• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

A wild camp in the canoe (well anglers can?)

lol

Extremely Addicted
Have just done my first true wild camp, via a river and canoe. Have waited long enough, it must be a couple of years!!! :eek: :eek:
It was very difficult finding a stealth site in which to camp, and still be close to river and canoes...............
I used a tarp origami tent using paddles (a first for me) and it worked superbly, and was very spacious for my 6'4" carcass. I was using a cheap tarp to which my partner had sewn extra loops. It worked so well I have now bought a DD tarp (expensive for what they are...not that impressed with the stitching?) for future use.
Also used the large ALICE pack, another first, but wanted to be able to portage everything in one go. Pack on back, canoe on head....
1/ the large ALICE is not THAT large, and the pockets are too small really. Accessing stuff was awkward, but the lid storage did work well. I could just get everything thing in, including water (but see comment on "Lifestraw" in another thread), sleeping bag, clothes, food (BA surplus ration. Wet and surprisingly weighty) sundries, including a shovel/folding trencher. That was too weighty, getting a plastic? one........
All was ok, if a little clumsy...now looking at the Snugpak Bergan? All up weight was just over 20 kg in the end. It needs to be under 20kg, but tarp aside, I don't really have modern lightweight gear. Might need some thought! :thumbsup:
The Thermarest Trekker 20 utilising my kneel pad/sleep pad (a mechanics mat) was superb. Cooking was done on Swedish Army surplus trangia. Very good.

The trip/experience/weather was just blinding :lol::lol: Woop Woop!!!

Attachments

• mike may 2020 camp 1 (2).jpg
    mike may 2020 camp 1 (2).jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 140
  • mike may 2020 2 (2).jpg
    mike may 2020 2 (2).jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 175
@lol ...........Excellent post and pictures mate :thumbsup:
Beautiful setting and lovely river.

Good to see you out and about enjoying the peace and quiet and the weather.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup::)

Looks fabulous , kit selection is an ongoing chore , so much choice .....

I’m surprised you felt the DD was poorly stitched , always found their stuff good quality , maybe send it back and ask for a replacement ?

great to see someone enjoying the outdoors đź‘Ť

Looks fabulous , kit selection is an ongoing chore , so much choice .....

I’m surprised you felt the DD was poorly stitched , always found their stuff good quality , maybe send it back and ask for a replacement ?

great to see someone enjoying the outdoors đź‘Ť
No, the stitching isn't dodgy in that respect.....just one row in a straight line, not zig zagged? Just surprised: it'll probably be absolutely fine.

Great pictures and set up, I had a DD superlight 3x3 that had dodgy stitching, I rang them, explained what the problems were and sent it back, they sent out a new one straight away, always good comms with them.
Definitely, just had an email concerning the delivery, which required no reply. (I had just notified them that it had arrived) Excellent

Nice one Lol, good to see someone getting out, hope you had a good night. As for a spade,, I've got a small folding one that doesn't weigh too much, you'd grudge digging a foxhole with it but its fine for digging somewhere to bury a turd.

Something like this.....

faddy-1 Folding Shovel, Mini Military Survival Shovel Camping Shovel, Portable Entrenching Tool for Gardening, Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, Fishing(ArmyGreen): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks for sharing the phots.
Very similar to current blade and digs well..........

Can I just say how much I appreciate the general approval from here, on the hows and whens for my first proper wild camp after over 2 years faffing.....
Thank you! :thumbsup:

-Just been asked to repeat, next week on another river.....:eek::D

@lol

A bog in a bag weighs nothing..... And saves contaminating the few spots along the river banks..... Take it home or find a bin on exit :thumbsup:

Reactions: lol
@lol

A bog in a bag weighs nothing..... And saves contaminating the few spots along the river banks..... Take it home or find a bin on exit :thumbsup:
I have one.........the frame is quite bulky though? Certainly anything that way should be yards of the river banks....................
This is quite good, from Simon a bloke who poops in the wood......

:thumbsup:

If you can squat over a hole in the ground....... you can squat over a "bog in a bag" that is placed inside of the hole :sneaky:.......no need for the frame :whistle: :D:p

• Love
Reactions: lol
Now I've started, I can't stop............... :lol:

Up in the Broads....... a lovely fire ( the first proper fire I've lit without lighters or matches...........yeehaah!), otters outside my tarp at night, grass snake, kingfisher, bats, barn owls, harriers, buzzards.......... bliss.

My compatriot took his hammock and I the tarp again...both worked well:thumbsup::D:D

Attachments

• Dilham canal Mike 2020.jpg
    Dilham canal Mike 2020.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 128
  • Dilham Canal Mike Camp 2020.jpg
    Dilham Canal Mike Camp 2020.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Dilham Canal Mike Camp 2 2020.jpg
    Dilham Canal Mike Camp 2 2020.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 137
That looks great. I'm hunting for a roof rack for my motor at the moment, the roof rack for my old 4x4 doesn't fit, so canoe stays in the lock up for now. Hoping they'll let us move about a bit more soon,this side of the Severn.

I took my rack off and use a Handirack.....fits anything, and takes 80kg.
Of course if you are overland trekking it's no good: but a mate of mine stacked it with 4 surfboards with no worries.
It easily takes the canoe.

Had one for years, and love it....whilst I will admit it not for everyone............

Reactions: Bam
Back