• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Archery tip of the Day.

The Boogie Man

Quite Addicted
If your feather fletchings are looking a bit battered and tired, revitalise them by running them over a boiling kettle spout or pan. The feathers will pop back into place and "zip" together again.
On a side note, a perfectly spined arrow will fly straight without any feathers at all for 30yds or so.

If your feather fletchings are looking a bit battered and tired, revitalise them by running them over a boiling kettle spout or pan. The feathers will pop back into place and "zip" together again.
On a side note, a perfectly spined arrow will fly straight without any feathers at all for 30yds or so.
Good post, thank you.
Keith.

When using Nocks on wooden shafts, glue them on "Across the grain", this will ensure all your shafts are bending uniformly when shot, which enhances accuracy. Wood has different strengths when bent against or with the grain.

Number your Arrows. When you do this it helps identify which shafts fly the best, after a while you might notice number 7 is the most accurate. Note down the weight and next time you buy shafts start sorting them as close to this no 7 arrow as possible. Eventually you will end up with most of your shafts being optimal for your bow and draw length, this means better accuracy---missing stinks:evilstare:

Number your Arrows. When you do this it helps identify which shafts fly the best, after a while you might notice number 7 is the most accurate. Note down the weight and next time you buy shafts start sorting them as close to this no 7 arrow as possible. Eventually you will end up with most of your shafts being optimal for your bow and draw length, this means better accuracy---missing stinks:evilstare:
Good one:thumbsup:
Keith.

Brace Height.
This is the distance between your bowstring and the back of the bow (the portion facing away from you) or the Belly (the portion facing you) the manufacturer will specify a measurement in Inches from say 7-8 inches---8-8 3/4 Inches etc. These measurements are the range your bow is designed to be shot safely within. Finding the perfect brace height is down to the Archer, and it's simple to do, essential to learn.
You adjust the Brace height by twisting (tightening) your string to make it higher, untwisting to make it lower. It goes without saying that your string should be well waxed. Start with your bow set at the lowest brace height as recommended by the manufacturer, and gradually twist it till it raises by 1/4 Inch increments. Shoot some arrows at every interval, and as you continue to shoot (raising your brace height) you will find a spot where the bow becomes quieter and smoother to shoot, this is your perfect brace height. Note down the measurement and now you can be sure your bow is always perfectly braced:)
Too low a brace height and you run the risk of hitiing your forearm if your technique is not solid, the bow is noisier as well. Too high a brace height and you run the risk of over straining your bow limbs, especially on Wooden bows.

Brace Height.
This is the distance between your bowstring and the back of the bow (the portion facing away from you) or the Belly (the portion facing you) the manufacturer will specify a measurement in Inches from say 7-8 inches---8-8 3/4 Inches etc. These measurements are the range your bow is designed to be shot safely within. Finding the perfect brace height is down to the Archer, and it's simple to do, essential to learn.
You adjust the Brace height by twisting (tightening) your string to make it higher, untwisting to make it lower. It goes without saying that your string should be well waxed. Start with your bow set at the lowest brace height as recommended by the manufacturer, and gradually twist it till it raises by 1/4 Inch increments. Shoot some arrows at every interval, and as you continue to shoot (raising your brace height) you will find a spot where the bow becomes quieter and smoother to shoot, this is your perfect brace height. Note down the measurement and now you can be sure your bow is always perfectly braced:)
Too low a brace height and you run the risk of hitiing your forearm if your technique is not solid, the bow is noisier as well. Too high a brace height and you run the risk of over straining your bow limbs, especially on Wooden bows.
Thank you, interesting.
Keith.

Understanding Fletchings and what they do.

Fletchings stabilise an arrow in flight but also add drag. Choosing the right length and shape of feather affects the arrow in varying degrees. Many archers just pick a shape and length they like and then stick with it. The real key is understanding that a well tuned arrow shaft needs less feather than an untuned shaft. Being able to use lower fletchings means less drag and more arrow speed. You should be aiming to use the least amount of feather you can get away with, conserving as much energy as you can.

Understanding Fletchings and what they do.

Fletchings stabilise an arrow in flight but also add drag. Choosing the right length and shape of feather affects the arrow in varying degrees. Many archers just pick a shape and length they like and then stick with it. The real key is understanding that a well tuned arrow shaft needs less feather than an untuned shaft. Being able to use lower fletchings means less drag and more arrow speed. You should be aiming to use the least amount of feather you can get away with, conserving as much energy as you can.
Good one, thank you:thumbsup:

Any Archer worth his Salt knows how to make the most important part of any Archery gear-----THE STRING. There are many variations of the Bowstring but for our purposes we will look at the Flemish twist string. This type of string was used all through the middle ages and can be made by hand without any Jigs, requires only one knot (Timber hitch). This method can also be used to make cordage. The video below shows you how to make one.

Any Archer worth his Salt knows how to make the most important part of any Archery gear-----THE STRING. There are many variations of the Bowstring but for our purposes we will look at the Flemish twist string. This type of string was used all through the middle ages and can be made by hand without any Jigs, requires only one knot (Timber hitch). This method can also be used to make cordage. The video below shows you how to make one.
Thanks for this video. Making bowstrings was keeping me awake at night. (Well, not really, but when l couldn't sleep the other night it was one of the things l was thinking about.)

Now we have seen how to craft a Flemish Bowstring we will look at the "Nocking point".
The Nocking point is the place on the Bowstring where you place the Arrow prior to shooting (ps, you never FIRE an arrow--you shoot one)
The placement is crucial to correct arrow flight, this video shows you how to install one on your string.

@Kublai I am thinking of buying hubby a bow for his b'day but don't have a big budget and not sure where to look. Any tips on what I may need to spend and what type of set up is best when starting out? His only experience is a day of one to one instruction and he loved it, but one of those things that he didn't get around to following up on.

@Kublai I am thinking of buying hubby a bow for his b'day but don't have a big budget and not sure where to look. Any tips on what I may need to spend and what type of set up is best when starting out? His only experience is a day of one to one instruction and he loved it, but one of those things that he didn't get around to following up on.
Of course;) PM me with your budget and I will have a look round the outlets I know. I will give you links to both target Archery clubs and Field Archery.

Kublai
Im interested in getting proficiant with a bow.My first thought was a cross bow as i have fair bit of shooting experience and thought might be similar.
But i think i would prefer to go traditional and sinple, no compound bow or anything.

But i wouldnt know where to start when looking to buy a bow, ant tips would be apprecuiated please.

I just want something simple, as i see it a bow was good enough for hundreds of years for hunting and war fair so if the SHTF it will be good again.

First question mate, "do you have anywhere to practice"?
A traditional "field Bow" would suit your needs fine. Stay away from English Longbows as in my opinion they are not the best Bow for a beginner.
Something like this is what you need to get going---http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bows/traditional-bows/recurve-field-bows.html
any questions just ask . If interested in any clubs just give me your area and I can check out local archery clubs for you.

Last edited:
Back