• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wild camp

cuckoo996

Staff member
Impromptu wildcamp with Em tonight and tomorrow
20240219_143808.jpg

Do you think it’s because it’s surplus and needing a clean or is it just how old rubber smells and the water is taking on the taste/smell. I’m unfamiliar with using them having never had one.
What I can say is that water stored in the black NATO Jerry cans seems to stay reasonably fresh and free of plastic taste, I can recommend them even though they are bulky.

I had the same bad taste and smell problem with a brand new water bladder that I bought some time ago. A friend if mine recommended flushing it with bicarbonate of soda and water, he had done it with his. I didn't bother so I don't know if it works.

Do you think it’s because it’s surplus and needing a clean or is it just how old rubber smells and the water is taking on the taste/smell. I’m unfamiliar with using them having never had one.
What I can say is that water stored in the black NATO Jerry cans seems to stay reasonably fresh and free of plastic taste, I can recommend them even though they are bulky.
I think I'll get one of them too
I had the same bad taste and smell problem with a brand new water bladder that I bought some time ago. A friend if mine recommended flushing it with bicarbonate of soda and water, he had done it with his. I didn't bother so I don't know if it works.
I'll try this aswell

Thanks both, decided to call it a night, had a rubbish week and we are headed home. Just not our night tonight

A nice warm comfy bed awaits… Sorry the camp didn’t work out as planned, better luck next time. At least Merlin seems to be getting the hang of things and hasn’t had any insect encounters this time.

What a shame, hope you get it sorted, get back out.
Love wild (well if you can call it that) camping, but now need warmer weather.:)
It's just been a stressful week, I don't normally quit and go home, weather can't get as cold, damp and blowy here as it did in Scotland last month, I have no excuses now 😉 back out next weekend for Mrs' burfday 32 this year and she wants to go camping.

Back