• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Government consultation on banning long blades or machetes

My take on it was that there is already legislation in place to control these bladed items in a public place and as for banning all long blades or machetes outright I am against it. It is my position that a lot of knife possession should be governed by context, is it a tool or a weapon? If it’s a tool then leave it be, if it’s a weapon then actually enforce the existing laws properly.

My take on it was that there is already legislation in place to control these bladed items in a public place and as for banning all long blades or machetes outright I am against it. It is my position that a lot of knife possession should be governed by context, is it a tool or a weapon? If it’s a tool then leave it be, if it’s a weapon then actually enforce the existing laws properly.
Identical to my view. Just enforce the existing laws more rigorously. Which is how I answered in the survey.

We need to get our perspective over or the narrative will be controlled by anti knife lobbyists that live in cities and cannot conceive of any practical use for a knife outside of a kitchen.

Who wants to by a big knife ?? 😂 It’s only a matter of time imo, am not convinced that banning anything will prevent crime, however I do believe that they will work in (tightly in) that the police will have more power for stop and search allowing them to search without probable cause.

Completed

Even as a gardener I don't see a need to have big knives although I did point out domestic knives in kitchens are more likely to be used than anything else.

I didn't like the question about seizing all knives in a property though that's a bit over the top

The trouble is you can fashion an impliment to wound or kill from a multitude of readily available materials......even if all knives dissapeared from the world.....if you were so inclined you could fashion something.

We have weak deterants and punishments...... and the muppets of this world know that only too well.

So..... my question is what punishment could be put in place that would be fitting and feard??

Good luck answering that one.......ohh and bear in mind thier human rights 🤔😏

The trouble is you can fashion an impliment to wound or kill from a multitude of readily available materials......even if all knives dissapeared from the world.....if you were so inclined you could fashion something.

We have weak deterants and punishments...... and the muppets of this world know that only too well.

So..... my question is what punishment could be put in place that would be fitting and feard??

Good luck answering that one.......ohh and bear in mind thier human rights 🤔😏
5 years minimum for carrying a knife in a public place
!5 years minimum if you harm or maim somebody
A whole life sentence if you stab somebody to death

Punishment is one thing, education would be more prevention than jail time imho…. I would hate for the police or courts to have the power to put me away for 5 years on the spot for carrying a knife… obviously I wouldn’t carry it in public places however the law is very loose on there terms of what is a good reason and where is safe to carry…. I might be a little arrogant in saying this however if I want a big knife to carry in the woods then I would like my freedom to do so… I also understand the situation I put myself in thinking this way lol.

I pose no threat to anyone as there is always a choice to walk away and brandishing a knife in anger deserves swift action. Personally I think a correspondence between police forces and lawyers about drawing a very visible line in the sand that doesn’t allow criminals and one’time’ers the chance to slip through unscathed.

Vote for me , markslawsuk 😂

Punishment is one thing, education would be more prevention than jail time imho…. I would hate for the police or courts to have the power to put me away for 5 years on the spot for carrying a knife… obviously I wouldn’t carry it in public places however the law is very loose on there terms of what is a good reason and where is safe to carry…. I might be a little arrogant in saying this however if I want a big knife to carry in the woods then I would like my freedom to do so… I also understand the situation I put myself in thinking this way lol.

I pose no threat to anyone as there is always a choice to walk away and brandishing a knife in anger deserves swift action. Personally I think a correspondence between police forces and lawyers about drawing a very visible line in the sand that doesn’t allow criminals and one’time’ers the chance to slip through unscathed.

Vote for me , markslawsuk 😂
Mark I always carry my opinel in my pocket which technically is a knife with a locking blade and our local police turn a blind eye to it. If you're in the woods doing bush crafty stuff and teaching your kiddies the law won't be dragging you off to gaol as much as some of us would enjoy the spectacle of seeing you in leg irons :lol:

Mark I always carry my opinel in my pocket which technically is a knife with a locking blade and our local police turn a blind eye to it. If you're in the woods doing bush crafty stuff and teaching your kiddies the law won't be dragging you off to gaol as much as some of us would enjoy the spectacle of seeing you in leg irons :lol:

Bloody bet yous would 😂😂

That sums up my position pretty well. The 1988 Criminal Justice Act already covers blades (excepting folding pocket knives). Use the existing law.

The issue for me is one of separation of categories which are currently being lumped together. I see machetes such as a Gollock as a tool that has a legitimate purpose; I don’t see the point of large sharply pointed blades or saw backed blades which are effectively marketed as weapons which there is very little if any legitimate purpose for.

The issue for me is one of separation of categories which are currently being lumped together. I see machetes such as a Gollock as a tool that has a legitimate purpose; I don’t see the point of large sharply pointed blades or saw backed blades which are effectively marketed as weapons which there is very little if any legitimate purpose for.

That’s the whole problem. Bushcraft knives and conservation tools such as billhooks and Martindales are being conflated with zombie knives and Anglo arms machetes that are designed to look like fantasy fiction weapons. Then you have foreign internet sellers importing helical daggers, punch daggers, belt buckle knives, combat knives etc (all banned already)… people are just panicking and a panic reaction is rarely well thought out.

Last edited:
Back