• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Even dwarfs started small - Bushcraft Equipment for Children

Erbswurst

Very Addicted
Let's talk about Bushcraft Equipment for Children!

I mean real equipment, not toys!

I am interested in good outdoor clothing for children in nature colours and equipment, that is light and small but tough, so that children can carry it and use it.

My idea is that the dwarfs should carry theyr own equipment themselves, father carries only water and food for them and especially heavy group equipment like tent, hatchet and saw and a larger pot.

Things, that can be used a lifetime may be expensive, like a titanium pot for example or a compass, clothing of course should be relatively cheap.

Important is, that the equipment is light enough to carry it. A cheap but heavy head torch isn't what I am looking for!
Better a light but expensive one, that will last for many years.

PLEASE don't come here with yellow pullovers, bright blue trousers and red jackets with Disney print!

I want to learn here something about serious bushcraft equipment in small sizes!

Last edited:
The in my opinion best knife for children is the Opinel No6 Carbone.

Blade length: 7,2cm.
Handle length: 9,3.
Length over all: 16,5cm
Weight: 27g (That is incredibly light)

The in my opinion best outdoor dishes for children are the Tomshoo kit with 750ml titanium hanging pot and 450ml cup.
It is very light, cheap and tough.

(I use myself a very similar but more expensive kit made by Toaks. That means, it can be used for many years.)

With 26g the petzl e+lite is the lightest good quality head torch I know.

It works very well, is easy to understand in its several funktions and is constructive protected against switching on it self by accident in rucksack or pocket.

I use the Solognac Steppe 300 hunting trousers myself.
This children's trousers are made from the same fabric in the same way:

That is a fast drying but spark resistant fabric, similar to NATO standards for field uniforms.

Last edited:
I am not such a big fan from camouflage clothing, but this jacket here is surely made in a very good quality.

I own several fleece mid layers from Decathlon and all are very good.

This rain poncho is very light with only 275g.

If father carries a tarp, the dwarf can carry his own ground sheet.
It is a bit to small to be used as a shelter in my opinion, it is to small as a bivvy bag, and has no eyelets to suspend it.

It covers the arms of children, and doesn't disturb when they want to grip something.

Perhaps it is necessary to shorten it, depending how small the child is.

If I look at the design of the pockets, I don't have the impression that they became better for outdoor use!

It's often not the best idea to change a classic design.

The german shirt has classic pockets.

This boots are beginning with UK size 3 /EU size 36

Last edited:
As a drinking bottle I recommend to give them a wide mouth bottle from the super market, because it is easy to fill, clean and dry them.

That is the lightest option and also the cheapest. Perhaps it is the best to use two bottles of 0,5 litres volume.

For example this here:

Matches

Matches are light weight equipment.

They teach the beginner to prepare the twigs fore the fire correctly and can't explode like a gas lighter, should they fall into the fire.

In good boy scout patrols it is tradition to give the neckerchief only to boys (or girls) who are able to light a fire with only one match.

To find a trekking ruck sack for children isn't so easy, especially if we concentrate in nature colours.

That here could fit perhaps.

With 1000g it is relatively light and with 30 litres not to small, if we want to put a sleeping bag and some other stuff in it.

I use a 34 litres ruck sack all around the year. For three seasons use it is surely large enough to carry a complete bushcraft equipment in children's sizes around, if we concentrate in the essentials.

The rucksack is mainly constructed for (smaller) adult men. Shouldn't it fit, if you buy it, you can use it yourself as a day pack or the child will grow in it.

(I own the 50 litres version of this rucksack and I like it, especially because it is so light.
It weights only 1000g too, but it would be to big for children.)

Last edited:
As a drinking bottle I recommend to give them a wide mouth bottle from the super market, because it is easy to fill, clean and dry them.

That is the lightest option and also the cheapest. Perhaps it is the best to use two bottles of 0,5 litres volume.

For example this here:

View attachment 16400View attachment 16401

With water bottles generally (not just for kids) I find a 1L bottle handy because that's what puritabs work with, it saves dicking around with them if you can just drop one in.

That is an important point I didn't think about! Thank you!

The bottle I recommended exists in a 1 litre version too:

This are 1,5 litre, 1 litre and 0,5 litre bottles.

So, if we are sure that we will take the water out of a tap in a public toilet building, a restaurant or somewhere else, the smaller two 0,5 litre bottles are recommended.
They fit in the sink better under the tap and can be stored symmetricaly left and right in the outer pouches of the ruck sack.

But should we plan to use water sterilisation tabs like "micropour forte" we should take a 1 litre bottle with us!

Adult people of course usually take two 1 litre bottles with them, but that's to heavy for children if they are full.

This microfibre cloth from the super market (Tedy) weights only 25g. It is only 30x40 cm small, but I can use it without any problems to dry myself after I took a shower.
After half the body I wring it out, and before I dry the hairs I doo it too.
Before I use it, I wipe of the water from my body down to the feet.

It is better to learn to do this, than to carry a heavy large towel around.

The small cloth I wring out in the end, before I can dry it easily outside hanging at the ruck sack. That is far better as with a larger microfibre towel, because I can't wring the same amount of water out of the large one, like I can do it with the small one, and of course the small towel is disturbing less when it hangs on the ruck sack.

Should you not find my grey one, you can buy from "Lidl" this here, it is nearly the same in another colour.

Contains two, costs next to nothing.

That is the first choice for children! Not a larger towel! Every gram counts here!!!

Last edited:
Back