• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

foot wear

I bought a pair of Jack Pyke Hunters 5 years ago despite being told that they were not good. 5 years, many miles and over 12 camps later they are still waterproof and comfortable but showing their age. A good £70 spent.

Foot wear is a very chalenging thing to me on the winter here in Norway. I allways freeze on my feet and head. To the head i have a thick wool bonnet and is ok.
To my feet i haven't find yet one pair of boots that keep it warm if i'm not moving and is relatively comfortable to walk.
I bought some and tried two pairs of wool socks but i wasn't enough.
I keep searching.
I always use thin cotton socks with thermal socks on to Flavio and my feet stay lovely and warm at minus 6. I think a lot of people lace their boots to tightly in winter conditions so the air can't circulate

A lot of people invest well in boots but get sock choice and combinations wrong, cotton for summer, wool for winter as you say joe for extreme cold: cotton under wool, the cotton ones will absorb any sweat if your feet overheat, you will only have to change the cotton ones leaving you able to leave the wool ones unchanged for a few days if you have to :)

Currently for work Im wearing my 20yr old scarpa sl walking books, comfy, warm and robust. I've also worn my non goretex lowa patrols which are the best boots I've ever had.

Summer I may wear my ksb outback dessert boots or haix dessert boots, depends on my mood.

I generally wear army issue socks, the artic issue ones in winter and the lightweight operational issue ones in summer as I have about ten pairs of each. I only wear one pair of socks as I've never found two pairs comfy or effective.

I've got a couple pair. Lowa desert elite boots, ideal dry weather summer boots. I picked them up on ebay, in very good con. The seller had just listed them as army boots, so i got em for absolute bargain ;):D I love bargains :sneaky::rofl:

A pair of Berghaus explorer trek plus gtx, which i already had, for walking the dogs in wet weather.

I could do with a decent pair of leather boots, for cold weather winter wear.

I have a few pairs of boots, Meindl desert boots, a cheap pair of lined waterproof boots from Windsors that have been better than I could have wanted, my ECW boots with liners, then my mukluks, then we get down to walking / hiking boots etc far ruining out of room in my man cave lol

Aye mate, i'm gonna need to have a good think about about some more dedicated winter kit, i wish i hadn't sold my brit army arctic bag now. easy pick another one up. I think ground dwelling my Vango hurricane beta should be ideal for winter use. Best buying winter kit now, as the price shoots up as the weather gets colder.

There is a lot to consider when buying a new pair of Hiking/outdoor boots.
I would always reccomend any body to take time out and get your feet measured and take on professional advise if you can.
Your feet will thank you......and you will suffer less.
If you have a certain brand of sock you always like to use....take a pair along with you at the fitting.
Lacing your boots too tight will restrict blood flow this is when your feet get sore and cold.
Ask about insoles...so many types out there.
Use foot powder....just a dusting.
If you are load carrying especially....you will need good ankle support and a nice cushioned sole to absorb shock.
A good grip...beware because some soles are lethal on slippery surfaces such as rock even though they have good grips.

Look or ask for the usual...hard wearing...waterproof....breathable......and maintain them well:)

When you have made your choice give it time to wear them in....going on a 10 mile hike in brand new boots is expecting too much to soon;):thumbsup:

If you do not do a lot of walking/hiking you can get away with far more, but even then you want good boots:thumbsup:

Aye mate :) its also good to rest the feet at the end of a long day...wash and powder them and slip into a pair of clean socks and slippers inside the tent/hammock/tarp :thumbsup:
Air and dry your boots if you can.

There is a lot to consider when buying a new pair of Hiking/outdoor boots.
I would always reccomend any body to take time out and get your feet measured and take on professional advise if you can.
Your feet will thank you......and you will suffer less.
If you have a certain brand of sock you always like to use....take a pair along with you at the fitting.
Lacing your boots too tight will restrict blood flow this is when your feet get sore and cold.
Ask about insoles...so many types out there.
Use foot powder....just a dusting.
If you are load carrying especially....you will need good ankle support and a nice cushioned sole to absorb shock.
A good grip...beware because some soles are lethal on slippery surfaces such as rock even though they have good grips.

Look or ask for the usual...hard wearing...waterproof....breathable......and maintain them well:)

When you have made your choice give it time to wear them in....going on a 10 mile hike in brand new boots is expecting too much to soon;):thumbsup:
I use two pairs of boots Bill and both suit me well, Karrimor for general hiking which are both waterproof and breathable and have a flexible sole and Peter Storm which is which are waterproof but not breathable and having a stiffer sole are more suited to rocky terrain, with both I wear an inner cotton sock and an outer woollen sock and I've never suffered any foot discomfort. Saying that in 24 years in the military I can honestly say I never had a single blister and we used to tab vast distances back in those days

Personaly Joe I much prefer wearing one pair of socks.
I never wear cotton...only wool or synthetic......but thats personal choice mate.
Rock hopping and rough/uneven terrain will soon pick out whats working and what is not:thumbsup:

Personaly Joe I much prefer wearing one pair of socks.
I never wear cotton...only wool or synthetic......but thats personal choice mate.
Rock hopping and rough/uneven terrain will soon pick out whats working and what is not:thumbsup:
Horses for courses Bill

Indeed Joe :) what works for one does not always work for others :thumbsup:

It was different back in the trenches :whistle::p:rofl:

After the recent weekend at Sharpham my tall boots had become very smelly. Entirely my own fault for not airing them properly over the two days. I googled 'smelly boots' and got advice on treatment. So I have sprayed them internally with white vinegar and after drying naturally dusted internally with bi-carb of soda. This appears to have solved the problem.

After the recent weekend at Sharpham my tall boots had become very smelly. Entirely my own fault for not airing them properly over the two days. I googled 'smelly boots' and got advice on treatment. So I have sprayed them internally with white vinegar and after drying naturally dusted internally with bi-carb of soda. This appears to have solved the problem.
The best way to treat them Dick has been around for hundreds of years..................amputate the feet and you'll never have smelly boots again:rofl:

Back