• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Winter cold weather kit and clothing.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Been having a sort through the Winter kit.......shaking out the moth balls.
All seems to be in good order but may need to get hold of some more base layers.
Anyone else been digging around in the kit locker?

Sorted my eldest lad out with a set of Italian Army baselayers recently as he really suffers from the cold in the winter

Bought myself a set of Dutch Army " Thermowave " baselayers to use as jimjams in Scotters :thumbsup:

Looking at base layers also, new mid layer to 👍🏻 Am thinking merino wool and poly propelyne, poly prop for sleeping in and merino for walking about and such.merino wool is more Expensive tho but it doesn’t smell when I’ve had it on for a few days lol , however I can save money on the mid layer to even things up 🤔 I think 🫣

Could do with new socks tae 🤔

Got me thinking now, I think a kit check is on the cards

Looking at base layers also, new mid layer to 👍🏻 Am thinking merino wool and poly propelyne, poly prop for sleeping in and merino for walking about and such.merino wool is more Expensive tho but it doesn’t smell when I’ve had it on for a few days lol , however I can save money on the mid layer to even things up 🤔 I think 🫣

Could do with new socks tae 🤔

Got me thinking now, I think a kit check is on the cards
I like merino wool as a base layer. When it gets really cold I may have as many as three layers of natural wool under a waterproof shell layer. I also like the reversible Army surplus softie jacket and pants that can be carried in a tiny stuff sack.

For day-wear I'm sorted for Scotland. Multiple base and mid layers topped off with a full duck-down suit designed for the Arctic. It's the night-wear that I'm thinking about. I've just returned from three nights in a tent at Aviemore. The stove kept us lovely and warm in the cold evenings but during the night, when the stove was set to minimum, it wasn't throwing out a lot of heat. In good quality down sleeping bags and on a couple of nights we were still damned cold, and the temperature wasn't even sub-zero! 😳 Time to review the sleeping system. At first I considered getting an Arctic sleeping bag but with prices around the £600+ mark I had to think again. I have plenty of different sleeping bags and I think I'll use the layering system here too. Good quality down sleeping bag inside a large military style synthetic winter bag, plus some army softie trousers and a woolie pullie as PJs.

For day-wear I'm sorted for Scotland. Multiple base and mid layers topped off with a full duck-down suit designed for the Arctic. It's the night-wear that I'm thinking about. I've just returned from three nights in a tent at Aviemore. The stove kept us lovely and warm in the cold evenings but during the night, when the stove was set to minimum, it wasn't throwing out a lot of heat. In good quality down sleeping bags and on a couple of nights we were still damned cold, and the temperature wasn't even sub-zero! 😳 Time to review the sleeping system. At first I considered getting an Arctic sleeping bag but with prices around the £600+ mark I had to think again. I have plenty of different sleeping bags and I think I'll use the layering system here too. Good quality down sleeping bag inside a large military style synthetic winter bag, plus some army softie trousers and a woolie pullie as PJs.
Carp fishing sleeping bags could be an option too mate

You could supplement the bag with a thermal or fleece sleeping bag liner or you could use a cheap 1/2 season bag (Rectangular in shape) as the liner

The majority of carp sleeping bags are rectangular too which means that you will have more room to move about in

They are bulky but as you will be travelling on your own in the landy space for kit may not be an issue :)

Carp fishing sleeping bags could be an option too mate

You could supplement the bag with a thermal or fleece sleeping bag liner or you could use a cheap 1/2 season bag (Rectangular in shape) as the liner

The majority of carp sleeping bags are rectangular too which means that you will have more room to move about in

They are bulky but as you will be travelling on your own in the landy space for kit may not be an issue :)
Not looking to spend any money if I can avoid it. Yeah, fleece liner, I forgot to mention that. That will also be included in my layering system.

To help keep warm and comfortable and compliment a sleep system....... a good Sleep mat is very worth the investment......around the 6R rating.
All sorts out there....... some much better than others as far as reliability and customer service goes.

Has anyone actually slept in the army reversible softie trousers; I’ve done it a coulple of times and didn’t find them that comfy as the army seemed to go robust and bulky on the leg zips which I found dig into my ankles.

When I was in Kosovo my wife sent me some Marks and Spencer fleece pj trousers for Christmas which are amazing, something like these:

Supersoft Loungewear Bottoms | M&S Collection | M&S

Ron hill type running leggings work well as spare trousers that can be worn under waterproof over trousers or as PJs in a sleeping bag.

Has anyone actually slept in the army reversible softie trousers; I’ve done it a coulple of times and didn’t find them that comfy as the army seemed to go robust and bulky on the leg zips which I found dig into my ankles.

When I was in Kosovo my wife sent me some Marks and Spencer fleece pj trousers for Christmas which are amazing, something like these:

Supersoft Loungewear Bottoms | M&S Collection | M&S

Ron hill type running leggings work well as spare trousers that can be worn under waterproof over trousers or as PJs in a sleeping bag.

I slept in army Softie trouser the other week when in Scotland. Had a base layer on underneath them and didn't find them in any way uncomfortable. I also have a friend who swears by them as PJs in cold weather.

Always my go to warm weather clothing merino wool top and long Johns and softie suit.....although bought a vintage Finnish army wool jacket last year for the long nights beside campfire
20220902_195055.jpg

I would probably live in mine if Louise didn’t object. Lightweight and comfy, the only drawback is that they get a bit sweaty/smelly unlike wool.

We had 160 consecutive days of frost here in 2010 as well as occasional ice fog here during the daytime…that means it’s got down to at least minus fifteen Celsius. That was the year our central heating died.

I'm a Deb'n bey and I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1963 - I was 12. It was minus 15c with 20 foot snowdrifts up on olde Dartymoor! :snow-wink:
❄️🛷

Never! The Palm trees have only a gentle sway in the breeze, still in shorts and flip/flops, factor 30 and cold beers needed. I did have to turn the AC off in the car today!……….Forecast is for temperatures to absolute crash to 23c tomorrow! 😳. May need the heating soon.

Snow on Dartmoor!…….Never!…All lies I tell you…..….Fake news….Hearsay. 🤷

Never! The Palm trees have only a gentle sway in the breeze, still in shorts and flip/flops, factor 30 and cold beers needed. I did have to turn the AC off in the car today!……….Forecast is for temperatures to absolute crash to 23c tomorrow! 😳. May need the heating soon.

Snow on Dartmoor!…….Never!…All lies I tell you…..….Fake news….Hearsay. 🤷
I suppose the horizontal sleet was a mere figment as well 🧐

Back