• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wax canvas bag for my new Zebra billy

Woodlander

Very Addicted
To prevent the rest of my kit getting all sooty from my cook pot, I made this bag from a broken old barbour jacket. With everything inside my Billy it's the heaviest item in my pack weighing at 2770g! Double layer base and first 3rd of the bag, single layer upper, double hemmed and double stitched with extra heavy duty 3ply nylon thread. Paracord pull cord with a birch toggle and antler bead.

Full contents of Billy can
Alpkit mytimug 650, Alpkit brulër pot stand and meths burner, mechanical tea bag, pots of salt and pepper, scouring sponge, small pill bottle filled with washing up liquid, wooden spoon, trangia pot grab, food for free pocket guide. And the dark blue Rãb stuff sack (found on the side of the road while out walking last tuesday) has my brew kit inside. All fits nicely.

Great example of recycling and handcrafting.
Nice tidy job mate and very nice hard wearing bag........good job!

That looks smart mate, great re-purposing. Always good to see other's kit, like the look of that wee wooden spoon, was it 'off the shelf' or home made ?

I gave it a like but jeez :D they are heavy, and big but you do get a lot in them, I could probably get a good weekender worth of grub in mine .................. which reminds me ?

If, like me, you don’t have the talent to work with waxed cotton I’ve found it pretty easy to work with a simple cotton pillow case which has the advantage of fitting through the washing machine when it gets grubby.

If, like me, you don’t have the talent to work with waxed cotton I’ve found it pretty easy to work with a simple cotton pillow case which has the advantage of fitting through the washing machine when it gets grubby.

Or old jeans, cut off the leg at the bottom to required length, cut a circle big enough for a base, sew it in at opposite end to the hem, the hem then makes a pre made channel for cord :)

Or old jeans, cut off the leg at the bottom to required length, cut a circle big enough for a base, sew it in at opposite end to the hem, the hem then makes a pre made channel for cord :)

Old jeans also make excellent charcloth so anything not used for bags....

For smaller pots you can use the legs of children's trousers.

In the later spring time you can get them after school at every bus stop for a large piece of chocolate.

The best is, if you watch out for boys, around 13 years old, who wear zipp off trousers.

You perhaps will have to pay a bit more, but the material will be better too.

Usually the mothers believe, that's the stuff is really lost, the boy will get replacement without any problems, so he hasn't any damage.

So you can make the deal with the same business partner every year.

Back