• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Why are bushcraft knives and survival knife so different?

HillBill

Very Addicted
I'm currently in the process of designing a couple of "Survival knives". In my research, one thing that strikes me is the difference between what is considered a survival knife and what is considered a bushcraft knife.

Now, why would they be so different? They both need to fulfil the role of providing you with your needs in a "away from civilisation" setting.... to me a Bushcraft knife is optimised for all that it needs to do, in such a setting. They are optimised for working with wood, the material of choice for construction in the wilderness..... they are easy to sharpen...... they are plenty strong enough....... more than capable of butchering animals if needs be....

So why so different to a survival knife? Bushys are designed for living in the wilderness with.... "living in" (bushcraft) is more long term than "passing through" ( survival).....

Is it only the mentality of the practitioners? I can't see it being anything else..unless the thought is a TEOTWAWKI scenario.

Thoughts guys?​

Generally I suppose a Bushcraft knife is smaller, although no less competent, unless you want to try and hack branches off a tree ( much prefer a small saw :) )
Can do most things with a nice well made knife of modest build and size.

Marketing as usual plays a big part in influencing people, especially the new or inexperienced.

Just my thoughts mind you.

because you get those people that think a knife can do the job of a saw, axe, maul and hammer whilst still being a knife. hey each to their own but a knife is a knife, an axe is an axe, a saw is...

I'm probably FAR TO INEXPERIENCED to comment on this but after spending 18 months looking for what I consider to be MY perfect knife I have learnt a bit so I shall comment regardless and bugger the consequences ( stands in corner with book down trousers awaiting reprisal ) :p

I really can't see a great deal of difference? Yes there are lots of different types of knifes out there but surely you choose one that will fit the tasks you are planning to do? What you can afford? And something that is aesthetically pleasing to yourself?

I've never been one to personally conform to the norm (just ask my friends HAHAHAHAHA) so a title to me is just that a TITLE and I find that I go for what I like!!!

So does it really matter what it's called? As long as it's well made does the job and looks good which I'm sure it will be after seeing some of Bills work :D Who cares? The name to me is irrelevant.

Regards Mello.

It's a good question Mark. I have noticed looking around at some of the propriety knives that there are saw toothed back edges etc, but for me I see all of those "extras" as gimmicks. I see a knife as a knife (whether PE, wavy or combination is I guess down to taste) and would echo Elliott's comments re the diverse options available :)

I do wonder if some of the "gimmicky" knives are designed to appeal to the ..erm..Rambo wannabe market?

Back