• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scotland winter prep a few questions

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
I'm still inexperienced with winter camping so will need all the advice I can get mate.

1. I note that a lot of folk rely on a gas stove. Is wood burning too unreliable or is it a quick heat requirement?
  2. I don't currently have a small tent, will a tarp & cot be adequate?
  3. Is a hammock daft without an under-blanket.

I'm sure I'll find answers to these questions through experience over the next few months but better to ask those who know.

I'm still inexperienced with winter camping so will need all the advice I can get mate.

1. I note that a lot of folk rely on a gas stove. Is wood burning too unreliable or is it a quick heat requirement?

I'm sure I'll find answers to these questions through experience over the next few months but better to ask those who know.
a wood fire is very dependent on the type of wood you use Paul, a nice deep bed of hardwood coals can provise enough heat to cook a substantial meal. think back to our summer meet

A tarp and a camp bed are more than adequate providing the tarp is a reasonable size. The main thing about using a tarp is checking the prevailing weather. Where we are going the wind usually blows from the west so I would put my tarp up with the entrance facing north east so any wind will skate off the back rather than hitting it directly

I don't use a hammock but if |I did i'd definitely use an under blanket for added insulation

Thanks Joe,
Actually my post was really in relation to winter camping but I posted on the wrong thread LOL (that'll be last night's rum then)
I'll be trying out various configurations over the next few weeks I think. :)

Thanks Joe,
Actually my post was really in relation to winter camping but I posted on the wrong thread LOL (that'll be last night's rum then)
I'll be trying out various configurations over the next few weeks I think. :)
We've all done that Paul

A lot use gas as it's quick and easy especially if your trecking, but you can just as easily carry some dry prepared kindling to use on the floor or in a little wood stove like an empty bean can to make a brew or quick warm snack, noodles etc or even to roast a squirrel ;)

A small gas stove and small cylinder is a great way to make the initial first coffee of the day whilst getting the wood fire going.

Using a fuel block like hexamin will get the first water boiling and form the core of the subsequent breakfast or Alternatively fill a flask with the last boil of the evening and it should still be warm enough to be drinkable whilst the fire is establishing.

A small gas stove and small cylinder is a great way to make the initial first coffee of the day whilst getting the wood fire going.

Using a fuel block like hexamin will get the first water boiling and form the core of the subsequent breakfast or Alternatively fill a flask with the last boil of the evening and it should still be warm enough to be drinkable whilst the fire is establishing.

good info there 38:thumbsup:

Yes, good ideas there 38. I realised last outing that I should have taken a flask and then subsequently forgot to add it to my list. Now added! Thanks
I'll have a look for a small, compact (and cheap) gas stove also.

Cheers

There are micro stoves on eBay and Amazon (there's a review on here) that will fit with a small cylinder inside a metal Mug with room for some brew kit and a lighter.

As a infantry soldier even when I had a range of gas/petrol/ vehicle cooker options I always carried 4 hexi blocks with a lighter wrapped in a plastic bag as my emergency cook kit, takes up very little room but has proven invaluable on a number of cold wet days.

Yes, good ideas there 38. I realised last outing that I should have taken a flask and then subsequently forgot to add it to my list. Now added! Thanks
I'll have a look for a small, compact (and cheap) gas stove also.

Cheers

You could always get one of these instead of a flask Paul

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifeventur...86590&sr=1-4&keywords=lifeventure+thermal+mug

I have been using one for years. Make a brew before leaving home & when you arrive at camp you have an instant cuppa. You can also make yourself a brew at camp safe in the knowledge that whilst you are pottering around doing various tasks your coffee will still be warm when you need a slurp. :thumbsup:

Providing that you remember to put the lid on. That is if you remember to bring the lid with you !

Oh & don't forget the coffee ! :D

You could always get one of these instead of a flask Paul

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifeventur...86590&sr=1-4&keywords=lifeventure+thermal+mug

I have been using one for years. Make a brew before leaving home & when you arrive at camp you have an instant cuppa. You can also make yourself a brew at camp safe in the knowledge that whilst you are pottering around doing various tasks your coffee will still be warm when you need a slurp. :thumbsup:

Providing that you remember to put the lid on. That is if you remember to bring the lid with you !

Oh & don't forget the coffee ! :D
you can be so cruel Neil:D

My 2penneth
A gas stove with cold weather canister, Coleman go down to -28 if you believe the hype ? for a quick and convenient brew / meal.

A tarp as a tent or A frame ? I think as an A frame it might get a bit gusty, try making a tarp tent, see if your cot will fit.

Yes, short and sweet, or make a cocoon, see my new thread :)

Thanks Bop, Well, I want to be as 'out in the open' as possible so will probably just put the tarp up to cover my back and protect if it rains so that its still open on 3 sides. Just looked at the map again and that part of the glen runs SW to NE so it could be a wee bit of a wind tunnel too. LOL

Thanks Bop, Well, I want to be as 'out in the open' as possible so will probably just put the tarp up to cover my back and protect if it rains so that its still open on 3 sides. Just looked at the map again and that part of the glen runs SW to NE so it could be a wee bit of a wind tunnel too. LOL
then stick your tarp up facing slightly off north Paul so the wind will skate off the back rather than hitting it full on. As a rule of thumb I pitch my tarp about 45 degrees to the prevailing wind

Last edited:
There's nothing like being in the open but if temps drop with wind chill it could be dangerous, not sure on what sleep system and head gear you'll be wearing, having said that if I hammock it then I'll be fully enclosed in a cocoon, plus sleeping bags plus clothing to suit.

There's nothing like being in the open but if temps drop with wind chill it could be dangerous, not sure on what sleep system and head gear you'll be wearing, having said that if I hammock it then I'll be fully enclosed in a cocoon, plus sleeping bags plus clothing to suit.[/QUOTE

long thermal pants and top thick socks and a thermal hat, also top tip if it gets really cold chuck a heat pad into your sleeping bag half hour before you get into it

There's nothing like being in the open but if temps drop with wind chill it could be dangerous, not sure on what sleep system and head gear you'll be wearing, having said that if I hammock it then I'll be fully enclosed in a cocoon, plus sleeping bags plus clothing to suit.

I have a hammock and a cot. Not sure which to take yet. There is very little flat ground so might have to opt for the hammock. Aside from that; foil backed roll mat, army arctic bag, bag liner, thermals and a trapper hat. I was toasty last time but the temp has dropped by 10 degrees since then. I have a bivvy bag too which I could take.

I have a hammock and a cot. Not sure which to take yet. There is very little flat ground so might have to opt for the hammock. Aside from that; foil backed roll mat, army arctic bag, bag liner, thermals and a trapper hat. I was toasty last time but the temp has dropped by 10 degrees since then. I have a bivvy bag too which I could take.
I'd definitely take the bivvy bag Paul

I'd always recommend at least a tarp as somewhere to administer yourself as in my experience if the weather is bad then the transition from outside a bivi bag to inside a bivi bag is practically impossible without getting the sleeping bag wet. with a tarp yopu have cover to remove waterproofs, change socks if wet, remove damp layers etc and something to keep your kit (relatively) dry overnight.

Back