morning Jon :)

The Cloches you have made look the business mate :thumbsup:
The growers will soon be along to help out.
Like the handprints on the window by the way :rofl:

Hope you manage a good crop once you get started:thumbsup:

Morning all, my spuds have started shooting.
Do I leave them a bit longer, or plant them now?
20200404_085135.jpg
20200404_085127.jpg

I would wait a bit longer. Usually wait until the shoots are at least half inch long. I have planted them with two inch shoots. Maybe others on the forum will have different views.

yep a bit longer and if a spud has a few shoots of it you can slice it up and increase the number of plants , as for feeding I was lucky enough to get some horse manure, and i also put some blood n bone in mine. not sure what shops are open over in the UK the typical garden centres and places like B n Q will have that sort of stuff. May I ask what variety you are planting? taste wise I do like the gourmandines

yep a bit longer and if a spud has a few shoots of it you can slice it up and increase the number of plants , as for feeding I was lucky enough to get some horse manure, and i also put some blood n bone in mine. not sure what shops are open over in the UK the typical garden centres and places like B n Q will have that sort of stuff. May I ask what variety you are planting? taste wise I do like the gourmandines
Desiree, never used seed spuds before, just ones that had sprouted in the cupboard. Got lots of blood n bone

Back