• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Testing..testing.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
I've been tottering around the countryside with a Day pack since I managed to injure myself 11 months ago, and I've made a few car and bike camping trips, but the target was a proper overnight wild camp before the 12 month deadline arrived.
A new Pack and fine weather was all the excuse I needed, so yesterday afternoon I left home carrying 35 Lbs total weight in my recently acquired Berghaus Centurio 45. I also bought the two side pouches each of 10 litres, a very generous 10 litres too, so all up 65 litres. Being a tea-a-holic I carried 3 litres+of water which cranks up the weight by close on 7 Lbs. I carried extra warm kit too, probably judged unnecessary by roughty toughty Bush Crafters in this weather, but I was taking precautions against a possible leg failure and spending a few nights out, before I could crawl to somewhere helpful..:lol:

It's that time of year when the man in his little Reed eating boat spends a few days clearing the Lake of the Summer growth.
DSC00810.JPG
DSC00811.JPG

It's long arm gropes about under water cutting the Reeds off at Lake bed level.
My destination is the wood at the end of the track.
DSC00812.JPG
This track is on level ground but the rough track up the hill from the lake and carrying the loaded Pack was...interesting. The wood is mostly Field Maple, Ash, Oak and a few Hazel and Holly.
DSC00815.JPG

Part of the pack load was the rather hefty Dutch Hooped Bivvy that I was planning to use together with a German Army Flectarn Basher as top cover. Not strictly necessary I know but The weather forecast was possible showers and it's nice to have somewhere to sit in the dry.
Proverb learned a long time ago from a wise Instructor... " Any fool can be uncomfortable " :lol:
DSC00816.JPG

DSC00817.JPG

A view from the accommodation....
DSC00821.JPG

Without showing off...I have enough Packs, Bergans and other load carrying kit to equip a Battalion, but almost all of them have a feature that I don't care for or could change to suit me. Civvy Packs with mesh pockets that don't comfortably accept the surplus water bottles I use. Military Packs that are too big for simple overnight trips or with buckles and fittings that I'd like to change but have refrained because it would spoil an original pack.

I like the big 'Rocket Pocket' side pouches and in the new Pack I found a happy medium...45 Litre main body that I could increase with side pouches if I chose.
DSC00814.JPG

DSC00813.JPG

It is an extremely comfortable Pack to carry, the air flow padding system actually works and the straps fit/ spacing seem Tailor made for my build.
I much prefer exterior frame packs for heavy load carry, but 35 Lbs is not heavy, so I am really happy with the new Pack. I have just added an additional surplus ammo pouch containing my First Aid Kit
I am not a Bush Craft Chef...so meal time is not exciting for the food fanciers.:D
DSC00820.JPG

The sunlight is fading and it's that time when the wood seems to settle down for the coming night.

DSC00826.JPG

It was a quiet, still night. Owls talking to each other after Sun Set and then just the scurrying of the woodand small folk and the continual patter of the steady leaf fall on the tarp.

DSC00824.JPG
Morning. Another beautiful Autumn day. I awoke about 07.00 and just lay listening for a while and then..First job of the day? Of course Tea..:lol:
DSC00818.JPG

I struck camp about 09.00. Knowing the woodland floor is soft and lightweight pegs are ineffective, and not wishing to cut pegs, I took these..
DSC00825.JPG

They may look a bit Sea View Happy Camper Site kit, but they are excellent in soft ground and easy to find amongst the fallen leaves.

Plenty of Funghi in the wood, some obviously munched by beasties..
DSC00829.JPG
DSC00830.JPG

I am very pleased with the new pack and the trip in general. Physical/ mental doubts resolved as my load carry capability for simple overnighters is proven. A bit achey and stiff but as the man said.." You shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke"...:thumbsup:...:lol:

nice one Sax. šŸ‘

that new pack of yours looks rather like a civvy version of the NI Patrol pack (the rocket pockets do it i think), though yours is clearly improved in the back padding and ventilation area. it's surprising how well that basic design has stood the test of time. if i can pick up an extra one i thing i'll hang it on one of my LK35 frames, or maybe finish that wooden frame i'd started earlier in the year.

Features that I like that improve on the NI pack are, the padding (air flow) a hip belt and the removable pouches that come with a yoke to enable zipping together as a 20 litre Day pack. Selling well to Forces personnel apparently.
Build quality is superb, Teef.

Excellent effort Sax , whoā€™d have thought it after seeing those stapled knees eleven mo the ago ā€¦ a credit to your fortitude and survival instinct ( I tip my cap to you šŸ‘).

Dutch bivvy looks bomb proof and blends in brilliantly.

Where did you get the Centrino from ? I had a cyclops back in the eighties when HM allowed squaddies to use aftermarket kit instead of a 58 pattern pack šŸ„ŗ

Food looks first rate to , canā€™t beat a bit of smoked sausage ( oh er matron šŸ¤Ŗ)

šŸ‘

The pack came from...https://www.nicks-kit.co.uk/ I've dealt with him many times as I use a lot of surplus kit, and he's been good. The only slight hitch is he uses Hermes for large items and for this area Hermes Depot sends their parcels via Vladivostoc I think as they take days to arrive...If they arrive at all !!

The Dutch Bivvy is great, if a bit weighty for long distance carry.

Fitness recovery is going well, thanks. I left a message with a neighbour as there's no phone signal here, but no rescue was needed..:thumbsup:

Thanks Mike, it's been an interesting if at times painful year and I've had a lot of encouragement and advice that helped, both in the last 11 months and from years ago.

Even with a bivi bag Iā€™d always take a tarp; itā€™s practically impossible to administer yourself in a bivi bag unless you are a waif like ballerina with the flexibility of a Olympic gymnast. Iā€™m not and I have tried and it generally results in a damp sleeping bag when it rains!

As an alternative to the plastic pegs I have been using aluminium wide ones. They do them in different lengths and they're fairly lightweight. Work very well in soft ground.
IMG_20211016_114506.jpg

BEAUTYBIGBANG 10 pcs Screw Tent Stakes, Spiral Ground Anchor Nail Tent Pegs for Tents Works Well in Sand and Soil for Jungle Crossing Picnic Camping & Adventure BEAUTYBIGBANG 10 pcs Screw Tent Stakes, Spiral Ground Anchor Nail Tent Pegs for Tents Works Well in Sand and Soil for Jungle Crossing Picnic Camping & Adventure : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Other versions available but screw in ā€œsand pegsā€ also an option, being bright orange you can also use them as arc markers from your fire trenchā€¦..

Back