• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Which Parang?

Ian

Quite Obsessed
I'm thinking of sneakily buying a Parang without the wife knowing. My local lawnmower spares shop (of all places) has the Bear Grylls Gerber one in stock for what looks like a good price (shade under £50 but I reckon I can haggle them down;)). I checked online and I can only see it for around double that price!

Has anyone used this particular tool? Any good or bad reports or any cheaper/better ones out there I should maybe be thinking about?

Any help much appreciated:)

Good price. To be totally honest I'm not entirely sure on the pros and cons of each tool. I'm looking for something multi-use, good for chopping ivy off trees, coppicing, and many other uses apart from bushcraft.

EDIT: Damn, they've got the Bear Grylls parang in there cheaper than I've found it!

Last edited:
Still got it..........fried Pigeon just a few days ago ;) shooting clean and true................

Excellent news mate. I'll let you know about the machete, thanks :)

The billhook is the traditional UK tool for all that stuff. But they are shorter and heavier. The machete i linked to is thin and light and cuts trough things better than my axes. I can easily cut through a 2" sapling with one decent swing or two quick chops with one. The length really helps too, and the bit i like most... it literally sings as it works.

Good price. To be totally honest I'm not entirely sure on the pros and cons of each tool. I'm looking for something multi-use, good for chopping ivy off trees, coppicing, and many other uses apart from bushcraft.

EDIT: Damn, they've got the Bear Grylls parang in there cheaper than I've found it!

I've got a billhook but I often find the curve of the blade gets in the way. I just fancied some variation in my armoury and if I'm totally honest, I spotted this massive blade while waiting for my mower parts and just fell in love:eek:
I also remember reading good things about the parang being a very versatile tool in the SAS survival handbook

Yeah if your in the jungle. The shape is one of a chopper, and won't slash that well, but the machete will chop and slash excellently, probably weighs less too, so would be less tiring.. If you like the look of the parang, go for it :), if you want the better tool, go for the machete. neither of them will break the bank and you could always sell either if you didn't like them. :)

i can vouch for the condor, got one for xmas, dont really see much use for uk but i wanted one just because. im pretty impressed with it...

http://www.heinnie.com/Condor-Knives/Village-Parang/p-130-8772/

I like the condor sheaths for their big blades
If i had to replace my machete it would be with either of these. . . (may have to loose my machete on the winter meet lol)

http://www.heinnie.com/Condor-Knives/Fixed-Blade-Knives/Thai-Enep/p-130-979-6972/

http://www.heinnie.com/Condor-Knives/Fixed-Blade-Knives/Bushcraft-Parang-Machete/p-130-979-10797/

In reality neither is really any use in wet and damp environments as you will spend lots of time fighting the rust, although the Thia Enep would just need the edge maintained. My days of carbon blades and battling rust are long gone lol. Lots of versions of stainless available now to chose from.

This looks interesting for a stainless machete. . .

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...e-straight-knife-wooden-handle-1pcset-p-13791

Stainless is nowhere near as tough as carbon steels. At least not the stainless used in any form of machete or large blade. You might not get em rusty as easily, but use em enough and chances are they will break. Also the steel used in them, being the cheaper steels, isn't rust proof, they will corrode as they tend to have moderate corrosion resistance only.

Yep had very light rust on the Martindale but easy removed but if you leave rust on a carbon its pitted in no time

Carbon steels develop a patina, which prevents rust. You should let carbon blades stain to build up the protection. :)

Back