• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hammock Underblankets

Ok, I have to declare here:

I have no Idea about hammocks!

But in his set up something looks wrong, however.

That is far to heavy. It can't be, that inside that insulation material he feels cold in conditions around 0*C in normal low wind speed.

Today I walked the whole day around in 0*C with may be 20 km/h wind speed. I used a thin cotton T-shirt, a thick army cotton shirt, a thin woolen jumper like other people wear it in their office, a 450g quilted Jacket and over it a lightweight waterproof jacket. The last I closed only when it snowed.

On the legs thin breefs and normal Polyester cotton trousers, nothing more. Leather boots and warm woolen socks.

Marching speed around 6km/h.

This clothing was optimal for me.

How can it be, that he can't sleep comfortable in 3,3 kg sleeping bag, 1,5 kg under blanket 600g insulation mat, the hammock itself and some additional warm clothing?

4,8kg sleeping bag aren't enough in 0*C???

The Snugpack Special Forces Complete System (3200g) is recommended for -15*C.

The Snugpack softy arctic sleeping bag (3000g) is recommended for -20*C!!!

(They count a woolpower 200 layer within, I think.)

Around - 5*C in the SF complete system I would cook, if I wouldn't open the outer bag!

By the way: That sleeping bag can be used as a quilt very good, if you use it upside down. And I find it well in the hammock with the central zipp on top. But, how I opened this comment: I sleep in hammocks only in tropical conditions. I have no idea about winter hammock camping.

Another fault could be an empty stomach.

I need around 0*C round about 500g more sleeping bag insulation material if I didn't eat in the evening, when I ate the last meal 6 hours before I went to sleep.

I usually eat 150g dry sausage, 100g bread and in cold conditions additional 100g chocolate before I go to sleep.

That's really important. A full stomach heats very well. If it's empty we need more layers.

I am 185cm tall with 93kg body weight.
A very thin person needs more insulation.

My sleeping bags fit perfectly. If the sleeping bag is to large it doesn't work properly.

My jungle bag weights nearly the same as my SF1. The first has a wide cut, the second a moderate mummy cut. The temperature limit difference is round about 5*C.

In cold conditions I use to fold the rectangular jungle bag under my legs. That helps.

That could be a reason too.

@G1ZmO
Personally I wouldn’t worry about the weight of your gear to much when winter camping. Would pay to carry extra anyway on the basis of have and not need! .... if you take both the wool blanket and the underblanket then you can use one then use the other the next night also both the night after. A think this would give you a better scope on what’s needed and what you can leave behind....just a thought buddy....wouldn’t want you to freeze :D

That's right, but at first I would borrow a relatively new sleeping bag.
I think that's problem Nr 1.

But I also don't really count the gram in winter times.

I use a DD under blanket , a thermarest Z mat ( sometimes ) and either a Decathalon Forclaz trek 900 (10degree) down bag or an Alpkit Skyline 500 (-4degree) down bag dependent on conditions . As @Bopdude says , the biggest plus is the use of a correctly fitted under blanket to trap air and provide warmth

Last edited:
@G1ZmO
Personally I wouldn’t worry about the weight of your gear to much when winter camping. Would pay to carry extra anyway on the basis of have and not need! .... if you take both the wool blanket and the underblanket then you can use one then use the other the next night also both the night after. A think this would give you a better scope on what’s needed and what you can leave behind....just a thought buddy....wouldn’t want you to freeze :D

How about a down blanket ? lighter and better packability ......

Nearly went for one of these myself a while back @Madriverrob 👍

Certainly cheaper than buying a new Down sleeping bag........make a great bag liner or use on its own maybe.........depending on conditions.
I just use a sleep matt in my hammock set up and it works very well.....never been cold yet.

Back