• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Making one similar to this wouldn't pose to much of a challenge.

I think for those that believe in a long term SHTF scenario they are going to go out and hunt deer all day long they want to give some thought to how they are going to get their equipment AND the butchered deer meat back out of a hard terrain area in not necessarily quick time , but economical timeframe to preserve their own energy and the meat spoiling.

some form of trolley or sack truck perhaps, but not one that is attached to my waist.

It’s more fear than I don’t like it. But if it works then it works. I have used a trolley for fishing trips and it wasn’t the best experience lol I did overload it right enough so it was very unstable

As a young infantry platoon commander the Infantry Trials and development Unit pitched the idea of a combat barrow to carry a sections bergans/day sacks etc. we all said it was a rubbish idea.

Fast forward six months and on a trip to Arnhem one of the veterens announced that the first thing he did on landing was secure a local farmers hand cart to carry the food and ammunition; he said we were deluding ourselves if we though we could man pack any great distance whilst still remaining alert and able to do the other things we wanted to do.

Artic explorers have hauled pulks/sledges for many years and seem to have worked out a way of not being dragged under the ice; long distance cyclists are hauing two and mon wheeled trailers to lighten the load on their bikes.

maybe there is a solution out there.

Sledges, carts or travois work fine in the appropriate environment but take any one of them out of that environment and they're likely to become no more than an additional burden. At least an improvised travois can be knocked together quite quickly and discarded again without any worries.

Sledges, carts or travois work fine in the appropriate environment but take any one of them out of that environment and they're likely to become no more than an additional burden. At least an improvised travois can be knocked together quite quickly and discarded again without any worries.
TRAVOIS_004_REDUCED.jpg
A travois I made a long time ago.
Keith.

Back