• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

What an unusual day?

cuckoo996

Staff member
With Em's new found passion for camping and the outdoors,
I spent most of Yesterday morning searching for wildcamping sites close to home.
Sticking within a 30 minute driving radius, as I don’t want to push the boundaries too soon, one overnighter a wildcamper does not make!

So, there I was was on the hunt for the perfect wild camping spots – secluded havens amidst nature's embrace. Little did I know, this search would lead us down a path far more interesting than just finding a place to pitch our tent.

As I scoured and contacted potential sites, my phone buzzed. It was a reply from one of the many sites I had contacted.But what the message said was unexpected – instead of a quote for pitch fees, the owner of a local glamping site, caught in the recent phosphate ban that restricts the use of certain detergents and soaps, was reaching out. The ban and othe circumstances had forced her to rethink her entire business model, and she had taken a bold decision: to transform her glamping site into a wild camping haven.

Our converstion:
Screenshot_20240204_110015_Messages.jpg Screenshot_20240204_110048_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20240204_105938_Messages.jpg

Intrigued, Me, Em and Jen met the owner, Tanya.
A lovely lady that has 2 children, and works for the National trust. she poured out her story – how the ban, legalities and personal circumstances had initially threatened her idea of making camping and glamping a livelyhood, but how it had also ignited a spark of inspiration.
With a sparkle of determination in her eyes Tanya told us how she envisions a simpler, more back-to-basics camping experience, one that resonated with the growing desire for authenticity and connection with nature.

But here's the catch: she needs help. Running a glamping site was hindered by red tape and legal walls, not only does she face this again, but for her, creating a successful wild camping experience was uncharted territory. She sought help, and through meeting us she saw our passion for wild camping and recognized we had some knowledge between us, Em in Social influencing, which the world seems to run on these days, and I with a small degree of knowledge and experience in wildcamping– the very thing that led us to seek out her land as a potential campsite in the first place.

And so, in an unexpected twist of fates, I, the semi - seasoned wild camper, and Emma the newbie with a vast knowledge of social media and the like, we agreed to lend our knowledge and experience. Together, we will brainstorm ideas for the campsite: photography, advertising and social media presence, designated fire pits, compost toilets, clear guidelines for respecting the environment, and perhaps even a communal camp kitchen.

Our reward? Free camping in exchange for help. But the reward goes beyond that, we have the chance to be a part of something unique to us, to help shape a wild camping experience, and to forge a connection with someone whose passion for the land and Nature is similar to our own.

She is still looking for help in other areas, and I directed her to several websites that offer work exchange.

It's crazy how looking for a camp site we stumbled upon a chance encounter, to become not just guests, but possible co-creators, our love for the wild leaving a lasting mark on a corner of the Welsh countryside. We are hoping to visit and experience the land first hand the beginning of March.
We haven't just found a wild camping spot; we have the opportunity to help create one!

I've always said I don't want to be rich or famous, I just don't want to be forgotten. Maybe this is the universe aligning things to make that sentiment happen?

Also on the flip side, it could be quite the opposite, could all go down the proverbial pan so to speak.

But without risk there is no adventure or reward, and its only discussions, opinions, and ideas shared, there's no financial risk etc, the worst that can happen is few months free camping and then if it flops, we've had a good time and hopefully made a friend. From where I stand, it doesn't appear that bad in the grand scheme of things?

Best of luck to you Em and the land owner.....between you I hope you all end up with a thriving wild camp site.............. and business...... and visitations blossom :thumbsup:
Oh we won't have any profit from the business, its just free camping for us, that's all, it won't be forever. just till Em is more comfortable with camping further away from home. But hopefully our input will last and be remembered. I'm not a man of money, I've had a £85,000 a year job in the past, it never made me happy. Its life and experiences I want, and it seems that's the way things are going for me 🙂

Great news Jono. Sounds like you landed on your feet there - albeit accidentally! Lucky accident! Good luck with it and send us some pictures ASAP.

£85.000 a year..........I would not get out of bed for that ;);):rofl:
Ah the difference between decimals and commas, aye Bill 🤣🤣🤣
I used to be a subterranean utilities and topographical surveyor, back in 2011 until 2013. Back then I was one of 10 or 15 people in the country qualified to use the Malar Ground Penetrating Radar, now there's too many to count!

That must have been a very interesting job mate.....shame it got over resourced in the end :(
Oh I hated it mate, boss and Co workers were nobs. Lost the job when I had a motorbike accident, right foot was on back to front. Went in 3 days later with a cast on my leg and to got handed my P45. Glad to be honest, was going through a divorce at the time so went back to a lower wage job, worked out well financially 😉

Back