• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hello, 73yrs young & I now find myself shooting rats.

Itsnotarealgun

Slightly Talkative
Hi All,
After around 20 years of non-shooting, I now find I have a requirement for the extermination of the numerous rats that have taken up residence under & around my two aviaries.
Although, as a young'un I had my share of airguns, Dianna's, Originals & suchlike but when I married in the seventies, the guns had to go. My next foray was about 15 yrs ago, with a BSA Ultra. I remember liking that gun but it slowly became too heavy for me.
So, here I am, with the need for another & I know it's notarealgun, but I have found my perfect partner. It's a Crosman 2250xl 5 shot repeater, together with Nikko Stirling MountMaster AO 3-9 x 40 Half Mil Dot & Decent Silencer.
I shoot from my bedroom window to approx 20 yds. 6 down & god knows how many more lol. Finally, thank you for a cracking site & for letting me join. Malcolm.

I was doing the same with my old BSA Cadet a couple of years ago but too many of them were getting away so I invested in a second hand AA S410 .22 :thumbsup: They are now extinct in our garden.

Hi and welcome Malcolm.
Crack on with the rats matey, any squizzers about?
What caliber you using?
It's about time I put my nv back on my ultra and got back onto rats around the farm.
Is the Crosman a CO2?

Hi, thanks for the welcomes, I knew it was a good forum. @ Manthing, dunno what squizzers are, are they woodies?
Caliber is .22 & yes, it's CO2 but you never mentioned, or queried the '5 shot repeater' lol. @ collierboy, at my age i've all on to do this online puter thing. Maybe i'll need some help with posting pics lol.

Hi, thanks for the welcomes, I knew it was a good forum. @ Manthing, dunno what squizzers are, are they woodies?
Caliber is .22 & yes, it's CO2 but you never mentioned, or queried the '5 shot repeater' lol. @ collierboy, at my age i've all on to do this online puter thing. Maybe i'll need some help with posting pics lol.
Hi Malcolm, a squizzer is a tree rat, aka a Grey squirrel.
And a warm welcome from me sir, I'm Adam or Halfcocked, whatever.

Welcome aboard.

Since the 2240/2250 platform is normally sold as a single-shot bolt action, I would assume you've fitted an aftermarket five-shot magazine and receiver. :alert:

It's an accurate rat-splatter when temperatures are reasonable, although the power drop-off for CO2 in cold weather is appalling. Keep it in the warm, and it should keep doing the job for you. ;)

vicnbob.jpg

@Half cocked, oh right! grey squirrels... sorry mate, but I could never bring myself to shoot those lovely varmints. Besides, all the trees around me are in neighbours gardens so it's a no-no.
@Coypu Hunter, you're bang on! It has a gravmag fitted, it is really awkward for me to load especially in the dark of my bedroom, but with 5 shots to go it's much easier, very smooth action on loading. Don't know how long it will last though as it's apparantly a 3D printed thing. I am only firing 20 shots per o2 cylinder & they are kept indoors, so not getting cold.
Once again, thanks for all the welcomes & I hope to be here a long while. Malc.

@Manthing, when I was in my late teens, through to mid-30's I hunted as much as the next man. Had many permissions local & Lincs/Notts. 12 guage & 410's, would shoot anything legal. I think it's an 'age-thing' now & I'm very aware of the nasty viral affliction of the Grey, but I find them strangely cute lol.
On the other hand, rats are such ugly dirty things & the main reason for buying this gun. I'll be damned if they're getting at my budgies.
P.S. Please stop calling Half cocked Half cracked! He's my mate;)

Back