• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hello

Red Phoenix

Slightly Talkative
retired soldier takes up old hobby ;)

I used to have a rifle with a spring when I was young ;) Although I've shot a lot of guns now, this has always stuck with me!
I didn't intend to start with scuba tanks and an expensive pump for an FX air rifle, I only have the chance to shoot up to 60 meters so I bought a Weihrauch HW97 KT 4.5mm.
The Weihrauch HW97 KT 5.5mm is nowhere in stock and it can take up to 8 months for an order.
I must admit it is a really solid rifle and shoots very accurate.

Welcome aboard. How does the rifle shoot out of the box? Consistent, accurate, twangy, none or all of the above...?

Welcome aboard. How does the rifle shoot out of the box? Consistent, accurate, twangy, none or all of the above...?
I just set the trigger lighter, and shoot with the H&N Baracuda Match 4.50 mm, 10.65gr pellets and a Optisan scope very consistent!
only the weihrauch muffler was sold out, so you can hear the spring during the shot, and this one would suppress this sound even more!
this is only at 40 meters but I am already very satisfied with the results

I just set the trigger lighter, and shoot with the H&N Baracuda Match 4.50 mm, 10.65gr pellets and a Optisan scope very consistent!
only the weihrauch muffler was sold out, so you can hear the spring during the shot, and this one would suppress this sound even more!
this is only at 40 meters but I am already very satisfied with the results
A moderator won't suppress the spring twang, which is transmitted through the action to your cheekbone and ear. If there's any muzzle noise, it will suppress that, but most of a springer's noise comes from the action.

The alternative to an expensive moderator that will make the rifle much longer without necessarily reducing noise is to put a roll of Scotchbrite around the inside of the 97K's "moderator", which is often left empty. If you go that route, you'll need a 7mm Allen key to get the end cap off, and possibly some gentle heat if it's glued down.

Sorry for the incorrect use of the English language and sentence structure I am a Belgian ;)
I should better have written this "and this one would suppress the sound even more!"
the spring twang doesn't bother me much, and belongs to the properties of this rifle.
And the tuning kit Vortek Weihrauch HW77/97 FP/FAC is out of stock at this time.

I wonder why someone would want to carry a heavy diving cylinder with you, just to be able to reload faster?
Accurate at 100 to 200 meters is peanuts for a real gun, but what do you need this for?
Hunting as in America and Canada is not allowed here, even pest control is only for the hunters and not with air pressure!
If I go to a shooting club I can buy a gun and I will most likely also get the license to buy this weapon!
but then I'm required to shoot my turns at the shooting range every month or I'll lose this license and gun.
This is why I chose a spring rifle, accurate and unlicensed.
The only advantage is that in Belgium the power is not limited, so you can shoot heavier pellets.

Back