• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wild food or wild night ??

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Identification please?
IMG_0704.jpeg
IMG_0703.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg

The white slimy ones are almost certainly Porcelain Fungus, are they growing on dead Beech wood? If so that would tend to confirm it. I can't see enough detail of the small bracket fungi to be able to ID them.

Difficult to say without photos of underneath and knowing what they’re growing on. I agree that it may be porcelain fungus if that is a dead beech tree. The dead give away is a coating of slippery mucus which can be washed off. The top one looks like turkeytail but it looks a bit past it for any medicinal use. (not edible but with medicinal properties)
Edit, the top one could also be Hairy curtain crust. (not edible)

Last edited:
I have no idea what tree it’s on but I think it’s about time I learned lol
Tree ID is an absolutely fundermental Bushcraft skill. Once you've mastered that you are on the road to a whole load of other things. Which wood is good, or bad, for which uses, which wood burns fast, slow, spits, gives out a lot of heat etc. Which nuts, berries, seeds, flowers and leaves are edible. Which fungi grow on which tree. Luckily there are only about 30 common native tree species in this country, so that's not too much to get your head around. Compare that to plants, with hundreds of species or fungi, with thousands of species. So yes, I agree with you, learning how to ID trees is something you should definitely try to learn, just two or three to begin with, and then keep expanding on this once you are comfortable.

Tree ID is an absolutely fundermental Bushcraft skill. Once you've mastered that you are on the road to a whole load of other things. Which wood is good, or bad, for which uses, which wood burns fast, slow, spits, gives out a lot of heat etc. Which nuts, berries, seeds, flowers and leaves are edible. Which fungi grow on which tree. Luckily there are only about 30 common native tree species in this country, so that's not too much to get your head around. Compare that to plants, with hundreds of species or fungi, with thousands of species. So yes, I agree with you, learning how to ID trees is something you should definitely try to learn, just two or three to begin with, and then keep expanding on this once you are comfortable.
I'm a carpenter and joiner, but the number of trees I can confidently name in their woodland setting I can count on 1 hand, same with birds...
I'm much better once they become lumber 🤣 not the birds though.

Back