• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

guess what ....Im looking at new boots again!!!!

Speak to altberg, they used to do a sizing service where they sent you a template card to find the best fit for your foot bed and would take impressions of your foot arch. If you can get to the shop then they still do fitting service.

Be aware that most of the MOD issue altberg boots are produced by someone else to their design, there have been questions of quality that is different to those made in North Yorkshire.

Boots by any of the top makers (altberg, lowa, Meindl, hagloffs plus others) are all top quality products, it’s the personal fit that really matters.

Forgot to add my current boots are a pair of non gore-tex lowa patrols and I also wear a pair of twenty year old scarps SLs for work, both knocking on the door of £200 plus but both excellent.

The lowas are the best boots I have worn in the queens service by some margin.

Especially the most of the Lowa models are very bad constructed.

Yes, the top models are still fine. They have a good quality.
But 90% of the offer from Lowa now a days is wrong constructed!!!
That are shoes for the town in winter times and good weather dog walk equipment.

The lighter Meindl in modern design are very comfortable.
But they do not last very long.
My brother is using them only in town and in his shop, and needs every year a new pair of them! How long Meindl shoes will last depends on the model.

Old fashioned double stiched shoes are the best of the German and Austrian boots for normal use!!!

Only if you want to use them in really whet areas, the modern Goretex boots are a good recommendation, but only the really expensive ones.

Most people now a days do not hike long distances. They only walk in good weather conditions around their cars a bit. If it starts raining, people go back to the car and drive home. Most shoes on the market are only constructed for that use.
Only the old fashioned looking expensiv ones are constructed for long distances and use in every weather.

A good pair of Meindl boot costs minimum 250 € around. The cheaper ones are good shoes for car and town and dog walk around the house. Very very comfortable, yes. But nothing for real hikes with luggage in forest, hills and mountains!

And even for the town I would recommend the Meindl Sasel, not the modern looking ones! The modern ones are healthy, if you have to walk the hole day on concrete.
But for outdoors the Sasel would be the far better choice for good weather!

WP_20180615_14_30_50_Pro.jpg

Meindl Sasel.
A good summer hiking shoe.
A good shoe for winter use in town.

My lowa patrols (non goretex) are the best boots I have ever had.

Build quality, comfort and function set the standard by which I’d judge other boots.

Last edited:
Especially the most of the Lowa models are very bad constructed.

Yes, the top models are still fine. They have a good quality.
But 90% of the offer from Lowa now a days is wrong constructed!!!
That are shoes for the town in winter times and good weather dog walk equipment.

The lighter Meindl in modern design are very comfortable.
But they do not last very long.
My brother is using them only in town and in his shop, and needs every year a new pair of them! How long Meindl shoes will last depends on the model.

Old fashioned double stiched shoes are the best of the German and Austrian boots for normal use!!!

Only if you want to use them in really whet areas, the modern Goretex boots are a good recommendation, but only the really expensive ones.

Most people now a days do not hike long distances. They only walk in good weather conditions around their cars a bit. If it starts raining, people go back to the car and drive home. Most shoes on the market are only constructed for that use.
Only the old fashioned looking expensiv ones are constructed for long distances and use in every weather.

A good pair of Meindl boot costs minimum 250 € around. The cheaper ones are good shoes for car and town and dog walk around the house. Very very comfortable, yes. But nothing for real hikes with luggage in forest, hills and mountains!

You’ve answered your own criticism here.

They are a commercial company that produces a range of different boots and shoes for a range of options which enables them to make more money!

If they only sold super heavyweight mountain boots then they’d only be selling to a niche market!

As an infantryman I am emotionally attached to my feet and hence my boots and no single pair is perfect for every need. I have mountain boots, winter boots, jungle boots and desert boots; I even have a pair that look smart in the office! I then also have civilian simmer and einternwalking boots as well as my timberlands for wearing to the pub.

They all have strengths and weaknesses but fill a role.

Back