• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Waterproof Question. Plz Help

Bruce2212

Slightly Talkative
Hi,
I'm new to bushcrafting; great fun and so much to learn (this forums been a great help) but I cant find a waterproof that's durable enough to last around fires, sharp rocks/ branches, carrying around materials and using tools. I've heard Goretex Pro jackets (like the Norrona recon) are durable, breathable and waterproof but they're well above my budget.
I'm looking to be out most weekends and am also starting a forestry degree this September so durability is my main concern. Can anyone recommend a material/ jacket that's mostly durable and waterproof for max £200 (the cheaper the better but I don't mind paying what I can for quality); breathable would be beneficial but I'm not hiking or overly exerting myself and will only use the jacket in heavy rain so it's not a priority.
Thanks in advance.

I am sorry if this might maybe sound a little provocative, don't take it personally as it is not directed against you in person: But if you worry about wear/attrition of your gear, you might as well not go outdoors. Why am I writing this? Gear is meant to be used, hence that over-careful mindset many have in the beginning needs to go (at least in my opinion).

That said: If you are indeed a beginner and have not a lot of budget, high tech gear and clothing simply are not a necessity (yet) in your case. You even write yourself: "It is not a priority" - so my advise is to get out of the "gearslut"-mindset many have and into a "What are necessities in my case?"-mindset. Again, just to be clear: This is my personal philosophy, please do not take it as a personal attack.

As @38thfoot wrote before: Dumpstores are the place to be, as are second hand shops. Years ago I went out with my standard issue poncho from the Dutch army. Still goes along if I just need some easy-to-throw-over thing against rain. Can be bought for around a tenner in Euros, so probably comparable prices in Pounds. They are not particularly breathable though, so you will definitely want to switch gear after a couple of wet days experiencing what we call "rain from the inside" (i.e. condensation in case of heavy performance and hence sweating).

About the second hand stores: Some six years ago I was lucky and scored an Icepeak jacket (shell + fleece-inlay) for some Euro 20,-. The model is unknown as the print has already been worn off, but usually those jacket sets are around 100,- to 150,-. Did not even care about the jacket being two sizes too big - still works perfectly fine, especially in winter conditions when layering.

I am saying this because in 2016 I got myself a nice Ridgeline Smock (Euro 220,-), which I love - but honestly barely use as there are just not enough bad days a year. The consequence? About half of the time I carry the Icepeak anyway, because it is more compact, almost equally waterproof and came at 1/10 of the Ridgeline's price.

Breathability, by the way, also is a matter of proper layering and not just having a high-tech jacket with Goretex, for example.
If you have particular questions - let me know. :)

I was looking at surplus stuff and have an old DPM Goretex from my cadet days, but like you said, I'm not keen on camo- especially for uni, dont want the school shooter reputation. Might get the RN smock- thanks for the advice mate :thumbsup:

I am sorry if this might maybe sound a little provocative, don't take it personally as it is not directed against you in person: But if you worry about wear/attrition of your gear, you might as well not go outdoors. Why am I writing this? Gear is meant to be used, hence that over-careful mindset many have in the beginning needs to go (at least in my opinion).

That said: If you are indeed a beginner and have not a lot of budget, high tech gear and clothing simply are not a necessity (yet) in your case. You even write yourself: "It is not a priority" - so my advise is to get out of the "gearslut"-mindset many have and into a "What are necessities in my case?"-mindset. Again, just to be clear: This is my personal philosophy, please do not take it as a personal attack.

As @38thfoot wrote before: Dumpstores are the place to be, as are second hand shops. Years ago I went out with my standard issue poncho from the Dutch army. Still goes along if I just need some easy-to-throw-over thing against rain. Can be bought for around a tenner in Euros, so probably comparable prices in Pounds. They are not particularly breathable though, so you will definitely want to switch gear after a couple of wet days experiencing what we call "rain from the inside" (i.e. condensation in case of heavy performance and hence sweating).

About the second hand stores: Some six years ago I was lucky and scored an Icepeak jacket (shell + fleece-inlay) for some Euro 20,-. The model is unknown as the print has already been worn off, but usually those jacket sets are around 100,- to 150,-. Did not even care about the jacket being two sizes too big - still works perfectly fine, especially in winter conditions when layering.

I am saying this because in 2016 I got myself a nice Ridgeline Smock (Euro 220,-), which I love - but honestly barely use as there are just not enough bad days a year. The consequence? About half of the time I carry the Icepeak anyway, because it is more compact, almost equally waterproof and came at 1/10 of the Ridgeline's price.

Breathability, by the way, also is a matter of proper layering and not just having a high-tech jacket with Goretex, for example.
If you have particular questions - let me know. :)

Thanks for the reply, no worries either, no offence taken.
I'm not at all bothered about being a gearslut (great phrase btw :D) its more about having something that will last that I can beat the crap out of year round and not worry about buying another (especially at higher prices) usually you have to pay for that type of quality but there are exceptions, you make a good point about high end stuff not being a necessity and barely using them anyway since the weather rarely gets bad enough. I think I'll stick with the cheap milsurp stuff and put the savings into some good boots/ fleeces.

Boots are very much a personal fit item; budget boots may do you well or may rip your feet to bits....

Decathlon fleeces will keep you just as warm as any expensive name brand, just use layers and for once accessorising is good; think hats, gloves, snoods/scarfes.

You don’t have to spend a lot of money although I have!!!

Most of my stuff is Peter Storm from Millets and that includes my second pair of boots, fairly inexpensive but tough and servicable

If you want to use the waterproofs for hiking, don't forget to keep the weight in the mind!

Have a look for Decathlon's Rain Cut jacket 200g and trousers 200g, Rain Cut Zip jacket 300g, and especially waterproof hunting jacket 410g and overtrousers 300 g called Solognac 100 khaki.

Because they aren't expensive, it is no problem to replace them from time to time.

As shelter (in combination with a snugpack special forces bivvy bag) and raincoat for summer times a military poncho is always a good option and even on the german market I can find britisch army ponchos in oliv green without any camo patterns for 20 €.

The Decathlon Rain Cut (Zipp) do not protect against longer during heavy rain, but in combination with a military poncho on hikes or solo in town they are a very compact packing and lightweight option.

If you are sure that you will not put the waterproofs in your ruck sack of course military surplus made from Goretex is a very good and cheap solution.
From civil production you have to pay ten times more and it is the more or less same goretex material.
Sparks do not ask for the price of your jacket. They just jump around.

Yep, better invest that money in proper boots. Milsurp also offers great options there, for as long as you find some pair that does not already have a foot imprint. I got some heavy duty M90-M400 Dutch standard military issues, available from some EUR 40,- onwards. Rather new models may cost around EUR 120,- but are worth a try.

They are heavy though, so maybe the regular, occasional hobbybushcrafter might be better off with a nice pair of Meindl.
One tip when it comes to boots: Don't order online. Boots need to fit your respective footbed and you cannot try boots in webshops. Cheap shots at items saving you EUR 10,- or so are just not worth the pain and problems resulting from bad shoe choices!

In Germany we have master Geiger in Frittlingen who tailors custom made hiking boots in your measure. In Austria Steinkogler offers this service.
And it isn't very expensive.

May be in other countries you can find masters like this too.

Altberg do made to measure boots, you can visit them in their shop in north York’s or send them an outline of your foot.

Or go to a good shop and try lots on, you don’t have to buy meindl, lowa, Scarpa boots etc there are great deals out there to be had.

Just a personal opinion, I definitely agree with mod surplus and secone hand shops.
Just a week ago scored a brand new,still in packaging, pair of crag hoppers nosilife trousers. In a local charity shop. £4!!!
As for the way you look, well as long as your warm and dry what does it matter what other people think? If they got a problem with the way you look, it's just that their problem! Think of it this way (only because I never have a budget, always in the red) you can go out and buy the latest best jacket for £200-£300. If that jacket gets ruined, that's £200-£300 you need to replace it. For that money you can buy 10 dpm gortex smocks or 5 smocks and trousers. As you grow on your journey with outdoor life, you will come to learn that functionality outweighs fashion every single time.

Ignore all the advice about mil surplus boots, you'll need all your cash for a pair of Lace up chainsaw boots. Buy the best you can. They are usually absolutely waterproof and more comfortable than the wellies. As protective equipment they should be VAT free. I usually buy the unlogo'd SIP protective gear, I dislike paying extra to advertise one of the brand leaders. I've always found that when I'm felling I end up wearing just a t-shirt no matter what the weather. As a water proof I wear an old Barbour Northumbria during breaks. It cost £30 second hand and will last year's. Good luck with the uni course...you'll be much better qualified then most of the guys out there and that equals a bit less heavy lifting as you get older. You'll also need to get and learn to maintain your own saws, more expense :eek:

Last edited:
Back