• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

yep sticking with domed

Medwayman

Quite Addicted

General consensus over the years generally goes for domed. That's what the squirrel thought this morning...…………….:sneaky:

Interesting post. Most members at my old club near Sheffield used JSB for both FT and HFT. I bought half a sleeve off the secretary at an advantageous price. Unfortunately neither of my BSA rifles could get on with them. The Ultra was grouping like a shot gun. After discussion and advice I managed to sell them for a small profit. I then followed the advice and got the biggest diameter Defiant pellets available. (Think they were 4.54 mm dia. for my .177). Really good results and still using them today but now made by H&N and marketed as Sniper Light. Apparently the BSA barrels are a bit fussy and like big pellets. Nothing wrong with JSB but it's "horses for courses". One of the other popular domed pellets is the Air Arms Diabolo Field. Lots of the competition boys using them. Like the defiant they are quite soft and form well into the rifling of the barrel.

+1 for AA Diablo Field for my Weihrauch. Definitely horses etc...…..as long as they are domed horses!!

Was enjoying a sesh plinking in the garden and was hitting a beaked bean can at 120 feet, what sort of range does my Rifle have before it starts dropping power off? I have not got a clue?

The power of your rifle will remain constant (exception temperature).....its the pellet velocity/trajectory and kinetic energy at the target that will drop off over distance.

Those Beaked cans take some knocking over ;):D

Reactions: lol
Exactly.
A 177 will move faster and maintain a flatter trajectory for longer than a 22.(all other factors being equal)
My scope is zeroed for 30x on my 22 which is a sensible distance for rabbits and pigeons...……….

I was waiting for this one...……….

What are you wanting to kill?
There is a good argument for using a .177 for the above reasons; there is also an argument for using a .22 for hunting to maximise trauma (larger mass impacting). Although I use a .22, I have strong sympathy for the .177 argument for the following reason:

If you are hunting, it is behoven on you to ensure a clean and immediate kill, for reasons both obvious and practical. Not least of which is to have respect for that which you kill. To do that with pigeon/rabbit/squirrel....I won't shoot corvids, there is no justifiable reason in my book...…..MUST be shot in the head with an air weapon. Either a 177 or 22 will ensure an instant kill, when shot in the head for these animals: the 177 being (potentially) more accurate as stated above.
With rabbit, unless killed instantly, there is the risk of one making underground and dying with unnecessary suffering there, and being a waste. The same with pigeons flying off several hundred metres and dying over a period elsewhere.
Unless you can pretty much guarantee such accuracy, you should not shoot live prey.
I have seen rabbits and pigeon killed at ranges approaching 100m with air weapons and have shot more than 1 pigeon at well over 50 metres.

There is a very good U Tube vid somewhere of trauma to a rabbit head with both.177 and . 22 pellets.

Hope this helps?

Never have shot live prey and hopefully never intend too, and normal game type, rabbits pheasants etc

Forgive me, I don't quite understand you message?

I am still hitting this can at 120 feet, when will the pellet not have enough velocity to make the distance? 250 feet? 300?. Sorry if stupid question total new shooter here,

Sorry having problems with site, and now half my message has been lost, this is 4th attempt!!
Sorry as I misunderstood when you said "clean kill"
However,I have seen some one consistently knock a can over at 100 yards with a .177...…...how far can you accurately lob that pellet? Practice will out!!;)

Back