• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Bass Fishing Exmouth.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Its been a few years now since I went serious Bass fishing.
With Spring just around the corner, I am starting to get some bits and pieces together in readiness for my rekindled enthusiasm.
Sold off a lot of my Bass kit a few years ago......but kept a few old favourite rods and reels.....just in case I felt the urge to get back into it......glad I did.

The two reels kept are well used and the rear drags are pretty much shot now.......so treated my self to a new "Shimano Exscence C14+ 4000XGS that I will load with 20lb Braid + a 2/3ftflorocarbon rubbing leader.

Mostly used to fish with hard lures of all shapes sizes and weights/actions.
This time around I will be using mainly soft plastics rigged for weedless fishing over some very rough beach marks......still have the odd plug along in the bag though.

Need to look out for some booted waders and a decent fishing rucksack and net.

Lucky to have the estuary here and also some good local marks to fish.

Had to have a look at the new regulations surrounding recreational Bass fishing size limits etc.
Used to catch and release mostly and will probably do the same.....if I am lucky enough to catch a sizeable one here and there it may come home for the BBQ.

When I get started (April/May) I will post up some pictures............hopefully with a few fish in the frame :D

Are there any other Bass Fisherman amongst us here?..........are you also itching to get a line in the water?

Last edited:
Sounds great , I've long wanted to get into sea fishing but not managed yet , I'm hoping to do a bit of pier fishing this year but really need someone to show me the ropes........

Tight Lines and I cant wait to see the pictures.......

Sounds great , I've long wanted to get into sea fishing but not managed yet , I'm hoping to do a bit of pier fishing this year but really need someone to show me the ropes........

Tight Lines and I cant wait to see the pictures.......

Hi Rob :)

Hope you manage the pier fishing......there is normally a friendly fisherman or two around...... only too willing to offer help👍

Tried it a few times Bill And blanked all of them (no surprise really 🤣) would love to give it a go again and probably will.... good luck to you mate and am looking forward to the pictures 👍

Tried it a few times Bill And blanked all of them (no surprise really 🤣) would love to give it a go again and probably will.... good luck to you mate and am looking forward to the pictures 👍

Hi Mark :)

Get back at them Mate..............👍

Still early for them yet..........but may go and throw a line or two anyway :D

Why not bill .... get oot there buddy you never know 👍

Always wanted to catch a bass....so I will give it another bash...need to find out a few new markers of my mate and throw a few lures out :D torness power plant was where I fished for them before. But the waves are dangerous. You could see the bass just past the brake water. Waiting on small mullet I presume as it’s teeming with mullet there. Had a go at them to with no luck :D

Last time I went I used my carp rod (don’t have it anymore) excellent rod for getting the lure out over the waves.

Nothing like fishing a good surf for them Mark.
They like a bit of well-oxygenated water.....they then have the advantage over the small baitfish.

Been shopping for a few soft plastic lures to use down here later on.

Skerries Eels

Same 4" weedless.

OSP Dolive Stick 6"

Sprat 4 1/2 28 gram.

Slug-go 6" Sandeel colour.

A line through Sandeel 6".

This little lot will cover me for just about all ground and surf conditions.......day or night.
Will also have a few Hard lures in the pack.

The new reel turned up yesterday from Japan.
It came at a very good price and I had no import tax to pay.
After cranking the handle and feeling how smooth it ran..... It made me realise just how rough my other reels had become over the years.
Mind..... They had tough life and were worked hard from both shore and kayak..... Must be 12 years old + now.

Loaded the new reel with 24ld 8 strand braid and tied on a 4ft rubbing leader of 17lb with lure clip attached.

Checked over the rods and all eyes and fittings are good to go.
Will be adding a Penn Spinfisher V1 3500/4000 for use in the surf.

Just need the water to warm up a bit now and get at them........ Might give it a go anyway though.

Just the flask to fill with tea and out the door Al 🤣

From some of your previous wild camping posts and pictures "Harwick Way?" beach looks like a prime spot for a bit of Bass fishing 👍
Get a bit of swell running there at first/ last light on a decent tide could be very productive mate 👍

Nice reel bill... can’t go wrong with shamano. Had mine for 9 years👍🏻

Cheers, Mark.

The ones I am replacing are "Shimano Baitrunners" had many hours of fun and good service from them........12 + years old now.
Rods are still good though.

Same as mine mate....can’t see past the baitrunners good all round reels👍 think mine’s is the old 2000.

Good to know the rods are still in good nick. I get rather attached to my rods lol . Got a diawa and a shimano technique. Great action.

Bet your chapping at the bit to get oot for a fish lol

Aye mate the Bait runners do take some beating..... I very nearly went the same route.

For the surf I still have my old Edd Schliffe Rock hopper and Bass rod at 11ft it punches the lures well.....the extra length is handy on large rock stages.

Also have a Shimano Beast master....... take down 4 pieces..... Lovely rod..... That one come on holidays too.

May take a look at an HTO Nebula 7 to 35gram ish..... Reviews are good on quality and build.

And yes..... Chomping at the bit mate
Not long now....... Soon be walking back to the car with nothing but an empty flask 🤣

Hto looks a nice rod bill 👍

Well tight lines and a hope your walking back with an empty flask and a full bag ;) oh you’ve sparked an interest for me🤣 will be phoning my big cousin later to sort out a wee trip :D bad influence I say 😂

Hope you get a few trips in with your cousin Mark 👍

Will only take the occasional Bass for the table mate (Personal size limit Min 47cm ) the rest........IF there are more :whistle: will be returned to fight another day :)
Went for a look at one of the marks this morning....nice surf running....but still a bit early in the season yet :(

Been having a look around at some waders for the coming seasons Bass fishing.
Used to wear waist waders (booted ) for pottering about in the shallows and surf.
Then I remembered I still have my old Bib and Brace I used when I was able to fish from the Kayak ("Palm Sidewinders")
So dug them out and will be giving them a go :)

Waterproof zip.................very handy if you need a pee 🤣

Not a lot gets into these due to the snug-fitting neoprene upper body.
The waist area can be cinched tight to offer little chance of any water entering the legs.......not that I will be swimming in them.....hopefully:whistle::D
Have some wading boots that will work well with the Bib n Brace.
Another bonus with these is, the ankle at the sock can be cinched up to help prevent gravel/sand collecting in the wading boot.

Just saved my self a few shillings.......all good.

Happy Days 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_093622.jpg
    IMG_20190308_093622.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Back