• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Homemade bread

cuckoo996

Staff member
Recently started making my own bread after a bargain buy of a bread maker for £10 at my local charity shop.

I have to say it takes the hard work out of kneading chuck it all in 3hours later, fresh beautiful bread.

20240225_001114.jpg
20240225_001059.jpg

But.........

I also have a fondness of sourdough bread, and as far as I am aware it's not suitable for basic breadmakers like this Aldi one.
( I believe there is a Panasonic one that does do sourdough)

So meet Sid,
20240225_001155.jpg
my sourdough starter.
It is 8 days old today, and is nearly ready for use ( or so the recipe says, apparently it can take between a week and a month to be ready) I've never made nor used a starter before so this a complete experiment for me, so watch this space and we will see how it goes!

Decided to make my own bread as its healthier and cheaper. I can't pronounce half the ingredients in a shop bought loaf, so it can't be all that healthy for you. Plus at £12.65p for 16kg bag of Bread Flour it's cheaper than buying from the shop.

Try this Jono: Cheese and Onion Bread. Make a standard white loaf using the usual program - but omit the oil and add one cupful of grated strong cheddar and 1.5 desertspoons of dried onion powder (exact amounts not critical). Absolutely delicious, especially when still warm from the breadmaker. 😋😍

Try this Jono: Cheese and Onion Bread. Make a standard white loaf using the usual program - but omit the oil and add one cupful of grated strong cheddar and 1.5 desertspoons of dried onion powder (exact amounts not critical). Absolutely delicious, especially when still warm from the breadmaker. 😋😍
Oooff! I'm trying that! 😋
The only thing I would normally change in that recipe is the oil, I use butter in my bread making, would that make a difference to the outcome?

Oh the smell of fresh bread, set timer wake up to the smell, puts a smile on any ones face, did it for 2 years.
Only thing I found, was flour has to be strong, ended up getting rid as the shop that sold it closed, I was not on the net then, but no room on the worktop for a bread maker now:(:(

"Wet Nelly"........is that the same as bread pudding.......or a variation of?

"Wet Nelly"........is that the same as bread pudding.......or a variation of?
Bread pudding, Nelson cake, Schwarzbrotpudding, mamallena, budín de pan, Máglyarakás, All the same or similar with local variations. I put cherries in mine, as back when I was knee high to a gnat, there was a bakery van that used to come round, and I would scour the house for change or nag my Nan for 55p so I could have a slice of bread pudding. And he used to put cherries in his!

Looks nice mate......is there a recipe you would be willing to share :whistle: :D
Of course Bill 😁

Same recipe but I use different fruit, giant raisins, dried diced apple, glacé cherries. And I leave mine sit in the milk and spices in the fridge overnight.

Well @Paul N I'm giving it a go, cheese and onion bread in on its first prove as we speak.
I've added some thyme from the garden too, see how it turns out now
20240315_163239.jpg

Recently started making my own bread after a bargain buy of a bread maker for £10 at my local charity shop.

I have to say it takes the hard work out of kneading chuck it all in 3hours later, fresh beautiful bread.

View attachment 159937
View attachment 159936

But.........

I also have a fondness of sourdough bread, and as far as I am aware it's not suitable for basic breadmakers like this Aldi one.
( I believe there is a Panasonic one that does do sourdough)

So meet Sid,
View attachment 159938
my sourdough starter.
It is 8 days old today, and is nearly ready for use ( or so the recipe says, apparently it can take between a week and a month to be ready) I've never made nor used a starter before so this a complete experiment for me, so watch this space and we will see how it goes!

Decided to make my own bread as its healthier and cheaper. I can't pronounce half the ingredients in a shop bought loaf, so it can't be all that healthy for you. Plus at £12.65p for 16kg bag of Bread Flour it's cheaper than buying from the shop.
A bread makers fine if you can get bloody dough mixer out of the bottom of the loaf. Personally I now use the mixes I buy on the internet and use my beg mixer to do the work. Note, always pre heat the oven and when you put the loaf in give the oven a good spray with a water spray bottle. This creates steam which stops the crust from getting to hard

Back