• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

walking sticks

Xylaria

Slightly Addicted
Me and woodstock did a one day walking stick making course. The instructor is judge for the royal welsh and was really impreesed as most of the group finshed their sticks and did very good jobs.
2012-09-19 19.08.34.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-09-19 19.08.34.jpg
    2012-09-19 19.08.34.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 145
The day started about 11.00 even though it was meant to start at 9am as someone had nicked the clamps and one of the people running the course had to nip to B&Q. He gave use a blank block of what looks like seasoned pine and we got to work on it using rasps and coarse files, when we got near to the shape we used finer and finer files finnishing of with fine grit sand paper.
We then had a half hour lunch, afterwards finnishing of the sticks by drilling the stickthe handle which already had a screw bolt inserted, we then married the both pieces using Apoxy resin and all got to lean on our sticks like farmers at market day until the glue had gone off, all finnished by 2.45 and we got a stick each.

Look great guys :)

I've got some hazel in the shed for sticks, and just got some nice antler to top them with, if they come out anything like yours i'll be a happy bunny. Think i'm going to make a staff rather than a stick though with a roe antler on top to help pick high fruit :)

Sounds like a good day, nice finish to the sticks too. well done both.

Cheers when you know how its done its a doddle to replicate it over and over.

It would likely to be carved sticks thats how I usually do them I'll take some pics of some others

2012-09-20 19.58.36.jpg From left to right , staff, two natural one piece thumb sticks, and a long crook he made me from my birthday to do foraging.

Attachments

• 2012-09-20 19.58.36.jpg
    2012-09-20 19.58.36.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 141
Back